diy solar

diy solar

Who is still building DIY batteries

My cells form 18650batterystore were made in October 2022, 278AH is what I got, according to the excel file provided by 18650batterystore they should have been 295AH.

18650batterystore they were with in spec and a 5% error of margin is common in the industry.

I'm fine with them they work fine but you see videos of the REPT cells and Grade B 280K V3 cells that are in the 295... It can be disheartening a bit.?
Even my 6 month old cells with 80+ cycles still test better than that

Just ordered a batch of EVEs for an 8s, BMS and a nice looking case. Will post more once they arrive.

Just ordered a batch of EVEs for an 8s, BMS and a nice looking case. Will post more once they arrive.
What JJJJ should have mentioned as it is not obvious, he ordered from Amy Wan @ Luyuan Technologies through Alibaba. Not to be confused by the other Amy's ...

Yep. Very happy with the specs and quality. Will definitely be doing a show and tell once they arrive.

How can I get in contact with the real Jenny Wuu that everyone talks about and says she is great..
I am not a google or alibaba wiz, so I am afraid I would get duped by an imposter lol..
If I go to docan U.S. site in Texas Can I contact her that way?

Thank you for any help.. This newb will appreciate it..

How can I get in contact with the real Jenny Wuu that everyone talks about and says she is great..
I am not a google or alibaba wiz, so I am afraid I would get duped by an imposter lol..

Use the link @Steve_S provided.

Ordered! Eel V3 white box with the NEEy active balancer and 200A sepolos BMS V3 200A + Bluetooth.

$789.00 was my total, yes its high, but I already have 16s grade A Rept 280s and they aren't getting any younger!

Total spent so far was $2490 for the Rept cells form SFK

14.3 KW battery for around $3,300.00 only thing I don't have is a breaker for the 200 Amp... may need to mod the EEL case lets see!
@Alkaline Would you have a link to that Eel V3 white box with the NEEy active balancer and 200A sepolos BMS V3 200A + Bluetooth?
I am interested in checking that out.
Thanks
Scat

I'll send the link but now I"m not so sure about it the EEL... Posts like this don't inspire confidence:

Here is the v3 I ordered:

$789 fully loaded with the heating and 200a and bluetooth.

I have this on order for 8s. I believe it is available in other configurations. Not sure if the display is on all of them.

I'll send the link but now I"m not so sure about it the EEL... Posts like this don't inspire confidence:

Here is the v3 I ordered:

$789 fully loaded with the heating and 200a and bluetooth.
Thank you

send me a PM and I'll give you her gmail address. I've ordered from her recently, and very pleased.

Amy Zheng at Docan has also been very helpful to me. PM me and I can send you her gmail

Just got an update from Amy Wan @ Luyuan Technologies through Alibaba. The order is being shipped.

The entire process have been easy and low key. I have asked a number of questions over the past few months and she has been quick to reply. I was able to come and go as needed in the conversation and there was never any pressure to buy.

When I finally placed the order things went rather quickly on her end. There were some very nice touches which were a pleasant surprise. She included a link which had pictures of each item of my order inside each box and after they were assembled on a pallet and plastic wrapped. I also received a printout of the battery capacities which included detailed voltage and resistance ratings.

They match and batch the cells and they are listed as Automotive grade. These are Grade A and come directly from EVE.

There are only two cells per box with foam all around as expected. I had also purchased a battery box linked above and a BMS. The BMS was tucked nicely inside the battery box before being placed in another box for safe keeping.

There have been a number of very satisfied customers on this forum which prompted me to make the purchase.

I will be doing a show and tell once things arrive.

Just got an update from Amy Wan @ Luyuan Technologies through Alibaba. The order is being shipped.

The entire process have been easy and low key. I have asked a number of questions over the past few months and she has been quick to reply. I was able to come and go as needed in the conversation and there was never any pressure to buy.

When I finally placed the order things went rather quickly on her end. There were some very nice touches which were a pleasant surprise. She included a link which had pictures of each item of my order inside each box and after they were assembled on a pallet and plastic wrapped. I also received a printout of the battery capacities which included detailed voltage and resistance ratings.

They match and batch the cells and they are listed as Automotive grade. These are Grade A and come directly from EVE.

There are only two cells per box with foam all around as expected. I had also purchased a battery box linked above and a BMS. The BMS was tucked nicely inside the battery box before being placed in another box for safe keeping.

There have been a number of very satisfied customers on this forum which prompted me to make the purchase.

I will be doing a show and tell once things arrive.
64 cells from Amy in the past, all doing great. I just prefer to deal with 18650 battery in Atlanta Georgia for faster shipping and one big pallet of 40 ea. Same good cells though.

I ordered a Basen-Green through Alibaba that is suppose to be State-side for $597 including shipping. This was four days ago and hopefully I will at least see a shipping notification soon. They said the BMS was their own, but after looking at the front panel, I'm guessing that It could be a PACE (6 LED status indicators).
Gobel will sell their boxes without cells, if you order 10 and that'd be shipped from China. Works out to be $620 each including shipping and this is the version without a balancer. Some say these also have a PACE BMS, but you don't know what you have until it's in your hands.

I like the package and form of the boxes as compared to building them on a shelf, just would like the prices of a steel box to come down.
Have you received this yet? Could you give us a review? I am looking for one for my 16s CATL 302 cells.

