diy solar

diy solar

6000EX-48HV Issues with batteries charging above 54v with sufficient PV input

Mendo Home Power

Solar Enthusiast
6000EX-48HV Issues with batteries charging above 54v with sufficient PV input in USE mode. The 20kwh of LI-Ion batteries are tested and not malfunctioning.

This is what I sent to EG4 tech support and Sig Solar around a week ago;
I purchased an EG4 6K Off-Grid Split Phase Inverter | 6000EX-48HV for a client as a replacement off grid unit . I am having issues with the charge on the batteries getting above 54v. I am familiar with the charge parameters. The unit is set to use as I have existing Lithium -Ion (NMC) batteries that I am using. The Bulk is set to 57.8v in setting 17 and the float is set to 57 in setting 18.. Solar input averages around 4 to 5kw for 5 to 6 hrs a day at around 240v DC. The previous charging on the old inverter brought the batteries up to float level by around 1:00pm on a sunny or partially sunny day.

Thoughts?

I've got two EG4 6000's in parallel. It seems so far that I am only getting PV input from one string of 8 four hundred fifty five watt panels going into each inverter. Slave inverter shows lots of PV charging for the day, up to 14kw, but the host shows minimal input, maybe 1kw per day. I have had a few cloudy days so my testing has been complicated.

I've got two EG4 6000's in parallel. It seems so far that I am only getting PV input from one string of 8 four hundred fifty five watt panels going into each inverter. Slave inverter shows lots of PV charging for the day, up to 14kw, but the host shows minimal input, maybe 1kw per day. I have had a few cloudy days so my testing has been complicated.
What voltage do you have your inverters set at? What voltage are your batteries charging to?

Using the EG4 setting on number 14 on host, user on slave....they are getting to 56 volts. PV input is usually around 347 volts.

A link to the firmware updates. Not sure if that can help with your problem.

Yes I've looked at that. Says it's for the remote panel. Also there are no instructions or available update system that I can see. I can do it on Growatt and MPP but need to wait for some comprehensive instructions. Nothing worse than bricking a controller.

So I've gotten a one sentence response yesterday from SS. "What do you have setting 21 set to?" This statement without any context could lead to a lot of assumptions.
I do have 21 set to 54v, but if that setting is related to the PV not picking charging past 54v then there is a serious glitch in the firmware.
My response was
"Are you suggesting that item 21 needs to be set differently? To full? Wouldn't that defeat the purpose? I set up most of my installs with grid backup. Set to charge the batteries just enough to get through until solar takes over again.
I think I need a more thorough answer."

If settings 20 and 21 were related to your problem, then you should be able to change setting 10 to solar only? and if that fixes the problem of charging from solar all the way up to bulk and float then wouldn't there be a firmware issue exposed?

6000EX-48HV Issues with batteries charging above 54v with sufficient PV input in USE mode. The 20kwh of LI-Ion batteries are tested and not malfunctioning.

This is what I sent to EG4 tech support and Sig Solar around a week ago;
I purchased an EG4 6K Off-Grid Split Phase Inverter | 6000EX-48HV for a client as a replacement off grid unit . I am having issues with the charge on the batteries getting above 54v. I am familiar with the charge parameters. The unit is set to use as I have existing Lithium -Ion (NMC) batteries that I am using. The Bulk is set to 57.8v in setting 17 and the float is set to 57 in setting 18.. Solar input averages around 4 to 5kw for 5 to 6 hrs a day at around 240v DC. The previous charging on the old inverter brought the batteries up to float level by around 1:00pm on a sunny or partially sunny day.

Thoughts?
I am having a hard time understanding your entire sequence and expected outcomes. If you have only one inverter, then I think your setting on 05 is set to LION, not USE. My USE setting is for my slave inverters to pull settings from my master which is EG4 since those are the type of batteries I have. I think it is likely the issue setting 05 is overridding the other settings.

