diy solar

diy solar

Alibaba LiFePo4 batteries

I think our biggest problem is our bloated patent laws. We now have US/EU startups going to Shenzhen to build new products and sell them there. Only a tiny portion of the innovation there will reach the US.
[/QUOTE

..... and our patents don't do any good if they just steal the technology anyway.

and our patents don't do any good if they just steal the technology anyway.

The word "stealing" has never truly applied to IP law. The legal word is "infringe".

If someone steals your bike, you no longer have a bike, and they have a bike. But, if they create a copy of your bike, you still have your bike. They didn't steal your bike. They simply copied it.

The first step towards patent reform is to quit thinking of it as "stealing". If we keep holding onto that concept in the land of ideas and innovation, we'll horde ourselves into lonely poverty.

When I started programming in the 80s, I quickly discovered that whenever I thought of a new idea, there were 6 other people who thought of the same idea at the same time. No one is the first to think of anything.

New ideas are a dime a dozen. What takes a lot of work and skill is execution. Their model rewards the best executor of an idea. That is something we're good at, but don't give it a chance because we're too caught up in protecting our perceived ownership of an idea.

hafta chime in. Battery manufacturers are invading Europe with billion in hand, why ? because of EV's, Green RE Mandated, Climate Emergency declarations, even Big Oil & Gas in EU are buying into it large & funding expansion as well. North America is ruled by the Oilygopolies & Oilygarchs pushing fossil fuels and anti-EV legislations and Anti-Solar rules an folks like the Koch gang of misanthropes push millions into their Pro FF and Anti RE everything. Sure there are manufacturers in US & Canada but small in comparison and hesitant for good reason. Just look at the EV market alone, growing like nuts all over Europe, Asia and hell even in the middle east but NOT in good ol USA.... BTW I am TESLA LONG !

Look at the new GM Menlo WOW a Great Looking CUV / SUV with great specs... CHINA ONLY ! FCA ? EV'S ??? not ! Ford ? Partnered with VW for MEB and Rivian + for Truck Knowledge F150E coming as well as more. Where are the batteries ? "coming". Hell even the Australians have figured it out and are starting on major Lithium Extraction and building plants NOW and big buggers too !

I'm long AMZN and F, and hope their Rivian investment blows Tesla out of the water! :)

My best short was FB... got a 5000% return in one day. lol puts on earnings day. (sorry, was thinking FB not F cuz of AMZN and TSLA. Never traded F. Mostly trade SPX and its futures (/ES))

I dont think a battery full of 18650 small cells equates to four winston cells in terms of cycles. Many of the manufacturing videos I looked at had heaps of small cells being spot welded together. Too many joins and how good is that little cell? Is it going to do 5000 or just 2000 cycles. My lovely Soshine 18650 batteries are among the good ones and they only advertise 1000 cycles.
There is a group here in Australia of dozens of guys (rv folk) who have winstons cells. Some use them daily. They have had them for six years now and none of them have lost cells etc. The use a simple PWM plasmatronics solar controller that they program. Many have victron battery monitors that switch off the charging and then divert the power to a hot water system. They use latching relays. They run alarm cell loggers or relays to cut off power at about 20 percent. They run induction stoves and split cycle aircons and lots of other stuff.
Many of the winston cells that are 6 years old are way past 1000 cycles. I have no faith that people buying anything called "lithium or LIFEPO4" in a 12 volt box full of little cells will get the life and cycles of those who manage (balance , high and low cut off) winston or similar cells (calb). Just my opinion. These guys are expecting 80 percent performance after 15 years. I think they might make it. Some will die before their cells do.
The T1 Terry group?

Sure is grizzman - unfortunately T1 promised (I still have the email) that I could join the group and then it did not come good. I was sad and would have liked to have known the finer points of the latching relay and change over to hot water element. I think I have worked out most of the rest of it. I must agree that if you are not learning you are dying lol. Are you a part of the group? I must admit I learnt heaps from the Aussie caravan forum years ago. I am still a pwm plasmatronics fan too. I picked up a PL40 new and very cheap one on the cmca forum.

