diy solar

diy solar

Alibaba LiFePo4 batteries

Blue" Aluminum LiFePO4 batterie

I have studied many posts in different Forums regarding "blue" Aluminum LiFePO4 batteries, and came up with some comments.
When testing the power of a battery you should use the current specified as the optimal for batteries, in the example it was a 75Ah battery and then you would have discharge with 37.5A ie 480W and not with 150A corresponding to 2C, which battery but can with less capacity and higher heating. The probability is that Ri also rises when you discharge the battery and then the loss effect increases even more.
It became too much rattling over the enclosure and difficult to get stable battery pack, and it became hot 60 degrees (loss> 28W at 12V versus 7W at 12V and 0.5C). The accompanying interconnection was also poorly made, easy to change to the usual flat copper paths normally used.

If you take Wh / Kg as a comparison between aluminum and plastic-enclosed batteries, the flat-enclosed battery is probably also plastic around an aluminum enclosed battery. If you count on the weight of a 5mm thick plastic capsule and reinforced top and bottom, it will be approximately, (Winston 200Ah) 7.9-2.3-0.2 = 5.4Kg. A little closer to an aluminum enclosed battery that weighs about 4.1Kg for equivalent capacity. The difference after this calculation is that the plastic battery has a slightly larger volume, which may be because it has better structure for having better balanced Ri differences.
When building DIY with aluminum encased, you have to think a little more about how to assemble the individual cells into a package. The advantage of aluminum enclosed must be that the thermal connection to the environment is better. It would be interesting to discharge a plastic battery with 2C a full discharge and then measure the temperature of that battery.

When choosing a battery, one must take into account the purpose of the battery pack. If it is to be able to drive for example 10KW, then you have to count backwards and see how much current my converter needs, depends on the voltage. For example, in a 48V system need to be able to leave about 200A, if the normal discharge current of the used batteries is 0.5C then you must have 400Ah batteries or parallel connected batteries with lower Ah values which together give 400Ah.

My own design is to take out maximum of 2500W, which gives about 100A in a 24V system to my boat. I have expected to use 16 pieces of 202Ah cells from RJ-Energy, and I have had contact with a seller at www.rj-lithium.com. After some mail exchanges to sort out document differences on their website, I have received a price and shipping cost proposal, depending on the shipping method. The price including shipping was $ 140.125 and $ 120.125, respectively.
I had thought of incorporating the cells into a stainless steel box (0.5mm thickness) the size of the AGM batteries ie 510x232x225mm, where it can also fit BMS, fuse, switch, temperature sensor, DCDC for + 13.6V / 5A for various systems in my boat, see attach file.

Comparison LiFePO4 batteries

Prismatic plastic housing Calculated
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Without
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .plastic. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Optimal. . . . . . .Max
Brand / Dist.. . . Color. . . . Ah .......Wh /Kg.. . . .Wh /Kg. . . .Ri mOhm. . . .Wh / l. . . discharge. . . . . discharge
Winston. . . . . . . Yellow. . .200 . . . .81 . . . . . . . .114. . . . . . . . .<0.4. . . . . . .36. . . . . . .0.5C. . . . . . . . . 3C. (Pulse 10C)
Sinopoly. . . . . . . Black . . . .200.. . . .110 . . . . . . .151. . . . . . . . .<0.4. . . . . . .58. . . . . . .0-3 C. . . . . . . . 3C

Prismatic aluminum with blue plastic
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Optimal. . . . . . .Max
Brand / Dist.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Color. . . . .Ah. . . Wh / Kg. . . . Ri mOhm. . . Wh / l. . . .discharge. . . . . .discharge
RJ Energy/ rj-lithium.com . . . .Blue. . . . 202. . . . . .157. . . . . . . .<0.5. . . . . . 107. . . . . . . . . 1C. . . . . . . . . 2C
ETC /BLS. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Blue. . . . 206. . . . . .164. . . . . . . .<0.4. . . . . . 106. . . . . . . . .0.5C. . . . . . . . .1C (Pulse 3C)

Thanks for the detailed info!
Regarding the price, I didn't get it: was it $146 for each 202Ah cell + $120 shipping? Or did I missed the math? :)

Isn't this a (very?) good deal? 187 $/kW for new LiFePo4 (RJ?) cells:

I live in Europe, where i find it difficult to source good used LiFePo4 batteries and, therefore, am considering buying new cells.
Trouble is, you can't trust what you're gonna get. If you're going to drop that kind of money, ask for a sample cell (it'll probably cost you 200 bucks including shipping) and then test it by running it through a few cycles.

You dont have to get fancy when testing either, just get a shunt based amp-hour meter and make a load out of 15 inch strands of .032 stainless safety wire and cheap 300A fuse/switch. One 15" strand is about 5 amps of load.

I made a pretty good temp 90 amp load out of 18 strands ran between two hot dipped galvanized bolts which I then bolted directly to the lugs of two battery cables and then dunked it in a 30 gallon plastic drum.
You can charge with a 100 or 150 watt 3.3v meanwell HRP series power supply adjusted to 3.65v you can get on ebay for about $40 or less. Take a look at some of my photos to see what I mean.

Trouble is, you can't trust what you're gonna get. If you're going to drop that kind of money, ask for a sample cell (it'll probably cost you 200 bucks including shipping) and then test it by running it through a few cycles.

