diy solar

diy solar

207kWh System... In 12V??? 😬

Think of the time required to pull batteries once or twice a year and charge them up individually as BB recommends to prevent the runaway battery problem and keeping the batteries in balance.
Do you have to pull the batteries apart? Can't you just charge them all to 100%, wait for HVD, then charge up the low ones individually to match? Shouldnt have to disassemble.

Do you have to pull the batteries apart? Can't you just charge them all to 100%, wait for HVD, then charge up the low ones individually to match? Shouldnt have to disassemble.
What do you think? Start right here.

What do you think? Start right here.

Yeah all the terminals are all front and center there. It looks pretty simple.

Don't get me wrong, 4s x 12v batteries is a stupid idea, no matter how you twist it.

Yeah, I believe this is just a purely marketing video. I cannot see how anyone would ever choose this configuration for a large scale system at this voltage. So many better options available today. I wonder how many "game changers" have been sold this month. I just cannot see them selling many units with the roypow models being available, and better in quite literally every possible way.

You still have to break it down, charge each battery and put it back together.

Not my thing........

This is nothing more than marketing.
I don't understand why you would have to break them apart? It's just like charging individual cells in a 16s battery to quickly balance. You connect a bench power supply to the + and - of each individual battery and top up whatever one is low.

I don't understand why you would have to break them apart? It's just like charging individual cells in a 16s battery to quickly balance. You connect a bench power supply to the + and - of each individual battery and top up whatever one is low.
Exactly.

I don't have to do that with my system.

I must be doing it wrong?

Think of the time required to pull batteries once or twice a year and charge them up individually as BB recommends to prevent the runaway battery problem and keeping the batteries in balance.
Will never happen. There will be an epic eventual failure followed by an epic lawsuit.

Reactions: Zwy
The individual batteries are 12 volt
That doesnt matter much though, it is the series of the system that is important, otherwise you could say that a LiFePO4 128S is just 3.2V instead of the +400V? As soon as you put the batteries in series you increase voltage and reduce the Amp hence need for thick cables. So I would say that this is a 48V system but as soon as you need over 12kW from the storage (no matter if it is 15kwh or 200kWh) you should consider a HV Hybrid or HV off grid inverter instead of 48V and crank it up to atleast 64SxP to not be forced to use Frankenstein cables, fuses and connectors.

That doesnt matter much though, it is the series of the system that is important, otherwise you could say that a LiFePO4 128S is just 3.2V instead of the +400V?
Not quite. It's actually 4 12v BMS controlled batteries in series.
The issues are with multiple BMS's in series, causing imbalance.
The voltage of the battery (and BMS) should be the same as the system.

Not quite. It's actually 4 12v BMS controlled batteries in series.
The issues are with multiple BMS's in series, causing imbalance.
The voltage of the battery (and BMS) should be the same as the system.
Exactly. The BMSs are the issue. IF you could somehow connect all of the BMSs together so they talk to each other and work as one, this wouldn't be an issue.

Lead acid batteries in series (no BMSs) aren't a problem.

Back