diy solar

diy solar

What's my next step?

Kenny_

Solar Addict
I'll try to summarize.... I bought an Ecoflow Delta Pro....thinking that would be most flexible to expand but now I see how limited and costly that is.

I've got a couple of Renogy 550W panels hooked to it and was looking to expand those panels as well as a different system. Was/am a bit tempted to go the EG4 18 Pkv route, but damned expensive so started looking at smaller systems and was thinking to go with perhaps a EG4 6500ex and EG4 batteries... even loaded up the cart but I'm very concerned about Signature Solar Support so have more or less given up that idea.

Right now I've got the Delta Pro wired up to my critical (or really just test circuits) through a transfer switch and am using it's 3.6 Kw daily (and recharging via the two panels). This is powering my office, internet/tv/entertainment as well as microwave and toaster oven. I'm quite happy with it and it has reduced my electric bill significantly 10-20%. Thus I was/am looking to expand. (and realized the cost and limitations of the Delta Pro).

I've got 4 more of the Renogy panels due to arrive this week but nothing to hook them up to. :) :) :)

I don't necessarily want to go Full Home Off Grid (at least not yet) and would like to keep it low key cause I'm not going through channels and permits and etc. At least not yet...may or may not do that eventually. I would like to increase the capacity above the current 3.6 Kwh of the Delta Pro.

So I was thinking a single 6500ex (single phase) and 1-3 100A 48v batteries maybe just one to start and then expand....but I'm stuck but to misgivings about Signature Solar support.

Where do I go? What do I do? Give me your best suggestions! :)

I'm not sure if you've seen my thread on SRNE, I've only had it a couple / few months but they have been trouble free.
For roughly the same price (depending where you order from) as the 6500 you can have split phase out of the box and 10kw(5 kw per leg) AC output.

Also make sure you check out Current Connected if you haven't already, you'll get excellent support.

I very much enjoyed my watts247.com experience
I might just do SigSol since it seems you surmise that the equipment will be sufficient.

I'm not sure if you've seen my thread on SRNE, I've only had it a couple / few months but they have been trouble free.
For roughly the same price (depending where you order from) as the 6500 you can have split phase out of the box and 10kw(5 kw per leg) AC output.

Also make sure you check out Current Connected if you haven't already, you'll get excellent support.
Thanks ... I'll check it out

Thanks ... I'll check it out

How much output are you looking for?
That's the question isn't it. ? I'm using about 20 Kwh per day according to my Xcel bill. As I said I'm not necessarily looking to go full off grid but would like to mitigate the bill as much as possible. Also would hope to build the system up over time as opposed to replacing all at once...just due to finances. So what I was thinking to do was replace the Delta pro with slightly more... I.e. 48v 100A battery and then expand from there. Was looking at ega 6500ex and one battery immediately. Supported by my six panels.... expand to more battery and panels over time.... Would love to have two phase if possible to support dryer...stove...but not mandatory in the beginning.

My SRNE handles the dryer running and we'll pump surge no problem...
I'm really really tempted to order a 2nd one and rewire my loads panels so I can have the stove off grid as well; however between the induction cooktop, counter top convection oven, air fryer, microwave and pressure cooker I don't use the stove to much.

They are supposedly releasing a version that can be paralleled in the next year...

My SRNE handles the dryer running and we'll pump surge no problem...
I'm really really tempted to order a 2nd one and rewire my loads panels so I can have the stove off grid as well; however between the induction cooktop, counter top convection oven, air fryer, microwave and pressure cooker I don't use the stove to much.

They are supposedly releasing a version that can be paralleled in the next year...
Yep .. I mostly use the microwave and toaster oven.... Do use the stovetop and the oven on thanksgiving.?

Just messing with numbers...
Renogy 550W panels
6x 550W x 5 solar hours = 16,500Wh harvested daily (half that in winter)

This is about 80% of your 20kWh per day estimate.

48v 100A battery
48V x 100Ah = 4800Wh
This is less that 25% your daily use and about 30% daily harvest.
In the summer, you have 19h running off battery. More during winter.

Just messing with numbers...

6x 550W x 5 solar hours = 16,500Wh harvested daily (half that in winter)

This is about 80% of your 20kWh per day estimate.

48V x 100Ah = 4800Wh
This is less that 25% your daily use and about 30% daily harvest.
In the summer, you have 19h running off battery. More during winter.
Yep. Definitely need more battery, particularly on those cloudy days, but not necessarily trying to run whole house either at least not immediately....
Thx!

Yep. Definitely need more battery, particularly on those cloudy days, but not necessarily trying to run whole house either at least not immediately....
Thx!
That’s exactly where I started. I took a few of my constant loads and ran them off my 12v system till I figured out a larger system to go with.

Even now though I’m still not covering 100% of my loads all the time. You’ll want to find something that can switch over to grid if you don’t have enough battery power. That way your not having to micromanage your loads.

Yep....I'm using a manual transfer switch setup and only running 2 circuits there at the moment (office, internet)... with more power in I could power up the other circuits and can always switch back to grid if needed. Also want the ability to charge the batteries from grid if necessary. The idea is to replace as much grid power as I can (afford) but still have it as backup if needed.

Back