diy solar

diy solar

4 MWh SRNE ASF48100U200-H 10kw.

Wellllllllll
Schedules didn't work out again.... Not giving up.
I really think/hope they are legit. From my detective work it's a newer company that is trying to make rechargable standalone appliances using LiFePo4. I'm guessing they ordered a pile of stuff and now want to get rid of it to recoup some of the losses.
Hope he still has both of his kidneys.
Almost spit my coffee out. 😂

Yea, it really makes me want to cut the cord that much more, after my next expansion.
I could run a generator for a whole heck of a lot cheaper than that.
Yea I figure a small generator with a charge-verter run would be less costly. I've got an old 50cc two stroke mitey-mite that's loud as hell but more than enough to cover my loads if run for awhile....has a 24v dc output for my battery pack. Yes currently just 24v stuff. My daily average usage is only 3.5kwh and that's with the occasional 12-15kwh day if we have guests in the all electric (heater) guest room.

Yea, it really makes me want to cut the cord that much more, after my next expansion.
I could run a generator for a whole heck of a lot cheaper than that.
whats your actual $/kw cost. just curious why you seem to be adding so much. decent roi or just pure hatred of the power company?

whats your actual $/kw cost. just curious why you seem to be adding so much. decent roi or just pure hatred of the power company?
His roi plan includes competing with Chinese coal in the crypto market???

Yea I figure a small generator with a charge-verter run would be less costly. I've got an old 50cc two stroke mitey-mite that's loud as hell but more than enough to cover my loads if run for awhile....has a 24v dc output for my battery pack. Yes currently just 24v stuff. My daily average usage is only 3.5kwh and that's with the occasional 12-15kwh day if we have guests in the all electric (heater) guest room.
I use way more electricity now than I did when I had the grid. The base loads would be a chest freezer, refrigerator a few fans; in the winter the coal stove uses ~7KWh/day, 90% of these being a large convection fan I added. I have plans to upgrade it to something more efficient get next season. 12k BTU minisplit would be the next biggest load followed by cooking.
My AIO idles at 100W too..

When I find land to build on and sell this house I will have no grid connection.

whats your actual $/kw cost.
It's somewhere around $0.15 kw/h
just curious why you seem to be adding so much. decent roi
Part of it, I use more now than I did before solar and battery. I also plan to get an EUV in the very near future and add more minsplits. It's also became a bit of an addiction, I already have the panels and mounting and I'm getting a great deal on cells (I hope).
or just pure hatred of the power company?
Not really, know quite a few people that work for them.
It's more that I've lost trust in the reliability. To many times I'd come home from work to a cold house because the stove went out while I was at work, the noise of the generator and getting it hooked up in shitty weather.. The final straw was the time it went out frying some bacon and cooking omelets, luckily my propane grill was on the deck outside the kitchen...

It's mainly piece of mind, one less thing to worry about.
And yea, part of it is giving the finger to the power company.

My great grandfather till the day he died swore eventually electricity would be too cheap to meter. I feel sorta bad. They converted their whole house to electric. Except their forced air furnace from the early 80s which they never used. Fire place and electric radiative wall heaters throughout heated their home. It was pretty cool, but he had the mindset it would all be done with nuclear. Apparently that was the idea back then.

My mindset is an energy efficient small household. Luckily I'm in a mild climate. That being said, the poor guy was right eventually, but it would be solar that makes it too cheap meter.

My next build will extremely efficient. I'm hoping for ~7kwh per day in the winter and ~4 in the summer.
Yea that's downright efficient for the average home. Depending on new regs and codes, Solar may eventually get so cheap that it may be cheaper and easier to just diy solar rather than have costly and labor intensive upgrades to all these old homes. The high labor costs and material cost here (home efficiency upgrades) are making it very expensive, and if one can diy solar than it's pretty much a break even sort of thing, efficient window installs are fairly easy and can be done one at a time. most of the houses our neighborhood will NEVER be put up to code as far as modern insulation R value for this climate and it is not high like in PA.

The high labor costs and material cost here (home efficiency upgrades) are making it very expensive, and if one can diy solar than it's pretty much a break even sort of thing, efficient window installs are fairly easy and can be done one at a time.
Excellent point.
Maybe I'll just keep buying batteries and panels 😂

Excellent point.
Maybe I'll just keep buying batteries and panels 😂
We have a dozen people in the neighborhood with grid tied solar installed on their homes with no sheathing (paper/wire/stucco only) and zero insulation in the walls. Oddly enough the few neighbors that have filled their walls with insulation and added extra in their attics havent seen the need for an expensive grid tied solar install here due to wildly high labor and upcharge costs.

Last edited:
In the winter I was worried about keeping the batteries warm, now I'm worrying about keeping the inverter cool. (battery temp is F, inverter is C).

I've been running an oil filled radiator in the basement the past few days since I unplugged the stoker stove for the season.
No real updates. Everything is performing flawlessly.
Just bored at work wishing I were home to fight the power of the sun...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240425-125009.jpg
    Screenshot_20240425-125009.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20240425-124843.jpg
    Screenshot_20240425-124843.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20240425-124929.jpg
    Screenshot_20240425-124929.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20240425-125347.jpg
    Screenshot_20240425-125347.jpg