diy solar

diy solar

Possible laundry solution

Roddzilla

I wanted to share some data on a pretty new complete laundry solution. I know there are similar units, and lots of stuff from Europe, but GE is now making an all-in-one laundry center. The difference is that this one is full sized.

So, we picked one up.

I have no affiliation with GE or any reseller. I'm just a dude that loves alternative energy and is slow building an off grid home/shop -- Thus looking for comfortable solutions that can run on solar/batteries and make the place function and feel like a normal on-grid house so my wife (and guests) don't have to make major life adjustments. I also can't understand how I've reached a point in my life where I'm geeking out over a washer/dryer. I have no dog in the hunt as far as band names go, I just wanted to share my experience with this unit.

The new GE "one and done" is about the size of a standard front load washer, possibly a little taller. it has 4.8 cubic feet of capacity. It looks cool and has smart features and an app. It's also a little different in that it is a ventless and sealed heat pump model that expels the moist hot air out the water drain line, so no exhaust duct. it does not make our small laundry room hot, cold, or moist -- so it has not added to our HVAC load in any way. It also plugs into a standard 120V AC 60Hz outlet -- no need for 240V. The manual says that this outlet needs to be isolated so I guess the load can possibly peak up to near 80% an entire 15a circuit.

The unit works great and doesn't take any longer to wash and dry a load that a normal washer and dryer combo (but you don't have to remember to go move clothes to the dryer!). Clothes come out feeling a little damp but once they're in the air for a few seconds, that feeling vanishes. It's weird to describe, but it dries the clothes perfectly with very little lint.

Heres what I thought you off-gridders might be interested in:

using a kill-a-watt meter on the plug of the unit:

power "off" mode draws a standby 3 to 4 watts. I guess mostly the wifi. If you don't need to monitor/control the unit, turn this off or unplug the unit between uses as it boots fairly fast.

Load A - women's delicates. about 15 small items. used "quick cycle" setting. Cold water. This took 58 mins to wash and dry. starting kWh 0.06 cycle complete kWh 0.74. Total use 0.68 kWh

Load B - Mens clothes. 1 pair jeans, 2 khaki shorts, 4 heavy weight t-shirts, 2 pair socks, and 3 boxers. used "normal" setting w/ warm water. 1 hour 49 mins to wash and dry. Total electrical usage 0.93 kWh

Load C - 5 bath towels. 6 wash cloths, 1 hand towel. We buy the thick pure cotton stuff. When soaking wet, these towels weigh a LOT. used the "towels" setting and hot water and extra high longer duration spin. took 2 hours 26 minutes to complete the load. Total electrical usage for this load was 1.14 kWh

I would have no problem washing everything in cold water, negating any water heater load. The unit also automatically dispenses soap AND fabric softener from internal "tanks" and it tells you when you need to refill them.

I didn't pull peak watts per load or plot power curves or anything, but it is on a single 120V 15a circuit shared with a dyson vac (that was also charging during a 20 min portion of cycle B). Wash time and dry time are split almost evenly with the towel loads being maybe 60/40 with more dry time.

Maybe this data helps someone looking for a fairly efficient laundry solution that doesn't involve a creek, box of borax, a big rock, and clothes pins.

I'm not pushing any brand with this post. I'm just sharing my data on this new unit. If it violates any terms, I apologize in advance and please delete it.

Take care.

What is the ramp up watts?

I use a small apartment size washer but I would like something bigger if the price and power usage is reasonable.

expels the moist hot air out the water drain line, so no exhaust duct. it does not make our small laundry room hot, cold, or moist
Normally a washer attaches to a drain line via a pipe that is sorta U-shaped, and held by gravity. There is no real seal there. Surely this one has a seal there to hold in all the warm, moist air/vapor? If not, I would assume it escapes into the room a bit?

What is the ramp up watts?

I use a small apartment size washer but I would like something bigger if the price and power usage is reasonable.

We tried this goofy ass thing:

It used very little power, but it was also pretty tedious.

@Roddzilla

Can we get a specific model number?

I'm on a second hand ~45 year old dryer that's been repaired and repainted. Top load Whirlpool washer is second hand and ~20 years old replaced when the mate to the ~45 year dryer crapped out. I have maybe $400 invested in acquisition and repair costs. Washer only uses about 0.2-0.3kWh/load, but the dryer is probably at least 1.5-2.0.

When either of these craps out, I'll be ready to commit to something modern, and I'm hearing nothing but good about the GE combo. I'm also looking to cut my work load... I load, move, unload. Wife folds. I'm lookin' to cut out the "move" step... :).

Which model is this? I’ve been keeping an eye on this and saw a $2200 chonky GE all in one at Home Depot last night. Felt like it was probably the one a bunch of folks have been digging

How does it compare with say a $1500 miele HP dryer and regular tier washing machine?