I am having a hard time understanding your entire sequence and expected outcomes. If you have only one inverter, then I think your setting on 05 is set to LION, not USE. My USE setting is for my slave inverters to pull settings from my master which is EG4 since those are the type of batteries I have. I think it is likely the issue setting 05 is overridding the other settings.
Maybe so if you are using batteries that are communicating with the inverter which have been popular for the last couple of years. Lion would only be used in that circumstance. For For built batteries or batteries that don't communicate, use is the correct setting. It gives better control of the charging parameters.

Maybe so if you are using batteries that are communicating with the inverter which have been popular for the last couple of years. Lion would only be used in that circumstance. For For built batteries or batteries that don't communicate, use is the correct setting. It gives better control of the charging parameters.
I assumed the 05 settings were to default to the best settings based on battery composition selected. It’s unfortunate you aren’t getting better support. Seems we are on our own.

I assumed the 05 settings were to default to the best settings based on battery composition selected. It’s unfortunate you aren’t getting better support. Seems we are on our own.
Finally got a response that states they are mailing me the proper cable to do a firmware update and emailed the firmware without any backup documentation like how to do factory reset afterwords, etc. I probably won't see the cord til after New Years and will have to deal with someone for proper update protocols, but it's a start.

Finally got a response that states they are mailing me the proper cable to do a firmware update and emailed the firmware without any backup documentation like how to do factory reset afterwords, etc. I probably won't see the cord til after New Years and will have to deal with someone for proper update protocols, but it's a start.
When you receive the cable, I would recommend going to eg4electronics.com and watching the walk thru video for firmware updates. What exactly do you mean by factory reset?

When you receive the cable, I would recommend going to eg4electronics.com and watching the walk thru video for firmware updates. What exactly do you mean by factory reset?
Ben After another two days I haven't recieved any confirmation of shipment or anything so it's up in the air as to whether or not I will actually get the cable. But to answer your question, On Growatts when I update firmware I always do a factory reset to default settings before and after an update. Especially when I'm going to parallel more than one unit.

Ben After another two days I haven't recieved any confirmation of shipment or anything so it's up in the air as to whether or not I will actually get the cable. But to answer your question, On Growatts when I update firmware I always do a factory reset to default settings before and after an update. Especially when I'm going to parallel more than one unit.
You won't need to perform a factory reset. Just a power cycle will suffice.

I'll look and see where we're at with shipping it out.

can you chat me your info, name, number, email address

can you chat me your info, name, number, email address
So I finally retrieved the USB to Serial at the old address which I tried to update with you. There are no instructions specific to this inverter that I can find on the EG4 website. But from watching the one three minute video that is on their site, it appears that I need another cord as well, an rj45 to Serial to plug into the usb to serial. Is this correct? Seems rather convoluted to me. Also the firmware you sent doesn't appear to address my issues and there are still no specific instructions for the process. As it stands right now I am going to have to replace the unit and try to use it somewhere else. If I can't get proper support I will be shipping it back.

So I finally retrieved the USB to Serial at the old address which I tried to update with you. There are no instructions specific to this inverter that I can find on the EG4 website. But from watching the one three minute video that is on their site, it appears that I need another cord as well, an rj45 to Serial to plug into the usb to serial. Is this correct? Seems rather convoluted to me. Also the firmware you sent doesn't appear to address my issues and there are still no specific instructions for the process. As it stands right now I am going to have to replace the unit and try to use it somewhere else. If I can't get proper support I will be shipping it back.
The serial to inverter cable should have came with the inverter, my 6048 did. It's nice they shipped you the USB to serial for free. I didn't even think to ask SGP to ship one out ? then again I never needed to update the firmware, just bought the USB to serial for solar assistant.

Could you share all your settings or the post if you already have? I'll compare them to mine. I have zero issues charging to 57.2V using pv and/or grid.

The serial to inverter cable should have came with the inverter, my 6048 did. It's nice they shipped you the USB to serial for free. I didn't even think to ask SGP to ship one out ? then again I never needed to update the firmware, just bought the USB to serial for solar assistant.

Could you share all your settings or the post if you already have? I'll compare them to mine. I have zero issues charging to 57.2V using pv and/or grid.
I'll be back onsite
in a couple of days and will note the settings

Back