Redodo has been selling 12 volt, 100ah RV style LIFEPO4 batteries recently at some low prices on Amazon and Ebay.
Just bought 4 of them for about $210 each with shipping.
1250 watt-hours per battery, so $210/1250 = 16.8 cents per watt-hour, assembled, with a BMS, and a 5 year warranty. Nothing to do other than charge them and hook them up. If one dies, I can pull it out and replace it and hopefully have it covered under warranty if it is less than 5 years old. The Redodo cells are made up of prismatic 100ah cells along with a BMS, stuck into an automotive style box. There is a lot of extra space in the box. There are some teardown videos on Youtube.

I looked at doing a DIY 48 volt battery but with the cost of BMS's, cells and shipping it didn't seem to make any sense.
Redodo says the built in BMS can support 4S4P without any issues.
I previously bought 4 Redodo batteries and they seem to be fairly high quality.
Together with the previously purchased 4 batteries I have about 10 kwhr of battery at 48 volts (4S2P) for about $1700. The first few I purchased were more expensive.

I've done electrical/electronic work for a long time, so hooking up DIY batteries would not be a problem, I just didn't see how it makes any sense right now.
The server rack batteries seem ok but if one dies, then what? Plus they are not cheap. If one fails I am out a lot of capacity. Do I setup a truck shipment to send it back for warranty? Do I tear it apart and try and replace the bad cell/s?
I doubt they were made to be user serviceable.

Anyway, tell me why I was wrong to purchase these Redodo batteries. I am seriously looking for honest criticism.
Is this the wrong way to go?

Depending on how my solar setup goes, I may be expanding this Redodo battery bank to 20 kwhr fairly soon. If this is the wrong direction, save me some money! :)

Thanks, Dave

Anyway, tell me why I was wrong to purchase these Redodo batteries. I am seriously looking for honest criticism.

The general consensus is that you should get batteries that have the same voltage as your system.

Multiple BMS' making up a battery are going to have problems staying balanced in series and may exhibit odd behavior under heavy load / heavy charge.

I use some 12v lifepo4 batteries in series, but I don't push them hard.

The general consensus is that you should get batteries that have the same voltage as your system.

Multiple BMS' making up a battery are going to have problems staying balanced in series and may exhibit odd behavior under heavy load / heavy charge.

I use some 12v lifepo4 batteries in series, but I don't push them hard.
Redodo has been selling 12 volt, 100ah RV style LIFEPO4 batteries recently at some low prices on Amazon and Ebay.
Just bought 4 of them for about $210 each with shipping.
1250 watt-hours per battery, so $210/1250 = 16.8 cents per watt-hour, assembled, with a BMS, and a 5 year warranty. Nothing to do other than charge them and hook them up. If one dies, I can pull it out and replace it and hopefully have it covered under warranty if it is less than 5 years old. The Redodo cells are made up of prismatic 100ah cells along with a BMS, stuck into an automotive style box. There is a lot of extra space in the box. There are some teardown videos on Youtube.

I looked at doing a DIY 48 volt battery but with the cost of BMS's, cells and shipping it didn't seem to make any sense.
Redodo says the built in BMS can support 4S4P without any issues.
I previously bought 4 Redodo batteries and they seem to be fairly high quality.
Together with the previously purchased 4 batteries I have about 10 kwhr of battery at 48 volts (4S2P) for about $1700. The first few I purchased were more expensive.

I've done electrical/electronic work for a long time, so hooking up DIY batteries would not be a problem, I just didn't see how it makes any sense right now.
The server rack batteries seem ok but if one dies, then what? Plus they are not cheap. If one fails I am out a lot of capacity. Do I setup a truck shipment to send it back for warranty? Do I tear it apart and try and replace the bad cell/s?
I doubt they were made to be user serviceable.

Depending on how my solar setup goes, I may be expanding this Redodo battery bank to 20 kwhr fairly soon. If this is the wrong direction, save me some money! :)

Thanks, Dave
Passive balancers in drop in batteries can cause hot spots on cells. A BMS you can't adjust and you have no way of knowing what's going on in side. Series wired cheap batteries like this are well know for causing balance issues. Charging them to high voltages, over 80% charged will likely be where you start to hit balance issues.
I am building a 105Ah @24v battery for slightly more than your cost per Wh but I get grade A cells and a JK 200A BMS with 2A active balancer. Guess where I would rather be? I like building them. Its fun and easy

Not having a single balancer that operates over all of the cells (48 volts) could be an issue. Redodo recommends rebalancing the batteries in a bank every 6 months. Redodo says they use Grade A cells, so we will see. I'm just going to do it and then check for balance periodically. That's pretty simple to do. TimE, are you factoring in some type of case around your cells as part of your build cost. I added up the costs to assemble a 48 volt battery with cells and a BMS and I could not get close to the Redodo cost. Where are you buying Grade A cells and a BMS that costs only slightly more than the Redodo cost of 16.8 cents per watt-hour? Are you buying cells with any type of warranty? If raw Grade A cells and a BMS was significantly cheaper than the Redodo's I would have gone that route. But everything I could find was significantly more expensive. I think the best was the B grade cells from 18650. And I'm not sure its smart to invest a bunch of $$ into B grade cells from what I have read.

16.9 cents per wh.
LF280K from 18650batterystore 16 at $2,304
JK B2A24S20P from AliExpress (JK BMS store) 1 at $125
No case (went commando)

diy solar

diy solar
Back