diy solar

diy solar

6000EX-48HV Issues with batteries charging above 54v with sufficient PV input

The issues that you've been showing will be fixed by swapping to a display that already has the newest FW loaded. There are 2 screws and one cable that you'll need to switch over. I'll follow up with that team to make sure instructions are clearly communicated as well as to see why your return label was made for the wrong unit.

The issues that you've been showing will be fixed by swapping to a display that already has the newest FW loaded. There are 2 screws and one cable that you'll need to switch over. I'll follow up with that team to make sure instructions are clearly communicated as well as to see why your return label was made for the wrong unit.
So with the new firmware, is the unit able to communicate through the micro USB port for updates?

Might consider it for a future update. I think serial ports went out with Windows XP
Seems to be functioning correctly now. It was an easy trade out of the front bottom cover and monitor. But is I was less experienced I may have had trouble, which is why not having any communication from Sig Solar other than to say the parts were on the way is still troubling. I also believe that had I not posted my problem here I would not yet have a resolution to it. Anyway, thanks for your assistance. I have had two more clients make fairly large orders last week and this week. I'll see how it goes if I need to communicate with tech support.

Seems to be functioning correctly now. It was an easy trade out of the front bottom cover and monitor. But is I was less experienced I may have had trouble, which is why not having any communication from Sig Solar other than to say the parts were on the way is still troubling. I also believe that had I not posted my problem here I would not yet have a resolution to it. Anyway, thanks for your assistance. I have had two more clients make fairly large orders last week and this week. I'll see how it goes if I need to communicate with tech support.
Glad to hear you got it up and running!

Glad to hear you got it up and running!
Well, that was short lived. Batteries back at not charging above 54v when set to 57.9v. Except this time the grid is now kicking in at midday to take over charging. All settings are within correct parameters and the MPPT is not overworked with regards to amps or watts. I'm afraid this unit is not a keeper. Hopefully there aren't too many other customers that are experiencing the same thing. What we do know is that the issues are imbedded deeper than firmware and not in the inverter itself as it would appear that the brains are scrambled. Maybe you could do a recall and replace the remote monitor completely on the ones out there. Cheaper than recalling the entire inverter. Please share your thoughts and have someone from tech support contact me with a workable solution. I'm tired of angry customers who are doubting my abilities based on a less than functional piece of equipment.

I've got a shopping cart full of goodies over on SS right now, including the EG4 6000 unit discussed here, minutes away from pulling the trigger. I came over here to browse and see if I could find some info on their new "chargeverter" and maybe some info on remote monitoring. I have very little experience in solar, however I do have a background in electronics. I was fairly confident I could put my planned system together and work through any problems that arose. I am now second guessing that. There is nothing more frustrating than a lack of clear, timely, communications from the tech support of a company you just spent tens of thousands of dollars with! At any time were you able to get their tech support on the phone to work on this issue in real time? My system will be installed in a remote location, nearly inaccessable in the winter, and I don't want to have to worry about firmware updates, comm ports, drivers, etc. I certainly dont want to have to troubleshoot the thing via email if something goes wrong!!

I've got a shopping cart full of goodies over on SS right now, including the EG4 6000 unit discussed here, minutes away from pulling the trigger. I came over here to browse and see if I could find some info on their new "chargeverter" and maybe some info on remote monitoring. I have very little experience in solar, however I do have a background in electronics. I was fairly confident I could put my planned system together and work through any problems that arose. I am now second guessing that. There is nothing more frustrating than a lack of clear, timely, communications from the tech support of a company you just spent tens of thousands of dollars with! At any time were you able to get their tech support on the phone to work on this issue in real time? My system will be installed in a remote location, nearly inaccessable in the winter, and I don't want to have to worry about firmware updates, comm ports, drivers, etc. I certainly dont want to have to troubleshoot the thing via email if something goes wrong!!
Tech support just called me and I have to say it was the best experience I've had to date. We are working through what it may be and he has promised to call back early tomorrow afternoon. I will post the outcome here.

I'm glad to hear it! Was this the first call in the 3 months you have been working on the issue?

I'm glad to hear it! Was this the first call in the 3 months you have been working on the issue?
It's the first prompt call. Before it's been days out with followup by email with infrequent responses. I decided that calling for tech support in a public forum got much better results and apparently that is true. That being said, the service tech was very thorough and said he was part of a new solution to lacking service. I also discussed the possibility of issues with two of the 8k EG4 units that I just had clients purchase. He was honest about it and said there are issues being worked out with battery communication with their eg4 batteries and I should use the Lead acid setting until the battery firmware is able to be updated. I appreciated his honesty and it will save me hours of fiddling by trying to use the battery protocols that are listed in the manual that apparently don't work. It's a good start. Much better that the ever decreasing quality of tech support coming from Sol-Ark over a couple of years as they got bigger and bigger.