You dont have to get fancy when testing either, just get a shunt based amp-hour meter and make a load out of 15 inch strands of .032 stainless safety wire and cheap 300A fuse/switch. One 15" strand is about 5 amps of load.

I made a pretty good temp 90 amp load out of 18 strands ran between two hot dipped galvanized bolts which I then bolted directly to the lugs of two battery cables and then dunked it in a 30 gallon plastic drum.
You can charge with a 100 or 150 watt 3.3v meanwell HRP series power supply adjusted to 3.65v you can get on ebay for about $40 or less. Take a look at some of my photos to see what I mean.

Compounding to your advice, after reading @gehowi's story/investigation (at https://www.diysolarforum.com/threa...oltage-difference-between-cells.818/post-9962) I was really thrown off to follow through with the purchase.

I would be buying 64 of these cells, to make a super sweet 16S4P 48V 31kWh battery. The price is great (around 5.800 $US) but don't want to end up with a 200 Kg bulging tik-tok-to-be-paperweight.

Deligreen has this super sweet offer on CATL 202Ah. What do you think?

Deligreen has this super sweet offer on CATL 202Ah. What do you think?
The specs are pretty good and thats one hell of a deal, so much so I wouldnt trust it. You could always ask them if they're A or B cells.

I would not trust any store on Alibaba that is under 5 years old. China vendors tend to piss off a large group of buyers and start new stores.

May I suggest that it might be useful to the solar power community as a whole if there were a place on this website where people could report... "I risked buying Product X from Company Y on Alibaba (or elsewhere) and received a good, solid product." Bad experience reports might conceivably cause problems, but who could complain about a section dedicated to 100% positive reviews? The way to defeat Alibaba fraud in the long run is to share data. Or, at least, it'd make an excellent start. It'd be good for everyone, including the legit Chinese companies that are suffering wrongly from lack of trust.

May I suggest that it might be useful to the solar power community as a whole if there were a place on this website where people could report... "I risked buying Product X from Company Y on Alibaba (or elsewhere) and received a good, solid product." Bad experience reports might conceivably cause problems, but who could complain about a section dedicated to 100% positive reviews? The way to defeat Alibaba fraud in the long run is to share data. Or, at least, it'd make an excellent start. It'd be good for everyone, including the legit Chinese companies that are suffering wrongly from lack of trust.

This would be fantastic. I'm getting ready to drop serious $$$ on alibaba and second-guessing myself. Planning on buying 65 of these in mid-December. Will probably split the order in 2 to hedge my bets. Planning on testing every single cell before putting it in commission. I will gladly post every single charge/discharge curve test here.

On that note, if anyone knows a better bang-for-the-buck cell tester than this, please let me know.

Last edited:

I want the good and the bad. Why would you want to limit it to only good reviews? That sounds exactly like what Alibaba already does! I trust bad reviews more than good ones...cause there are too many "these are great!" without any test data to back it up. If you get a good deal, say so. If you get screwed, say so! Either way, give us the true data so we can decide for ourselves. Otherwise it's all BS.

I want the good and the bad. Why would you want to limit it to only good reviews? That sounds exactly like what Alibaba already does! I trust bad reviews more than good ones...cause there are too many "these are great!" without any test data to back it up. If you get a good deal, say so. If you get screwed, say so! Either way, give us the true data so we can decide for ourselves. Otherwise it's all BS.

I'm just trying to keep things simple for the moderators. Someone posts a bad review, someone else-- perhaps from the company-- calls them a liar, much nastiness perhaps ensues. But this isn't my site and I'd be pleased to have the resource available either way.

I'm just trying to keep things simple for the moderators. Someone posts a bad review, someone else-- perhaps from the company-- calls them a liar, much nastiness perhaps ensues. But this isn't my site and I'd be pleased to have the resource available either way.

Are you new to the internet? ?

On that note, if anyone knows a better bang-for-the-buck cell tester than this, please let me know.
It'll work but at a 20A discharge and a 5A charge it'll literally take a day and a half to go through 1 test cycle. You can easily build a simple much higher capacity tester w/ a 60A charger and a 100A discharge on your own for about $100.00 but it won't have any over discharge protection.

Bring me the batteries and I'll plug them into my electric boat, we'll take a ride while monitoring the meters. Cost-nothing. :)

Money is much better spent on useful monitoring devices than testing rigs. And it will do the same thing. You can test any cells with a basic ammeter and any load you can apply.

Isn't this a (very?) good deal? 187 $/kW for new LiFePo4 (RJ?) cells:

I live in Europe, where i find it difficult to source good used LiFePo4 batteries and, therefore, am considering buying new cells.

I just placed an order for 16 pcs 150Ah cells. Curious to see how the tax/duty free shipping will work to Sweden.

Will be doing capacity tests on each when they arrive. If all goes well, I plan on ordering another 16 pcs and build a 2P16S pack to replace the 1P16S 60Ah CALB pack I currently have in my boat.

I just placed an order for 16 pcs 150Ah cells. Curious to see how the tax/duty free shipping will work to Sweden.

Will be doing capacity tests on each when they arrive. If all goes well, I plan on ordering another 16 pcs and build a 2P16S pack to replace the 1P16S 60Ah CALB pack I currently have in my boat.
How was your experience with CALB?

Hi Sajjen. Did you have to pay import duties importing to Sweden? I live in Ireland so I'd imagine it will be similar if so.

Back