diy solar

diy solar

6 MWh SRNE ASF48100U200-H 10kw.

View attachment 178452
Up and running a small load. No issues so far. No noticeable light flickering. Saw around a 2kw difference between legs without an issue during some brief testing. The instant switching from the battery disconnect is what sold me. I'm having trouble with the monitoring software but that seems pretty typical. Now i need to hunt down some inexpensive class t fuses. Thanks to everyone here for all the good information

i have 4 of these. Best price I could find.

View attachment 178452
Up and running a small load. No issues so far. No noticeable light flickering. Saw around a 2kw difference between legs without an issue during some brief testing. The instant switching from the battery disconnect is what sold me. I'm having trouble with the monitoring software but that seems pretty typical. Now i need to hunt down some inexpensive class t fuses. Thanks to everyone here for all the good information
Can't help with the monitoring software, Solar Assistant is the way (make sure you join the beta and run the latest version, I had some connection issues with older versions but I can't blame them on SA; they could have been user error)
@Mattb4 found the best price on fuses.
I use the links below but buy them when the holders are available used like new.

Blue Sea Systems 5118 Class T 250 -Amp Fuse https://a.co/d/izP3UF5

Blue Sea Systems Class T Fuse Blocks https://a.co/d/fCbGfBN

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231118-062155.jpg
    Screenshot_20231118-062155.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 6
Can't help with the monitoring software, Solar Assistant is the way (make sure you join the beta and run the latest version, I had some connection issues with older versions but I can't blame them on SA; they could have been user error)
I use the links below but buy them when the holders are available used like new.

Why a T-fuse? Not a mega fuse? MRBF ?

I just ordered these ten minutes before reading your post. Do you still have the original monitoring hardware? I might want it if you aren't using it

Why a T-fuse? Not a mega fuse? MRBF ?
From what I understand mega and MRBF are not capable of stopping an arc from a dead short at 48v lifepo4 operating voltages, the class T has the interrupt rating for it.
I'm know other experts have explained it in much greater detail, a search or class T vs mrbf or mega will find you some great discussions.
I just ordered these ten minutes before reading your post. Do you still have the original monitoring hardware? I might want it if you aren't using it
I still have the wifi dongle in the box, you should get one with the inverter. I'm not sure on what the software is used for wireless monitoring. I can dig up the software for hardwiring to a pc unless @Kenny_ has it bookmarked.

From what I understand mega and MRBF are not capable of stopping an arc from a dead short at 48v lifepo4 operating voltages, the class T has the interrupt rating for it.
I'm know other experts have explained it in much greater detail, a search or class T vs mrbf or mega will find you some great discussions.

I still have the wifi dongle in the box, you should get one with the inverter. I'm not sure on what the software is used for wireless monitoring. I can dig up the software for hardwiring to a pc unless @Kenny_ has it bookmarked.

I figured out the pc monitoring but I'd like to be able to monitor it remotely. Let me know if you would sell me your hardware.

The wifi install downloads an app to talk to the wifi....but as I've said it's shit and never worked for me ...

I figured out the pc monitoring but I'd like to be able to monitor it remotely. Let me know if you would sell me your hardware.
I'm going to hold onto the dongle for now incase Solar Assistant provides wireless communication in the future.

I linked the dongle below, I'm surprised yours didn't come with one.

If you already have a spare raspberry pi I'd just buy the license for SA vs the wifi dongle.

$33.80 17%OFF | SRNE WiFi Module Wireless Device With RS-485 Remote Monitoring Solution For MPPT Off Grid Hybrid Solar Power Inverter WIFI Port

I'm going to hold onto the dongle for now incase Solar Assistant provides wireless communication in the future.

I linked the dongle below, I'm surprised yours didn't come with one.

If you already have a spare raspberry pi I'd just buy the license for SA vs the wifi dongle.

$33.80 17%OFF | SRNE WiFi Module Wireless Device With RS-485 Remote Monitoring Solution For MPPT Off Grid Hybrid Solar Power Inverter WIFI Port
My machine did not come with any wireless equipment. Solar Assistant is clearly superior but pretty expensive for just a bunch of graphs

Also, the pc software isn't so bad, however it seems to only show only one side of pv and one leg of grid.