You might want to hold off on the EG46000.
I am having a huge issue here with mine dying overnight after my heat pump was put on it and it only ran at 1400 watts but ran most of the night. The next morning the whole house smelled of fried circuit board and after comunicating with SS they said I can't use the EG46000.
They asked me to open it up , so I did and there was a battery bolt on the (I think on the main board) showing a bad or poor contact melting down. Now I do not know if it was my fault, but I cannot see how since the Geo has a soft start and runs great on the grid. I asked SS for a return label and have had dead air space all week. My EG46000 had a riduculously low stress life never seeing 3000 watts.
I checked for ripple and my meter would not read that low, I use separate charge controllers also.
I put my scope on the Geo terminals and the waverform was pretty good. I have never seen a perfect waveform on the inverter outputs, close, but never perfect. I use separate charge controllers because of the flickering issues when charging hard. So I did not even have that issue.
Everything was working great until I put that continous 1400 watt load on.
I reinstalled my old LVX6048 and it is running fine. The LVX cannot be paralled, I was trying to get away from MPPSolar.

Last edited:
I am having a huge issue here with mine dying overnight after my heat pump was put on it and it only ran at 1400 watts but ran most of the night. The next morning the whole house smelled of fried circuit board and after communicating with SS they said I can't use the EG46000.
They asked me to open it up , so I did and there was a battery bolt on the (I think on the main board) showing a bad or poor contact melting down. Now I do not know if it was my fault, but I cannot see how since the Geo has a soft start and runs great on the grid. I asked SS for a return label and have had dead air space all week. My EG46000 had a ridiculously low stress life never seeing 3000 watts.
I checked for ripple and my meter would not read that low, I use separate charge controllers also.
I put my scope on the Geo terminals and the waverform was pretty good. I have never seen a perfect waveform on the inverter outputs, close, but never perfect. I use separate charge controllers because of the flickering issues when charging hard. So I did not even have that issue.
Everything was working great until I put that continuous 1400 watt load on.
I reinstalled my old LVX6048 and it is running fine. The LVX cannot be paralled, I was trying to get away from MPPSolar.
My customers unit, after further communication and analysis, is shutting down when the microwave is running, Only a 1200w load on top of a maybe 500 to 600w load. So this is a similar situation as to yours. The inverter is not restarting and the grid is not coming in as bypass. Sig Solar is saying that it is possibly a defective MPPT board. I will know better when I crack the cover. If I see a situation similar to yours I will post it here. For now the clients house is operating on the grid in case there are any hazards in the inverter itself. As a side note, keep in mind that Watts247 stopped selling this unit around the time Sig Solar had it privately labeled as an EG4 unit.

I am having a huge issue here with mine dying overnight after my heat pump was put on it and it only ran at 1400 watts but ran most of the night. The next morning the whole house smelled of fried circuit board and after comunicating with SS they said I can't use the EG46000.
They asked me to open it up , so I did and there was a battery bolt on the (I think on the main board) showing a bad or poor contact melting down. Now I do not know if it was my fault, but I cannot see how since the Geo has a soft start and runs great on the grid. I asked SS for a return label and have had dead air space all week. My EG46000 had a riduculously low stress life never seeing 3000 watts.
Everything was working great until I put that continous 1400 watt load on.
Ahh man, I'm sorry to hear it! It seems like the more I'm on this message board, the more of these similar stories I keep coming across. It certainly gives me pause! I'm not a wealthy man...I cannot afford to do this more than once. I have to make the right decision the first time!

As a side note, keep in mind that Watts247 stopped selling this unit around the time Sig Solar had it privately labeled as an EG4 unit.
Is this true of both the EG⁴ 6kW and the 6.5kW? How about the other units, i.e. the 8kW unit that EG⁴ makes?

Is this true of both the EG⁴ 6kW and the 6.5kW? How about the other units, i.e. the 8kW unit that EG⁴ makes?
EG4 is only a brand name on a generic inverter sold by many companies that contract with the manufacturer and place their own label on the units. watts247 has dealt with the manufaturer of many of these units, MPP Solar, for a number of years now. If you are going to get a unit made by MPP solar, it may be best to get it with their label on it. You have a better chance of having warranty work done by the company that built it as opposed to the custom label company trying to get up to speed figuring out what any quirks are. The difference in the units can also be the firmware for communicating with both the batteries and the charge controllers. The EG4 units have customized their version of the firmware to interact with the EG4 batteries. There are major glitches as is now confirmed by Sig Solar techs. They want you to use lead acid settings instead of lithium settings in order to not have the system crash. There is more but at least that part has been confirmed by Sig Solar.

Back