diy solar

diy solar

600w induction on 100ah?

solarstuff

Can I build a camping system out of an Eco-worthy 100ah and Giandel 600w/1200w inverter, if all the wires are short and over-specced, fused for wire size, or will it kill the battery?

For inductive loads like the nuwave induction cooktop on low at 600 W, on a 12 V inverter is going to pull 50-60 A on a short run, right? Or am I missing something?

EDIT: asking because of the poor repute of eco-worthy BMS. Only using the inverter for that, the rest of the time I will only power a 60w fridge, occasionally recharging phones or a few ac lights, all without inverter.

Last edited:
It should hold, your napkin math is about right. As to whether the BMS in the battery will let you pull that is a different question. All I can say is try it but have a battery charger standing by in case it trips the BMS and needs to be woken up.

If the Eco-Worthy BMS is specced to allow discharge of above 80 amps, it should hold.

I don’t know the over amperage specs of the ECO-Worthy BMS, but BMS in pre built batteries are typically in the 50% to 100 % of amp hour capacity, which for your battery would be 50 amps to 100 amps before tripping.

I’m also unsure of the surge of the cooktop, so that is why I said should.

The burner will pull 600/.85watts, a little over 700 watts from the battery to cook, close to 60 amps at 12 volts, but 70 amps when the battery is low at 10 volts.

The Nuwave induction unit has a max power of 1500 watts. Most induction cook tops PWM modulate the power at lower settings so the peak current will still be high even at low settings. This peak current may exceed the BMS or inverter limit.
The specification for the battery suggests a 100 amp limit. With the inverter at 1200 watts it may just work.
Nothing should be damaged if you try out the induction cooker, at the worst the BMS or inverter will shutdown

I don't think it's appropriate/necessary to consider an inductive cooktop an inductive load, certainly not in the same category as a motor and such. The power is transferred inductively, but not directly from the 50/60 Hz source. That would be horribly inefficient. The power is most likely converted to DC, which is then used to generate high-frequency, likely high-voltage pulses that actually transmit the energy.

Yeah, the term gets 'guilt by association' with inductive motor loads, which it has nothing in common with.

I do WISH that 50/60hz would conveniently inductively heat things. Because while i can get a used stove or standalone induction cooktop cheaply enough, i can't get one of these worth a crap without spending more than a used stove, which i think is so unfair.

Back