diy solar

diy solar

You won't believe how much power it takes to do laundry

efficientPV

Solar Addict
I didn't believe it either. I have a large capacity LG front loader. It operates off four grid tie panels with the HV DC just going into a MSW inverter, no battery. Settings are COLD TAP so no added heating. I feed hot water into the cold inlet, PV heated, and all cycles are done with hot water. Clothes come out of spin steaming. This machine doesn't get mold like the one at home because the dispenser tray is spotless. Cold water always leaves a soap film for mold to grow on. No one has ever accused my wife if going light, her loads have busted two tub bearings over the years.

So, all the machine does is tumble clothes. I was cleaning the garage yesterday and found a couple power meters I didn't know I had. Put one on the array PV array of about 125V. Power can jump up to 550W. Just did two loads and the total power for both was 0.19KWH. Less than 100WH a load. Now it is not so impressive telling I do laundry with solar. The hot water took more power.

Pretty cool how solar energy changes our habits! I built a clothes line - wife used it religiously for a week or so but infrequent now. I use it, she prefers the electric drier. Summer brings excess generation, so I installed an electric water heater only for use from February through November. Back to propane for the winter.

The washer and drier and water heater exhibit a manly 11kW demand!

I've justified the two water heaters by explaining that now I HAVE to drain each on a yearly basis, just like the manual says!!

I'm in a high lime area. Got the 40 gallon water heater for the laundry from a neighbor. The cold fill plastic down tube had broken off and cold water just mixed with the hot at the top. I just feed from the bottom drain port. Nothing free is easy. I filled an entire 5 gallon bucket with lime deposits. Put it in the garden the plants like that magnesium too. High density heat elements causes that lime buildup. The scale flakes off the elements when you hear that popping noise. I operate at much lower wattage and I haven't seen any scale. Elements clean up nice with vinegar. I have a couple point of use tanks connected with washer hoses. I have to pick them upside down to drain. Why make them permanent.

I got my two year old washer for $150 delivered. Guy said he wished he had bought the extended warrantee. It still Lowes delivery sticker and he said it was stored for two months and then didn't work. Must have set something heavy on it because it was just a button stuck in. I love technology, when something stops working it is just thrown away. I want one of those condensing dryers. Broken ones will be all over craigs list soon.

I didn't believe it either. I have a large capacity LG front loader. It operates off four grid tie panels with the HV DC just going into a MSW inverter, no battery. Settings are COLD TAP so no added heating. I feed hot water into the cold inlet, PV heated, and all cycles are done with hot water. Clothes come out of spin steaming. This machine doesn't get mold like the one at home because the dispenser tray is spotless. Cold water always leaves a soap film for mold to grow on. No one has ever accused my wife if going light, her loads have busted two tub bearings over the years.

So, all the machine does is tumble clothes. I was cleaning the garage yesterday and found a couple power meters I didn't know I had. Put one on the array PV array of about 125V. Power can jump up to 550W. Just did two loads and the total power for both was 0.19KWH. Less than 100WH a load. Now it is not so impressive telling I do laundry with solar. The hot water took more power.

Cool! I'm going to check my old top loader on cold. Kirkland Signature by Whirlpool... at least 15 years old.

Cool! I'm going to check my old top loader on cold. Kirkland Signature by Whirlpool... at least 15 years old.

Total 0.29kWh

Some noted powers:

Open water valve: 4-6W
Agitator: 550-600W
Slow agitator: 380-400W
Discharge pump: 685W
Spin: 500W with 1400W peak observed

Edit... not going to bother with dryer. I don't want to know, and I don't have a means of measuring energy usage on 240VAC.

Last edited:
Here in Alaska,
Gas used over electric for drying clothes. Cheaper so I am told. That being said, drying racks work the best. Bonus you get to add humidity to a dry house for free. Drying racks are pretty cheap as well. Last I heard about 6% of all electrical consumption in the US is used for drying clothing. Most homes in Europe don't have dryers. Drying racks work. May want to soften the towels a bit before using them off the rack.
Sam

Here in Alaska,
Gas used over electric for drying clothes. Cheaper so I am told. That being said, drying racks work the best. Bonus you get to add humidity to a dry house for free. Drying racks are pretty cheap as well. Last I heard about 6% of all electrical consumption in the US is used for drying clothing. Most homes in Europe don't have dryers. Drying racks work. May want to soften the towels a bit before using them off the rack.

Truth. No one wants to chip a nipple.

The Staber washer is a vertical axis machine (like a front loader) that loads through the top (open a hatch into the stainless steel drum). Variable-speed brushless motor. They've been a favorite of the off-grid crowd for a LONG time.

From the SolarHome.Org site:
Inverter size suggested: 1500w minimum (120VAC)
Typical amperage over the cycle (intermittent): 5-6A
Max current at motor start: 11A
Energy use per cycle (cold water): 110-150wh
Water use: 15 gallons

They don't seem to have any in stock, but they are available direct from the manufacturer. We have one and I like it a lot--built like a tank, everything is designed to be user serviceable. It's not the biggest drum size in the world, but our bed linen, etc seems to fit fine.

Last edited:
Here's a typical power consumption for a machine clothes wash and dry for us:

Screen Shot 2023-07-18 at 7.11.50 am.png

Both Bosch front loading machines, the dryer is a heat pump unit. We use the outside clothes line and hanging racks as well but it depends on the weather and what is being dried. Winter here at present.

Washing machine heats its own water. That load used 0.60 kWh, the dryer 1.19 kWh.

Where possible appliances are run during the solar PV window.

By the way, some newer top loaders do not have an agitate mechanism in the transmission. Instead, they just ramp up an induction motor back and forth. Talk about inefficient and constant surging.

Here's a typical power consumption for a machine clothes wash and dry for us:

View attachment 157990

Both Bosch front loading machines, the dryer is a heat pump unit. We use the outside clothes line and hanging racks as well but it depends on the weather and what is being dried. Winter here at present.

Washing machine heats its own water. That load used 0.60 kWh, the dryer 1.19 kWh.

Where possible appliances are run during the solar PV window.
Wow,
I am shocked a heat pump gets warm enough to dry clothes. My friends Tesla has trouble heating the cabin in cold weather.
Amazed how efficient it is as well.
Wow!

Back