Some of the newer washers use inverted DC motors which is a nice boost in efficiency and with high RPM spin (1200RPM 52% moisture 1400RPM 50% 1600RPM 44%) it saves huge amount of power from the dryer. The clothes come out of the washer feeling only slightly damp, especially polyester.

You can run the dryer on 120V (just move 1 leg onto the neutral bar) and it will just take a little longer to dry but still gets decently hot at the end of the cycle. Mine draws about 1400W on 120V vs of 5500W on 240V.

Even better if you can sun/air dry the larger items like blankets and towels and then use the dryer to finish them off and the tumbling softens them.

Which model is this? I’ve been keeping an eye on this and saw a $2200 chonky GE all in one at Home Depot last night. Felt like it was probably the one a bunch of folks have been digging

How does it compare with say a $1500 miele HP dryer and regular tier washing machine?

GE Profile™ 4.8 cu. ft. Capacity UltraFast Combo with Ventless Heat Pump Technology Washer/Dryer​

GE Profile PFQ97HSPVDS
IMG_6427.jpeg

Thanks, greatly appreciate the link. Kind of surprised that this needs less cleaning than the state of the art 230V HP only models that are also marketed here in the US. An engineering oriented breakdown would shed some light on whether / what smart thing was done to achieve this

A little disappointed that this article did not do a head to head comparison, it seemed more focused on the most common domestic competitors rather than those niche dryers.

You can run the dryer on 120V (just move 1 leg onto the neutral bar) and it will just take a little longer to dry but still gets decently hot at the end of the cycle. Mine draws about 1400W on 120V vs of 5500W on 240V.
This works with any standard 240v dryer? Awesome info if so.
Even better if you can sun/air dry the larger items like blankets and towels and then use the dryer to finish them off and the tumbling softens them.
Agreed, nothing like the fresh smell of sun dried bedding.

The aio option is very interesting and tempting, thanks for the info @Roddzilla.

This works with any standard 240v dryer? Awesome info if so.
I think it works with most of them. The motor is 120v and the heater are 240v

It won’t work great with dryers that are 240v only. Not sure if those exist for laundry appliances (this is a thing in kitchen appliances)

I think it works with most of them. The motor is 120v and the heater are 240v

It won’t work great with dryers that are 240v only. Not sure if those exist for laundry appliances (this is a thing in kitchen appliances)
Thank you. I'll have to run some tests, it could be very useful to those that have an inverter with low AC output power.

Do you think it would cause any damage to heating element running on 120V? Apologies if that's a dumb?... The resistance would change so that's why I asked.
Bunch of info here on the subject https://diy.stackexchange.com/quest...g-a-dryer-on-120-v-drive-up-electricity-costs

Thank you. I'll have to run some tests, it could be very useful to those that have an inverter with low AC output power.

Do you think it would cause any damage to heating element running on 120V? Apologies if that's a dumb?... The resistance would change so that's why I asked.
Bunch of info here on the subject https://diy.stackexchange.com/quest...g-a-dryer-on-120-v-drive-up-electricity-costs

I don't think the resistance would change. It's a resistive element with the resistance picked to achieve a given output power for operating voltage. If you drop the operating voltage then the output power will change according to ohms law. And it will be a lower output power so easier on the element

I think putting higher voltage across a heating element may lead to problems though because it is more heat than expected in that case.

I saw this model when I went to HD the other day, but I didn't even "kick the tires"

For you looking for energy efficient electric dryer (aren't we all), look into Heat Pump Dryer. It's the same concept as the one listed above. There are more reviews and opinions about them since they have been on the market longer than this model. Maybe if my dryer died and I had extra money to spend to spend on a Heat Pump dryer I would look into it, but the cost just isn't worth it yet.

We are a family of 6 and I have spent this year so far $115 drying our clothes. My dryer uses about 2.25kw per load and around an hour to dry. I do hang the clothes on the line a lot in the warmer month. Our washer uses about 170w to do a load (tap cold).

For the energy savings vs price, I can't justify a $1500 dryer

Hang drying clothes in the winter here is a major pain and they will freeze solid.

I hang them on the line in my solarium porch.

I have a small apartment washer with an extractor spin dryer for small loads but I am lazy and take a big batch of laundry to the laundromat in town and for $5 I get a big load washed and dried once a month.

While the clothes are getting done I do my shopping and take the dogs to the park to smell some trees and have lunch and that is just part of my socializing routine.

Dogs on tree.jpg

I guess another question is why one would pick a $2500 combo vs a $1500 Miele and a $1000 regular dryer. For the situation of an existing laundry room with two side by side bags.

Obviously with a laundry that only supports stacked units the calculus is different.

I think the point of heat pump dryer has to be energy efficiency (without switching to conserving energy with hanging clothes), not saving money…

Back