I PMed him over Junsi Celllogs. they have "dried" up and unfortunately, his system is based on that unit. He would not let me join his private group, but then again I'm in the USA. He hangs out in the ozervnews forum. (They let me be a member)

Last edited:
hafta chime in. Battery manufacturers are invading Europe with billion in hand, why ? because of EV's, Green RE Mandated, Climate Emergency declarations, even Big Oil & Gas in EU are buying into it large & funding expansion as well. North America is ruled by the Oilygopolies & Oilygarchs pushing fossil fuels and anti-EV legislations and Anti-Solar rules an folks like the Koch gang of misanthropes push millions into their Pro FF and Anti RE everything. Sure there are manufacturers in US & Canada but small in comparison and hesitant for good reason. Just look at the EV market alone, growing like nuts all over Europe, Asia and hell even in the middle east but NOT in good ol USA.... BTW I am TESLA LONG !

Look at the new GM Menlo WOW a Great Looking CUV / SUV with great specs... CHINA ONLY ! FCA ? EV'S ??? not ! Ford ? Partnered with VW for MEB and Rivian + for Truck Knowledge F150E coming as well as more. Where are the batteries ? "coming". Hell even the Australians have figured it out and are starting on major Lithium Extraction and building plants NOW and big buggers too !
The power grid here won't handle the demand of millions of vehicles plugging in.

I think that is exactly it...shipping. Going to cost 250% that price by the time it gets to your door.

Similar kind of price in a different configuration...

I purchased the lower one shown (100ah 12v) from Shenzen Delong last spring for 235 and around 125 shipping/customs (USD). I only bought one but shipping on additional batteries in one order would have been about 50 USD each. This was via Alibaba, and delivery to my home in Maryland was smooth. Initial tested capacity was slightly better than quoted specs. The terminal posts are very small, and I would not want to push the stated 100 amps for any amount of time, but this has not been an issue for my application. I mentioned this to the company rep, and was told that they could have built it with thicker posts if I had asked for a bit more money. In the video the wires leading to the post are also thin looking, but I have not opened it up to check these. I have only cycled it about 15 times so far but everything is fine to date

US $375.00 | Waterproof 12V 100AH 120Ah lithium ion battery 12V BMS with bluetooth for solar system electric boat RV solar panel+10A Charger

I saw these too seem like a good deal
Lithium ION (Li-ion LiCoO2)? No thanks

Last edited:
I have severe doubts about buying any premade battery packs direct from china even if it is a smoking deal, the cells might be okay but the rest is pretty much guaranteed to be crap inside unless you spend a lot more. Especially when its actually cheaper still (and easy) to buy individual cells and make your own packs. Finding alibaba vendor you can trust is difficult but if you filter for "verified supplier" it's a pretty safe bet.

Plain and simple its wildly cheaper to build in china due to wages. The problem here that doesnt get nearly enough focus is the extreme costs of living. Homes, apartments, and land are outrageously expensive, and artificially so, compared to china. A months rent for an average apartment costs a years salary or more in china. The only way to compete is bring costs way down.

Last edited:
I have severe doubts about buying any premade battery packs direct from china even if it is a smoking deal, the cells might be okay but the rest is pretty much guaranteed to be crap inside unless you spend a lot more. Especially when its actually cheaper still (and easy) to buy individual cells and make your own packs. Finding alibaba vendor you can trust is difficult but if you filter for "verified supplier" it's a pretty safe bet.
It would be pretty difficult to find cells for 100AH battery plus Bluetooth BMS to build your own for $375 including shipping.

It would be pretty difficult to find cells for 100AH battery plus Bluetooth BMS to build your own for $375 including shipping.
Well there are these for $50 a pop from a vendor I semi-trust, with shipping that'd bring you up to about $300, how much is a daly BMS?

Well there are these for $50 a pop from a vendor I semi-trust, with shipping that'd bring you up to about $300, how much is a daly BMS?
That BMS also has Bluetooth and paramaters for high and low temp cut off. I have that BMS in my battery.

Back