diy solar

diy solar

And the winner is...

Don B. Cilly

Energetic energy padawan
...the Victron SmartShunt.
For what? The Most Annoying Software/Hardware/Firmware combo of the 21st century. :·/

Hardware: decent construction, pathetic Bluetooth adapter. It's not just that it has a short range, it's totally temperamental even when showing 5 bars out of 5. (Cannot connect - takes multiple tries for it to do so).

Firmware: every few days, Cannot connect, Bluetooth is busy. You have to power it off and back on.
Which highlights the other firmware Feature: if you reboot it, it remembers everything except SOC. So you have to synchronise it to 100%, then guesstimate the SOC, and keep guesstimating it until you get it to a reasonable level... after which... it hangs again and you have to restart the process.

Software: the Trends section definitely needs revising, as does the Amnesia bit. :·/
-

Try the Thornwave PowerMon units. Affordable, flexible, fires stop/start relays, monitors two battery banks. Data saving, nice Bluetooth range. I've had one for a year – no problems at all.

I've had a chance to use the SmartShunt solo (i.e. where the only way to monitor it is by connecting to it directly over Bluetooth and using their VictronConnect app). Like the OP, I found the Bluetooth range limited compared to what I'm used to, although I haven't had any "Cannot connect/Bluetooth busy" problems. And the Trends part of the app seems pointless, ... it only trends data when the app is connected to the shunt. The shunt does not save any performance data on itself, so when the app isn't connect, you can't go back and view that data.

I've also had a chance to use it as part of a more traditional Victron setup, where there's a Victron monitoring device (like a Cerebo GX) that polls the other Victron devices (SmartShunt and a SmartSolar MPPT in my setup) and can present the data/trends on a display and/or upload the data to their free portal (VRM) where the data is saved and can be viewed from just about anywhere. Instead of using a "real" Cerebo GX, I installed Victron's VenusOS on an old Raspberry Pi 2 I had laying around... it acts like a Cerebo GX.

Same SmartShunt, two different experiences.

Seems to me that the SmartShunt was designed around the second experience. Not that it can't be used solo, but IMO some of the aggravations you may run into probably aren't going to be there when it's used as part of a bigger Victron install.

Try the Thornwave PowerMon units. Affordable, flexible, fires stop/start relays, monitors two battery banks. Data saving, nice Bluetooth range. I've had one for a year – no problems at all.

Only 60a limitation? Pretty low current limit.

That's only with the internal shunt - I use their 500amp external shunt.
They also have this:

The "Bluetooth busy" problems seem to be related to the PC app, not the phone one.
The phone one disconnects itself from the shunt as soon as it goes to sleep - every few seconds - so I guess the firmware doesn't have time to crash.
The PC app is much better - for me (I quite dislike pocket computers, I'd much rather have it as a window on my screen) and it also allows the "Trends" section to make some sense (it stays connected) - except the software for it is really badly written.

Venus OS. Now, really. That is the Complicating Simple Things Department of the Sirius Cybernetic Corporation trying to win the Aunt Mabel Award (If you aunt Mabel wasn't annoying enough, this will be ;·) You have to install a whole Operating System on a dedicated device (apparently there's no way to use it in a virtual machine because "it wants full control of the hardware") then... what? You have to send the data from the dedicated device to a remote server to see it? Instead of making a simple application that will just let you see it locally?

Honestly :rolleyes:
-

According to Victron web site "Note that on Windows, VictronConnect cannot use Bluetooth Smart to connect to a product. Other connection methods, such as USB, or LAN and WiFi do work properly." This may be the problem if you are using windows, then it will not work properly over bluetooth. My smart shunt and SCC works great over bluetooth to my spare android phone and tablet.

I don't use Windows (I use the Linux appimage :·)
I actively dislike Android devices.
It does connect via Bluetooth. It's just not very smart. :·/

[EDIT] See, on the PC app, the Trends section makes sense:

Screenshot_0203_025844.png

-

Last edited:
FWIW it seems @Horsefly is less satisfied with his powermon starting at post 21 here:

FWIW it seems @Horsefly is less satisfied with his powermon starting at post 21 here:

Yep. I'm here. I consider it something with lots of potential, but I spent about 5 month running it side-by-side with the Victron SmartShunt and the JBD BMS, and I had issues. I can elaborate if needed.

