diy solar

diy solar

You won't believe how much power it takes to do laundry

I'm using a heat pump water heater and it's super efficient. When the clothes dryer goes belly up, I'll be switching to a heat pump there too.

I saw a review of this, it's an amazing machine for sure - how many loads have you run through it?

We have a lot of laundry In our family and would probably do 4 loads a day easy
We probably only ran about 6 loads in it so far. It does take longer for it to dry but a lot less energy. Great thing for us is you can put in a load, have it start when the sun is out, and it is completed when you get home from work. If you have a huge laundry use in your house you either still need two machines, or just change how you do the job, to spread out the usage.

We probably only ran about 6 loads in it so far. It does take longer for it to dry but a lot less energy. Great thing for us is you can put in a load, have it start when the sun is out, and it is completed when you get home from work. If you have a huge laundry use in your house you either still need two machines, or just change how you do the job, to spread out the usage.
I actually bought 2 of these units. I gave one to my daughter who along with her husband live in an apartment. She earned her's helping dad install his solar array, lol. She loves her's and it was great for an apartment as you no longer have to mess with hooking up the the apartment buildings dryer vent as there is none.

Over the weekend we just got a new GE Profile all in one. Washer and dryer in the same machine, heat pump, 4,8 Cu ft. Suppose to use 1/2 the power if a electric washer and dryer. Runs on only 120v power, no 220v power needed.
Yeah there is a flood of these turning up on YouTube with good looking housewives proclaiming how wonderful they are and have changed their lives forever. I want to give it a year or two to see how many of them start blowing up..... The machines not the housewives LOL

Yeah there is a flood of these turning up on YouTube with good looking housewives proclaiming how wonderful they are and have changed their lives forever. I want to give it a year or two to see how many of them start blowing up..... The machines not the housewives LOL
Yup, we shall see. Someone has to be the first to try them out. They have a good warranty and I may purchase a extended plan as it is newish tech. The GE is the first out with one the dryer part actually works good on it. It is a taller machine to add area for air flow with the heat pump, and a better filter implementation to catch lint and keep it out of the condenser.

Hey,
At our place in Mexico we installed an indoor drying line. looks nice to me. Placed by a windows it works well for towels. Electricity in Mexico is expensive. Here is a picture of it. Bought it on Amazon. Green and saves money. Super low costs and not bad looking. For an off grid solar system in a warm climate this would save space and energy.

Attachments

• PXL_20230820_171513975.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230820_171513975.MP.jpg
    719.9 KB · Views: 9
  • PXL_20230820_170856288.jpg
    PXL_20230820_170856288.jpg
    645.1 KB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20230820_170858100.jpg
    PXL_20230820_170858100.jpg
    650.4 KB · Views: 9
At our place in Mexico we installed an indoor drying line. looks nice to me. Placed by a windows it works well for towels.
The only issue with hanging washing to dry inside is it increases the humidity indoors and that can cause other issues, either encourages mould if venting is inadequate or it adds to the energy demand required to run a dehumidifier or aircon.

But outdoor washing lines and using clothes drying racks outside are a very good low energy choice in the right climate. We use our a lot with exceptions being on the rainy/humid days.

Have the GE Profile Combination like @Quattrohead, and love it!
Most importantly, the dryer function is now on a 120V circuit (using the heat pump).
Power consumption is way way down.

The old 6 kW heating element dryer was not on my critical loads panel,
but since this GE is on the washer outlet, I can now do full laundry running on my Dual Quattro 5ks.

Waiting to see what the first malfunction will be, I never buy new tech like this as a rule.
But so far so good.

Have the GE Profile Combination like @Quattrohead, and love it!
Most importantly, the dryer function is now on a 120V circuit (using the heat pump).
Power consumption is way way down.

The old 6 kW heating element dryer was not on my critical loads panel,
but since this GE is on the washer outlet, I can now do full laundry running on my Dual Quattro 5ks.

Waiting to see what the first malfunction will be, I never buy new tech like this as a rule.
But so far so good.
Hey bud - have you run any comforters in it? How long did it take?

Hey bud - have you run any comforters in it? How long did it take?
We’ve only got thin comforters in the summer, i’ll let you know when winter comes on the big bulky ones.

My wife did intentionally try to overload it with lots of jeans and heavier stuff and it took like 3.5 hours total (wash and dry).

There are two options that we always use: add more water, extra drying
Because i suspect they try to conserve energy at the expense of cleanliness and drynesss.
But that may just be my paranoia.

I will say that the time estimates for drying are generally wrong.
It will sometimes say 2 minutes left for over 15 minutes, there is a moisture sensor.

We’ve only got thin comforters in the summer, i’ll let you know when winter comes on the big bulky ones.

My wife did intentionally try to overload it with lots of jeans and heavier stuff and it took like 3.5 hours total (wash and dry).

There are two options that we always use: add more water, extra drying
Because i suspect they try to conserve energy at the expense of cleanliness and drynesss.
But that may just be my paranoia.

I will say that the time estimates for drying are generally wrong.
It will sometimes say 2 minutes left for over 15 minutes, there is a moisture sensor.
Good to know!

Back