diy solar

diy solar

Wow, basen rack.mounts batteries destroy a home in germany

I google translated an update article from german. It said the house blew up for “technical reasons.”

That clears things up.

Anyway, it doesn’t matter to me why this one blew up. natural gas or hydrogen gas. It’s all the same at the end of the day.

I’ve learned there is a hydrogen gas generation potential. No sense in pretending it doesn’t exist.

I’ve learned there is a hydrogen gas generation potential. No sense in pretending it doesn’t exist.
Modes of LFP gas generation:

over voltage
over current (in or out)
external heat source causing overheating of cell
physical damage to the cell

Control these, - safer overall installation.

I have never heard that about Lithium batteries. That is true with Lead Acid batteries..Some Lithium batteries give off Oxygen when hot, which is what makes some Lithium battery fires difficult to extinguish.

I haven’t read the whole thread, so sorry if I am repeating what others have said, but is overcharging of the batteries and venting of electrolyte gas a possibility? Gas boiler ignition clicks on and ignites the accumulated vapour?

is overcharging of the batteries and venting of electrolyte gas a possibility?
Definitely. With BMS failure or misconfiguration. Normally BMS would interrupt.
Gas boiler ignition clicks on and ignites the accumulated vapour?
We're debating this theory and some of us find it more or less plausible. I think it could.

You can see a hole to the right and concrete rubble laying on the floor with concrete dust laying on top of the inverter boxes. This might be just part of the basement, where the problem came from another area of the home instead of the focused area from the media, and you know the media all ways has an agenda.

Last edited:
To me the recommended smallest room from the Pytes vent test is the most interesting thing we've found. It means someone has already considered and accounted for the gas factor.

143m3, which is like 20x20x12.5, basically no less than a pretty large garage.

Passive vent is too easy and [edit] robust. Excepting a bird, wasp, or rat nest in the pipe.

Last edited:
Passive vent is too easy and almost failure-resistant. Excepting a bird, wasp, or rat nest in the pipe.
Yeah I'm still torn between outdoor location and passive vent like a 4" dryer vent from
a mostly sealed battery box to the outside.

A hydrogen ignition inside the battery box wouldn't be great, but not nearly as bad as a room sized ignition.

Vent takes care of gasses, but not a fire. Unless it in a metal box with vent.
Many of us have intentional fires indoors, and that is usually fine.

Vent up top and inlets on bottom would avoid building up H2 or CH4, unlike ceiling area of a room.
I've observed the vent connection on my water heater has a Venturi which would help draw out air, although there is volume above it. Plus of course combustion air taken from room at bottom.

Unlike inverter or even lead-acid batteries, your lithium won't normally produce enough heat to generate a draft.
Some of the gasses of concern rise, but wind could reverse flow through vent. Forced air and flap could be best for positive flow, one direction only.

It appears non-isolated MPPT can be single-point failure, and that may be inside some AIO.
Possibly less of a problem for AIO that have bidirectional DC/DC between battery and HV DC rail (SolArk and others), but those which charge battery directly from PV and the boost back up for AC more likely to have a failure.

Well, it makes good sense then for batteries to go outside...like the EG4 PowerPro or the outdoor SOK rack enclosures. Then if gas is produced it's blown away and never can build up an explosive mixture.

Well, it makes good sense then for batteries to go outside...like the EG4 PowerPro or the outdoor SOK rack enclosures. Then if gas is produced it's blown away and never can build up an explosive mixture.
I’m not familiar with the outdoor SOK rack enclosure. Google didn’t help. Would you mind sharing a link and price? Thanks

We will need some common parlance for those of us that add precautionary vent systems.

Brainstorming here:

Basen vent
Vent vent
Venting event vent
Oops vent
Uh oh hole
Magic smoke port

I google translated an update article from german. It said the house blew up for “technical reasons.”

That clears things up.

Anyway, it doesn’t matter to me why this one blew up. natural gas or hydrogen gas. It’s all the same at the end of the day.

sorry, it does not exist. unless there is a full blown cell venting and that would include heat. which there are no I repeat no evidence as provided by the photo... the one signal photo that shows the cells. Please get off of the panic bandwagon as it is 90 % bullshirt and (disclosure) i do not even like "recyclables" as that are not even remotely cleanly recyclable, though I use them. You are in full panic mode after one news report one that is distorted. sorry you need to calm your ta ta's

diy solar

diy solar
Back