diy solar

diy solar

Would you opt for a miniature LiFePO4 pouch cell over a standard LiFePO4 prismatic battery?

IMO, if you’re intending to use the battery in a mobile situation where there are a lot of bumps and vibrations, a bigger dimensioned battery with prismatic cells and plenty of foam as “filler” (which doubles as cushioning) is a better fit. But in a stationary situation, smaller might be better especially in tight spaces. But most of the tight spaces seem to be in vans and RVs and boats, all high vibration environments.
I was curious is the foam used on the bottom as well as the sides of the bigger boxes for padding? If I had any rack style units in a trailer I'd prob put a sheet or two of absorbing foam on the bottom or end to reduce the impact of the bumps.

I was curious is the foam used on the bottom as well as the sides of the bigger boxes for padding?
For the 12V 300Ah that I have looked inside, the foam is only in the far ends of the case and on the BMS.

I was curious is the foam used on the bottom as well as the sides of the bigger boxes for padding? If I had any rack style units in a trailer I'd prob put a sheet or two of absorbing foam on the bottom or end to reduce the impact of the bumps.

No idea on the location of foam. Probably depends on the battery design or even the individual technician assembling a particular battery.

Looking back, part of me wishes I had diy a 300Ah battery, balanced my own cells, used a better BMS and built a cushioned case that would take less space than my prebuilt 12v 200Ah battery with basically a non replaceable BMS.

But the customer support from Powerurus has been so helpful for me as someone with my first lifepo4 battery that I have no regrets.

No idea on the location of foam. Probably depends on the battery design or even the individual technician assembling a particular battery.

Looking back, part of me wishes I had diy a 300Ah battery, balanced my own cells, used a better BMS and built a cushioned case that would take less space than my prebuilt 12v 200Ah battery with basically a non replaceable BMS.

But the customer support from Powerurus has been so helpful for me as someone with my first lifepo4 battery that I have no regrets.
Yeah no regrets with my two minis tho I'm sure they'll come out with Bluetooth versions at some point like the cheapie. Being able to move 1.2 kWh easily at ~20 lbs each is useful. However I think my next will be a sunfunkit kit, the 12V v4 version using the 304Ah Eve grade As from 18650batterystore. Maybe go all out with the heated options etc.

Yeah no regrets with my two minis tho I'm sure they'll come out with Bluetooth versions at some point like the cheapie. Being able to move 1.2 kWh easily at ~20 lbs each is useful. However I think my next will be a sunfunkit kit, the 12V v4 version using the 304Ah Eve grade As from 18650batterystore. Maybe go all out with the heated options etc.

Yeah those sun fun kits look great. I almost bit on one of those but was a bit over our budget. 300Ah would be great but 200Ah is all we need for most situations. We got 52 hours runtime during a particularly cloudy rainy spell in the dark forest and my portable panels cord wasn’t long enough to reach the one sunny spot.

If you're thinking about that, have you looked at the Licitti power box? I've done 2 now and love them, will probably make a 3rd in the future.

I can tell you from experience that they do indeed fit 4x 304Ah cells and BMS. About the only drawback to them is the completely anemic 10a MPPT charger built in. I grabbed a 40a MPPT and just put tails on it to plug into the Anderson ports and a real size solar array and grabbed a folding 160w panel to feed the onboard just for kicks.

Last edited:
If you're thinking about that, have you looked at the Licitti power box? I've done 2 now and love them, will probably make a 3rd in the future.

This looks like fun! Trying to convince the wife we need one for power outages to keep the fridge running. Super cheap and easy way to build a solar generator. Might be willing do combine this with building my first diy lifepo4 battery.

This looks like fun! Trying to convince the wife we need one for power outages to keep the fridge running. Super cheap and easy way to build a solar generator. Might be willing do combine this with building my first diy lifepo4 battery.
I just today took delivery on and assembled my third. Two for me, one as a gift for a friend. All are fine to date.

Back