diy solar

diy solar

Xuba Electronics: DEAL - 280AH LiFePo4 cells. Purchase & Review

I would worry about there being enough threads in those joining nuts. There are specific nuts used in Unistrut for joining threaded rod that provide much more threads to be used.

Otherwise, that's pretty cool!

It is not visible on the picture, but the stud has a little weld to the bolt. They won't come off.
This is a stationary battery, and the studs are 10 mm away from the cells, so i have no fear for damage to the cells

It is not visible on the picture, but the stud has a little weld to the bolt. They won't come off.
This is a stationary battery, and the studs are 10 mm away from the cells, so i have no fear for damage to the cells
Stud to nut that is

Working in metric units.
Building a compression frame with 2 end plates and 4 threaded rods with nuts, one in each corner.
It would be handy if someone could calculate the torque in newton/meters that would have to be applied on each nut to create a force of 2942 newtons on the cells.
The newton/meter torque on the nuts would have to be converted to tensile force applied to the rod and therefore compression force on the cells.
Other than doing this one wouldn't know what compression weight/force the frame was applying to the cells without using some sort of force gauge.
Any statics engineers here that could help

No worries, let's do it.

Let's assume you're using M6 threaded rod, typical low carbon steel and zinc coated stuff you'd get at the DIY center.
M6x1.00 is the normal coarse thread form, you will use 4 rods of this with matching nuts.
We will assume lubricated threads because even normal handling transfers moisture and oils to the threads.

The good enough ciphering to be used here is T = KDP

Torque (N-mm)
K is the friction constant, in this case 0.15 for lubricated threads (0.2 for dry and clean threads)
D is the bolt diameter in mm
P is the clamp force in N

T = (0.15) * (6 mm) * (2942 N)
T = 2647.8 N-mm or 2.647 N-m

Not much! Basically get 'em all finger tight, another scootch and you're done.

HEADS UP!
2 sellers, wich one of them is xuba, notitied me today EVE will stop selling these cells to agents. So it means when the stock is empty, it is done with buying eve cells at this price. That being said, they are looking for alternatives.

HEADS UP!
2 sellers, wich one of them is xuba, notitied me today EVE will stop selling these cells to agents. So it means when the stock is empty, it is done with buying eve cells at this price. That being said, they are looking for alternatives.

Very interesting news. I wonder what the reason is.

They will propably sell themselves and raise the price

They already do, and their prices are roughly 2-4x the price of the grey market sellers (at least list price is), but cells sold through official channels have some substantial benefits for the increased price (trusted seller, matched cells, support, verified condition/grade, possibly warrantied (true of some manufacturers not sure about EVE).

HEADS UP!

See Steve's post

There are alternatives, but if you want a spare EVE 280Ah cell in case of bloating/damage later, you might not be able to get an EVE 280Ah replacement cell. I'm going to order some spares just in case.

*Just* placed an order on these (4x280Ah) after some discussion with Amy. She was awesome to work with. $330.68 + $118.75 shipping to Minnesota, USA. :p. Great info in this thread.

Looks great. Highly recommend that you cover the threaded rods, the threads cut through the aluminum cases like a hot knife through butter. Pex pipe does a good job.
That is very important. The aluminum case under that thin shrink wrap film is connected to the positive pole. Not a problem if all your cells are in parallel.

Glad I just ordered 16 then. Not being able to get more in the future is disturbing tho. Maybe I'll run a 2p8s 24v instead of a 18s 48 volt. At least if i drop a cell in the future I'll still be able to run.

Glad I just ordered 16 then. Not being able to get more in the future is disturbing tho. Maybe I'll run a 2p8s 24v instead of a 18s 48 volt. At least if i drop a cell in the future I'll still be able to run.
Depending on your inverter and controllers, you may be able to change all of the charge/discharge parameters to allow for the loss of 1 cell at 48 volts thereby loosing only 1/16 capacity. If you loose a cell at 8S2P you loose 50% capacity, but you have plenty of backup cells.

I'm betting that grey market cells eventually show up as black market cells.

I don't have an invertor yet but I figured I could always reconfigure a 2p2s to a straight 8s . I never thought about the possibility of running a 15s.

I don't have an invertor yet but I figured I could always reconfigure a 2p2s to a straight 8s . I never thought about the possibility of running a 15s.
In this scenario, I would consider 15s it a "quick fix" giving you ample time to find a black market cell. If you cant find a cell it will operate at reduced capacity until (if) another cell gives up the ghost.

You are right. I misread your post. My bad. 2P8S 24v works similar to 15S 48v in the case of a failed cell. From my lead acid days, with older batteries loosing a cell meant that others weren't far behind. But that may be different with LFP.

I'm building a system to power my home in the Philippines where parts are hard to get and slow to arrive so everything needs backups. I can parallel 2 24v mpp units so if one fails I can always quickly reconfigure to run on just one. I'll have back bms and connectors all on hand too. I keep looking to 48v because one 48v invertor is cheaper then 2 24s but Im thinking the 24s is the way to go

Maybe I'll get ahold of any to get 8 more maybe. I felt bad not buying my 16 from her, she just couldn't match the price. But for 8 the difference is mess of an impact. She really is a greater help then any of the other sellers I've spoken to

Go with what is best for you. There is no wrong answer as it pertains to redundancy, just options. Sometimes too may options.

Well I finally placed an order for 16 cells, total price including shipping by sea to Mesa, AZ:
Product price + freight = $330.68*4+$348=$1670.72 DDP
I was surprised my credit card went through with no hassle, just entered the information and it was done.
Previously they (my credit union) had blocked an $8k charge to Allied Van Lines about 3 years ago, I guess the call asking what use is a card you can't use was effective!

Back