diy solar

diy solar

6000EX-48HV Issues with batteries charging above 54v with sufficient PV input

I am getting the drivers I have to connect to the USB device and see it as a serial port.
There is data /traffic / garbage coming out of the green pair and brown pair of wires to a terminal viewer app (called coolterm).

However Watchpower sees nothing at all. Sooooo ... soo annoying and frustrating.
Galstaf,
Here is the link to the version of drivers they sent me. I believe they are from 2020. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aqriZnH1fqQn9ClHApxoE7isGcJUVds-/view?usp=share_link
I will be attempting to connect again this morning using a different PC in hopes that the one I use for all my other firmware updates is somehow at fault as Sig Solar suggests.

I tried WatchPower with the EG46000.
It did not work.
I went to SolarPower and it worked fine.
If you folks already tried this, then just ignore this message.
of course this does not help firmware upgrades.
How did you get the "Solar Power" cd to work? It will not unzip when I install it.....what the heck does it do or show?

As an update to my original post which was that the batteries were not able to charge above 54v, whether from solar or from utilities while in USE mode on the battery setting; I was able to get the batteries to charge to full capacity by shifting setting 01 to SUB "Solar energy provides power to the loads as first priority. If solar energy is not sufficient to power all connected loads, Utility energy will supply power to the loads at the same time."
instead of SBU and changing Setting 10 to SNU, "Solar energy and utility/AC input will charge battery at the same time." from CSO.
This doesn't seem to make much sense based on the function descriptions and it a isn't useful setting if connected to the grid as backup only. Hopefully, if the firmware update can get installed this will resolve the issue with confused settings and the batteries will be able to charge fully in the correct settings.
The settings on the inverter are very basic without a lot of options. It's possible that EG4 has opted for more manufacturer battery control via smart batteries than allowing for user options with customer built or dumb batteries.
One of the fixes that Sig Solar requested was that I run larger strings with my solar panels to reduce the combined amperage of the panels . The theory from Sig Solar was that smaller voltage strings were over ampping the MPPT charge controller and keeping the batteries from charging. Since the issue was occuring whether the solar was charging the batteries or the utility was charging the batteries it is doubtful that was the issue. Any MPPT controllers I have used always just sluff off any excess power once max input is reached. There seems to be a 27 amp maximum input for the MPPT charge controller on the 6000EX. I believe that the MPPT controller is a strip down version with only basic functionality and easily overwhelmed. FYI I'm running 3 strings of eight panels at 385w @ 9 amps per string. Yes it's at the high end of what the controller can take.

As an update to my original post which was that the batteries were not able to charge above 54v, whether from solar or from utilities while in USE mode on the battery setting; I was able to get the batteries to charge to full capacity by shifting setting 01 to SUB "Solar energy provides power to the loads as first priority. If solar energy is not sufficient to power all connected loads, Utility energy will supply power to the loads at the same time."
instead of SBU and changing Setting 10 to SNU, "Solar energy and utility/AC input will charge battery at the same time." from CSO.
This doesn't seem to make much sense based on the function descriptions and it a isn't useful setting if connected to the grid as backup only. Hopefully, if the firmware update can get installed this will resolve the issue with confused settings and the batteries will be able to charge fully in the correct settings.
The settings on the inverter are very basic without a lot of options. It's possible that EG4 has opted for more manufacturer battery control via smart batteries than allowing for user options with customer built or dumb batteries.
One of the fixes that Sig Solar requested was that I run larger strings with my solar panels to reduce the combined amperage of the panels . The theory from Sig Solar was that smaller voltage strings were over ampping the MPPT charge controller and keeping the batteries from charging. Since the issue was occuring whether the solar was charging the batteries or the utility was charging the batteries it is doubtful that was the issue. Any MPPT controllers I have used always just sluff off any excess power once max input is reached. There seems to be a 27 amp maximum input for the MPPT charge controller on the 6000EX. I believe that the MPPT controller is a strip down version with only basic functionality and easily overwhelmed. FYI I'm running 3 strings of eight panels at 385w @ 9 amps per string. Yes it's at the high end of what the controller can take.
WHenever I check my batteries with a multimeter I never read above 54 volts either. This is while they are charging/discharging so I don't know if this is a correct reading. Hopefully I am not damaging my batteries......I have not had anymore issues with the system shutting down randomly every day....It is accepting PV input and blending grid input at night without any issues besides the light flicker. I think I will try the SUB setting and see how it goes.

WHenever I check my batteries with a multimeter I never read above 54 volts either. This is while they are charging/discharging so I don't know if this is a correct reading. Hopefully I am not damaging my batteries......I have not had anymore issues with the system shutting down randomly every day....It is accepting PV input and blending grid input at night without any issues besides the light flicker. I think I will try the SUB setting and see how it goes.
Be aware that the batteries I am using in this instance are NMC chemistry and not LFP. There is a higher charging voltage.

I just tested the WatchPower app again, it does not connect to the EG46000.
I reconnected the SolarPower app and it connected no issues.
The WatchPower app is NOT a gauge to determine connectivity here for making firmware upgrades with
the firmware downloads and Reflash apps. Unless you folks know something i do not..?

This morning I returned to the site where the inverter is to attempt updating the firmware again. Since Sig Solar had inferred that it was my computer that was in error,I was armed with a freshly updated windows 10 tablet complete with the assigned version of firmware from Sig Solar. I had high hopes. Unfortunately, even though the tablet recognized the serial adapter and assigned it a com port, it would not recognize the inverter no mater how I tried to persuade it by rebooting, unplugging, etc. So after more than a month, I am where I started and my client still has an issue of not having fully charged batteries on days when they should be at full capacity by 1:00pm.

