diy solar

diy solar

2000watt inverter cuts out intermittently

Pinzmann

First time DIY build in garage running fridge, lights, miscellaneous. Has worked for a few weeks with loads up to 500 watts or so. The inverter is a Jiguun 2000w pure sine powered by a 200a LifeP04. Solar charged. The other morning I decided to run a space heater. At med setting (950w) it ran for 10 min then powered down for a few seconds then started up again. I left it on and it repeated the cycle. Still left it on, then it shut down even sooner like 5 min. It would always restart. Voltage was always 12+. I have run higher wattage (1500) but only for a minute or so. I tried a constant 650w load which ran without a problem.
So is this a defective unit or actually just over rated? It might not bother me much except my lights are on a remote rf switch and my router is also plugged into this which have to be reset.

Voltage was always 12+
Are you sure it was always above 12 at the time of the shutdown? Was it measured at the inverter or at the battery?
One possible scenario is that there are some resistive connections that are causing voltage drops that the inverter sees as low voltage and shuts down. Once the current stops, the voltage drop goes away and the inverter starts again.

So is this a defective unit or actually just over rated?
It is hard to say without a lot more information. As pointed out above, it may not even be the inverter.

Did some double checking. Volt meter at input reads 12.8, controller reads 13.0 and voltage display in inverter reads 12.3. Running a heater at 800w, runs fine for 15 min. Voltage at input drops to 12.2 and inverter display is 12.0/11.9.
Crank up heater to 1200w: voltage input stays 12.1/2, inverter display drops to 11.5, then shuts down. Controller voltage display stays at 12.7
If I leave it be, the inverter restarts, then shut down within seconds, repeats, then trips the 100a breaker at battery.

Just thought of something. Are the individual outlets limited in wattage output? Like 800w for each?

then trips the 100a breaker at battery.
Huh?? 12V x 100A = 1200W. That breaker is way too small.

A 2000W inverter is probably running at 85 - 90% efficiency. At 90% and max output, it will draw 2000W/.9=2222W.
When the battery is low, the voltage will be around 12V so the current would be 2222W/12V = 185A.
A breaker or fuse should be 25% greater than the expected current so the trip point should be 185A x 1.25 = 231A. Round that up to 250A.

Crank up heater to 1200w: voltage input stays 12.1/2, inverter display drops to 11.5, then shuts down.
That sounds like the connections at the inverter are resistive and need to be improved.

I used the cable that came with it. Not marked, maybe 4awg? Will upgrade the breaker. I have some heavier cables, will also upgrade those.

Back