I understand @Don B. Cilly has become pretty frustrated with the Victron SmartShunt. I even agree with some of his issues. The range is horrible, and there are times it just will not connect. But what I want is an accurate SoC from it, and it does that.

Yep. I'm here. I consider it something with lots of potential, but I spent about 5 month running it side-by-side with the Victron SmartShunt and the JBD BMS, and I had issues. I can elaborate if needed.

I understand @Don B. Cilly has become pretty frustrated with the Victron SmartShunt. I even agree with some of his issues. The range is horrible, and there are times it just will not connect. But what I want is an accurate SoC from it, and it does that.
Haven't installed them as yet, but there are new firmware and software upgrades available. Perhaps that would address some of @Horsefly 's issues. I can only speak for myself when I say it has performed flawlessly.

Haven't installed them as yet, but there are new firmware and software upgrades available. Perhaps that would address some of @Horsefly 's issues. I can only speak for myself when I say it has performed flawlessly.
Nope. I installed the new firmware and app a week or two before I removed the PMon-5S from the system. I first re-zeroed the current reading, and then did some charge and discharge, with a couple of days of no charge/discharge (resting). The PMon-5S still showed a consistently lower SoC reading than the Victron or the JBD BMS, both of which were right in sync with each other. I have no idea why this is, but since the PMon-5S doesn't have anything you can set, I don't know what I can do. The Victron has the charge-to voltage, tail current, and charged time, and you can adjust both the efficiency and Peukert exponent. With the PMon-5S, you only get to say it is LiFePO4.

I don't hate the PowerMon-5S, so I hope no one thinks I do. I just wish it was a tiny bit more accurate on the SoC.

The data logging was always badly broken, but it looked mostly fixed in the new firmware and app.

Nope. I installed the new firmware and app a week or two before I removed the PMon-5S from the system. I first re-zeroed the current reading, and then did some charge and discharge, with a couple of days of no charge/discharge (resting). The PMon-5S still showed a consistently lower SoC reading than the Victron or the JBD BMS, both of which were right in sync with each other. I have no idea why this is, but since the PMon-5S doesn't have anything you can set, I don't know what I can do. The Victron has the charge-to voltage, tail current, and charged time, and you can adjust both the efficiency and Peukert exponent. With the PMon-5S, you only get to say it is LiFePO4.

I don't hate the PowerMon-5S, so I hope no one thinks I do. I just wish it was a tiny bit more accurate on the SoC.

The data logging was always badly broken, but it looked mostly fixed in the new firmware and app.

The new updates I referenced are four months and one week old.

FWIW, I always take state of charge (SOC) with a grain of salt. I set my baseline according to BMS readings and compare them to the accumulated AHs in the Charge Meter. Those shift over time - and if I feel they need adjustment I simply press "Force Battery Synchronization" to 100%. Handy for when I add a new battery or adjust my charging regimen. YMMV.

There is also a "calibrate current" adjustment which can enhance SOC accuracy.

I never have used the datalogging – my Conext/Schneider system has all the charts and graphs I could ever use - going back eight years.

Last edited:
[EDIT] See, on the PC app, the Trends section makes sense:

View attachment 82281

-
The Trends section there looks virtually identical to the iOS app. There’s an option in the iOS app to prevent the screen from going to sleep, BTW.

Hopefully they add the new firmware feature mentioned in the thread below that saves 45 days worth of trend data on the device itself so Trends works without having to leave an app running full-time on a different device.

I just ordered one of these...wish I had seen this first. What shunt were you using?

The new updates I referenced are four months and one week old.
Then we may be talking about different things. Razvan sent an email on 18-Jan which looked to be a form email to all PowerMon-5S owners. It was a major firmware upgrade which required downloading the new app, "PowerMon X". If there was one four months ago, I missed it.

After the upgrade I redid the current calibration and left it in the circuit with my Victron and the JBD BMS.

Back