diy solar

diy solar

5 MWh SRNE ASF48100U200-H 10kw.

Yes, 5Kw per leg, 10Kw combined. It's essentially 2 of their 5kw units stuffed in one box.
I was tempted to order 2 of the single units and run them in parallel since you can stack them, like the LV6548s.

@Mattb4 has had a great experience with their 24V versions, that gave me lots of reassurance in ordering the 48V.
If I could get 10Kw per leg with 2 in parallel, I'd be all over these units. The problem with multiple 5Kw units (4 needed) would be the consumption of the inverters.

If I could get 10Kw per leg with 2 in parallel, I'd be all over these units. The problem with multiple 5Kw units (4 needed) would be the consumption of the inverters.
I'll bug them again and see if they have any updates on when the parallel version will be released in split phase configuration.
I don't know the idle consumption of the 5kw units, if it's 50w (half the ASF 10kw) then it would be a wash.

Ya, I know - gotta be patient, - not by strongest trait !
I was looking at a Amensolar 10kW unit that is reportedly low idle (50W) and parallelable, not a bad price (just under $2k each) but it seems these units share some bits with MUST inverters (I am told) and that worries me given the software problems people have reported on the MUST inverter series. Patience Patience Patience - But it's November and idle currents are eating up too many kW's each cloudy day...Patience...

Now I have to wait for that new 12k to come out, then wait for people to get them and try them out, see if any issues show up...ok everything is working - just let the MPP's run, and do their job...see what RedNeckTech is up to...

Ya, I know - gotta be patient, - not by strongest trait !
I was looking at a Amensolar 10kW unit that is reportedly low idle (50W) and parallelable, not a bad price (just under $2k each) but it seems these units share some bits with MUST inverters (I am told) and that worries me given the software problems people have reported on the MUST inverter series. Patience Patience Patience - But it's November and idle currents are eating up too many kW's each cloudy day...Patience...

Now I have to wait for that new 12k to come out, then wait for people to get them and try them out, see if any issues show up...ok everything is working - just let the MPP's run, and do their job...see what RedNeckTech is up to...
Yes, patience is a virtue.....so they say....

I've been thinking what I should use for powering the shop. this just might be what I will install. I'm not in a hurry, it probably would not be until late next year before I start.
excellent! - we can all watch for your install, and what you find running that new model...beta testing for us! ;)

I can totally relate - same here,
I am committed to up-grade my MPP's some time over the next couple years, (I would like 20-24kW output and lower idle) but when?
(I will need to figure out "how" to do it, since the entire shop is running on the MPP's -plus most of the house next door- and to upgrade I will need to pull all the existing gear out, to put the new in...so what runs the shop during that switch-over process? the back up generator$?
Building a new electrical area beside the existing one would work better for set up and then one day a shut-down and switch over from existing to new, but that would mean major changes to other things in the shop, not very convenient. Yeah, have to think about this...

I have connected the Battey BMS with RS 485 and when the battery is fully charged Error 64 BMSovervolt is appeared. Do you have any idea why it happens? My battery is 51.2 200AH Lifepo4 and I have set the LFP 16 battery type.

Last edited:
I have connected the Battey BMS with RS 485 and when the battery is fully charged Error 64 BMSovervolt is appeared. Do you have any idea why it happens? My battery is 51.2 200AH Lifepo4 and I have set the LFP 16 battery type.
Not really, just ideas...
What battery / BMS? What is your bulk charge voltage?
I suspect the BMS is programmed to charge to aggressively trying the take the cells to 3.6V or higher, I also suspect the cells are out of balance; which is causing a cell to 'run' and throw the BMS error.
I'd suggest forgetting about BMS communications, set battery type to user, bulk charge to 55.2V or 55.6V and float at 54.8V.
I'd also suggest establishing BMS communications with a PC so you are able to see individual cell data.
If you disconnect the BMS from the inverter without setting battery type to user the inverter will throw an error but it will still function.

Oh an welcome to the forum.

excellent! - we can all watch for your install, and what you find running that new model...beta testing for us! ;)
Not if I order one first ?.
If I do decide to order one I'll be sure to fully abuse this one seeing what it is capable of. I'm curious how it would handle the electric dryer and the well pump running while the air compressor kicks on. It handles the dryer and well pump just fine (along with the rest of the house) , unfortunately SA doesn't catch the peak, I've seen just north of 190a on the shunt.
... It's a good thing I didn't know how addicting this renewable energy stuff would be before I started.

Not really, just ideas...
What battery / BMS? What is your bulk charge voltage?
I suspect the BMS is programmed to charge to aggressively trying the take the cells to 3.6V or higher, I also suspect the cells are out of balance; which is causing a cell to 'run' and throw the BMS error.
I'd suggest forgetting about BMS communications, set battery type to user, bulk charge to 55.2V or 55.6V and float at 54.8V.
I'd also suggest establishing BMS communications with a PC so you are able to see individual cell data.
If you disconnect the BMS from the inverter without setting battery type to user the inverter will throw an error but it will still function.

Oh an welcome to the forum.
Thanks. My battery is SRNE Lifepo4 battery. Also, you can run 1hp well pump without problem and it has 40A(8000W?) inrush.So, is that one 220V pump? I have a 1.5hp surface jet pump for deep well. Could the 10KW Inverter handle the surge load when other loads are not running?

Thanks. My battery is SRNE Lifepo4 battery.
I've looked at them but I can't bring myself to purchase a pre-built due to the cost savings of building my own. Someday, maybe.
Also, you can run 1hp well pump without problem and it has 40A(8000W?) inrush.So, is that one 220V pump? I have a 1.5hp surface jet pump for deep well. Could the 10KW Inverter handle the surge load when other loads are not running?
Yes, 0 issues running it along with the rest of my house. I see no reason the inverter couldn't handle it, however your limiting factor may be the BMS in your battery. I have 3 batteries in parallel, I did test running my pump with 1 battery using 305ah cells and a 300a BMS, there were no issues.

I didn't implement the "simple display" part - at least not yet!
I have to figure, will I put up a small monitor showing the Solar Assistant main display - shows the battery level loads and how much incoming solar all on one easy view,
Or set up a Red Light - Green Light above the dryer - above 52 volts = green otherwise Red?
What do you guys think?
Give her / drier their own inverter and battery. Have it set to only power up the drier when there is enough electricity in it for a load. Charge it's batteries however you want. Expensive, yes, hilarious, yes.

is the over-voltage error for the whole battery voltage? - then check that the inverter charging parameter isn't set higher than the BMS max voltage setting.
is the over-voltage error for a single cell voltage? - then this may be a single cell "runner" that reaches high voltage while all the other cells are at a lower voltage. ie a balance issue.
LFP 16 type - there are a few batteries on the market using 15-cells rather than 16. I am not sure if your battery could be this type, best to check and be sure. A 15-cell battery being charged with a 16-cell settings will reach over-voltage level.

Back