My machine did not come with any wireless equipment. Solar Assistant is clearly superior but pretty expensive for just a bunch of graphs
You can also adjust settings and view raw data as well.
I thought it was somewhat expensive until I used it and dealt with their support... I won't run a system without it.

Attachments

• IMG_20231118_125621.jpg
    IMG_20231118_125621.jpg
    469.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20231118_125544.jpg
    IMG_20231118_125544.jpg
    335.7 KB · Views: 14
The non top balanced Envision pack is getting a little closer to balancing out but it's still annoying me.
Things have been solid since bringing it online back at the beginning of September.
I did have some issues with SA connectivity today. I changed the RS485 address to ID 4 and it seems much better. It does take SA a bit longer to connect, this makes sense since it appears to scan through addresses until it finds something.
Bunch of charts for anyone interested.

Attachments

• IMG_20231118_153936.jpg
    IMG_20231118_153936.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20231118_154535.jpg
    IMG_20231118_154535.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20231118_154736.jpg
    IMG_20231118_154736.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20231118_154849.jpg
    IMG_20231118_154849.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20231118_154630.jpg
    IMG_20231118_154630.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
The non top balanced Envision pack is getting a little closer to balancing out but it's still annoying me.
Things have been solid since bringing it online back at the beginning of September.
I did have some issues with SA connectivity today. I changed the RS485 address to ID 4 and it seems much better. It does take SA a bit longer to connect, this makes sense since it appears to scan through addresses until it finds something.
Bunch of charts for anyone interested.
I'll see if I I can get my hands on a rasperry pie. Which cable are you using to connect to it?

I keep considering a small nearly vertical ESE facing array or just flush mounting panels on the side of the house, damned addictions ?
That morning production could be very beneficial...
Had a I known I'd be a solar addict when I built the garage I would have oriented it differently with a steeper roof pitch...
IMG_20231119_071722__01.jpg

Every time I'm out in the morning or walking around the yard at the end of the day my wife is enjoying the leaves changing colors or what is blooming.

Me? I'm trying to see what still is unshaded and what I could cut down to remove shading or if a spot would be worth adding panels to for a longer daily production :)

My Official Solar Tester was pointing out early this morning all the sunshine on the west pasture during the early morning sun, while all the PValong the East property line was in partial shadows...then she asked if today would be a good day for running a few loads through the washer and electric dryer!
She asked: is there a simple disply we can put on the wall above the dryer that will let me know if we have enough battery/sunshine to run the dryer without asking you?
- Yup! now she's hooked too! (maybe those minimum-charge electrical bills she sees each month had an impact )

My Official Solar Tester was pointing out early this morning all the sunshine on the west pasture during the early morning sun, while all the PValong the East property line was in partial shadows...then she asked if today would be a good day for running a few loads through the washer and electric dryer!

She asked: is there a simple display we can put on the wall above the dryer that will let me know if we have enough battery/sunshine to run the dryer without asking you?
- Yup! now she's hooked too! (maybe those minimum-charge electrical bills she sees each month had an impact )
That’s a brilliant idea!

How did you implement it?

If anyone is interested in the internals, I came across a recent video on youtube (the captions are pretty bad...). Internals start around 11 minutes in.

Please point out the good, bad and ugly.

Ever get any feedback on this?

Ever get any feedback on this?
crickets-crickets-chirping.gif

That’s a brilliant idea!

How did you implement it?
I didn't implement the "simple display" part - at least not yet!
I have to figure, will I put up a small monitor showing the Solar Assistant main display - shows the battery level loads and how much incoming solar all on one easy view,
Or set up a Red Light - Green Light above the dryer - above 52 volts = green otherwise Red?
What do you guys think?

I have to figure, will I put up a small monitor showing the Solar Assistant main display - shows the battery level loads and how much incoming solar all on one easy view,
Or set up a Red Light - Green Light above the dryer - above 52 volts = green otherwise Red?
What do you guys think?
I like the red light green light, as long as she isn't color blind. I'm a big proponent of andon lighting.
Could use the kiss approach and just put a remote voltage display with a <> 52V label...

What do you guys think?

You can use a Tablet as a second monitor ( extended or mirror your display) ... thats another option ...

diy solar

diy solar
Back