I was asked by Sig Solar for a picture of the product sticker on the inverter so they could see the serial # and escalate the ticket to the next level, whatever that is. When looking at the sticker I noticed that the production date/tamper sticker that covers a screw slot had been tampered with at some point. Since it wasn't me, I'm wondering if the rumors I've heard about Sig Solar going in and removing the bonding screws on their EG4 units is true? The plot thickens.

We'll be in touch tomorrow to see what we can do to get the situation resolved.
Ben,
Ty from Sig Solar did indeed get back in touch. After not being able to resolve the problem because the serial adapter and the inverter will not communicate, which is based on using several different Windows PC's, I now feel as if I am being ghosted. I have asked for the next steps and am not being answered. Whether it's good or it's bad you folks need to do a better job of stepping up to the plate and resolving problems. I have spent the equivalent of the purchase price of a different inverter dealing with this and trying to get you folks on board. I guess I will need to buy something else from somewhere else. While it may not be a big deal on your end to ghost a single client, let me help you to understand that I have referred my share of customers to your enterprise. Six fairly sizable orders over the last six months. I have two projects pending this month. One has already taken delivery of over 16k in product. I will be installing the system for him. The next hasn't ordered yet. Looks like elsewhere is going to get some business.
This is what I just sent Ty. " Here we are yet another 24 hours later with no response from your end. Today the inverter is charging from the grid even though there is available solar and setting 01 is at SBU, and setting 10 is at CSO. Please advise. How do we deal with the firmware problem? Shall I just box it up? YOU NEED TO MAKE A DECISION!!"

I am now understanding why watts247 stopped carrying this model.

Last edited:
Ben,
Ty from Sig Solar did indeed get back in touch. After not being able to resolve the problem because the serial adapter and the inverter will not communicate, which is based on using several different Windows PC's, I now feel as if I am being ghosted. I have asked for the next steps and am not being answered. Whether it's good or it's bad you folks need to do a better job of stepping up to the plate and resolving problems. I have spent the equivalent of the purchase price of a different inverter dealing with this and trying to get you folks on board. I guess I will need to buy something else from somewhere else. While it may not be a big deal on your end to ghost a single client, let me help you to understand that I have referred my share of customers to your enterprise. Six fairly sizable orders over the last six months. I have two projects pending this month. One has already taken delivery of over 16k in product. I will be installing the system for him. The next hasn't ordered yet. Looks like elsewhere is going to get some business.
This is what I just sent Ty. " Here we are yet another 24 hours later with no response from your end. Today the inverter is charging from the grid even though there is available solar and setting 01 is at SBU, and setting 10 is at CSO. Please advise. How do we deal with the firmware problem? Shall I just box it up? YOU NEED TO MAKE A DECISION!!"

Just checked the ticketing system and you have been escalated to another technician. You will be contacted on Monday to find a resolution

Ben,

How's it coming along? Any resolution?
You are not alone! We are rooting for you! ;-)

SIg Solar asked me to send pictures of how the 6000EX failed to update its firmware. At first I just scratched my head, then I sent them these photos. It shows what the inverter didn't do based on the drivers they had me install in my PC. I wonder if this will finally help them to see that there is a problem on their end.
Actually, I would like to see them just abandon the serial port adapter method and develop firmware that takes advantage of the micro USB port on the inverter. Them customers wouldn't need to try and adapt two or three patch cords together just to update the firmware. If I can keep this unit limping along I will wait for something like that. The current method is a joke. Especially when Sig Solar is so reluctant to admit they have an issue.

Attachments

• IMG_20230125_101533634_PORTRAIT.jpg
    IMG_20230125_101533634_PORTRAIT.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20230125_101557635_PORTRAIT.jpg
    IMG_20230125_101557635_PORTRAIT.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20230125_102346786.jpg
    IMG_20230125_102346786.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 15
Does the SolarPower app work? Specifically, that app?
I would think that if there was any communication at all, it would read it.
SolarPower works ok with my 6000EX

Does the SolarPower app work? Specifically, that app?
I would think that if there was any communication at all, it would read it.
SolarPower works ok with my 6000EX
do you have a link to that app please so we can check it out?

I found this one on the mppsolar site- maybe give it a try. Seems like they have a few options there.
Mppsolar has a download section that has various apps.

I'm getting the feeling that the MPPsolar app will be different. I believe the EG4 unit is modeled after the clone unit that MPP solar has been warning about for a few years from bootleg dealers. The EG4 unit comes from China whereas the MPP unit comes from Taiwan.

I'm getting the feeling that the MPPsolar app will be different. I believe the EG4 unit is modeled after the clone unit that MPP solar has been warning about for a few years from bootleg dealers. The EG4 unit comes from China whereas the MPP unit comes from Taiwan.
The SolarPower app that i use came from mppsolar :)
And i have been using it for the EG4 communication and it works fine for me.
It showed me that I had communication with the EG46000 when I was having difficulty makeing a
firmware upgrade a few months ago. Like I mentioned before, I had to shut off all other programs before I could upgrade. I do regret that it has not been helpful for you Mendo.
One more thing, the comm cable is from mppsolar also and works good for all my equipment.
The one i got from EG4 seems a bit picky to me. So I dont use it.

Last edited:
So without any backup or additional information I got a postage paid RMA for the return of the LCD screen for a different model of inverter. An hour or so later I got an order confirmation for an LCD screen for the inverter I have. No other words or explanation. I will have to assume that Sig Solar wants me to change out the LCD screen and send the old one back?

Back