diy solar

diy solar

Benchtop Power Supply for under $100.

You can look it up on youtube, videos on how to convert a power supply for use as a CC/CV psu are quite popular with many of the electronics channels. I don't recall the specifics, but when I got curious about it a while back, I remember seeing dozens of videos on it.

You can look it up on youtube, videos on how to convert a power supply for use as a CC/CV psu are quite popular with many of the electronics channels. I don't recall the specifics, but when I got curious about it a while back, I remember seeing dozens of videos on it.

YEP one of the guys out here watched a YouTube video and an hour later had taken a server power supply and some parts and made a 50A CC/CV -- sure not the prettiest in the world .. but gets the job done ...

Reactions: Dzl
With ATX P{ower supplies, there ae MANY Uoiutube videos and lot's of "Instructables" and more. There are many "kits" for ATX Breakout or you can build it manually with odds & sods. As for outputs, that would be limited by the PS so if it's 300W pedestrian PC or 1100W Heavy PS. There are also several "kits" that make use of MeanWell type Power Supplies as well... I personally have NOT played with any of these "kits".

Reactions: Dzl
I like the Riden 18A version, but I read that the power supply they sell with it is inadequate?
What would a comparable meanwell or similar power supply we can use?

The power supply they sell with it is 800W so you can do 12v or 24v stuff at 18A but not 36v or 48v. It can use any power supply that's 65v+, given a high enough wattage. But over 1000W PSUs probably won't fit in the housing they offer.

Riden 6018 - I looked up 1000w or 1200w Power Supplies and yikes, they are $$$,

Any one find a value 1200W 65V power supply?

I can buy the Riden 6018w without the PS and use with a beefier PS.

The Riden 6018w with factory PS comes to $180 ish

Wanptek - 60V 20A Bench Power Supply, I saw a review on youtube and found it on Ali,
It is not cheap, $230 ish total

Is it true that Riden is coming out with a beefier version, 25A version, any clue when it will come out?

A follow up on TekPower 15/40E which I just purchased and received before xmas. Which cost me $190 USD
PURCHASED ON AMAZON: Amazon.com: TekPower TP1540E DC Adjustable Switching Power Supply 15V 40A Digital Display

You get your power cord, 2 silicone wires without "clips or anything" and no plugged cords for the front.
A) it will NOT go to 40A, maximum is 30A
B) Voltage setting is REALLY PATHETIC ! Comparing what the display says to DVOM, the display is OFF by 1.2V SERIOUSLY !
C) Documentation ... This is Equally Pathetic...

With a great deal of furtling, I managed to get it to settle into what it thinks is 3.6V CV and the best I can squeeze is 29.5A
Note the Dial-In for the voltage is especially finickety as you have to spin it & spin it... it finds the voltage you want but "breath" on the dial and it changes... not kidding... it is NOT worth 1/5 the price they charge.

Lesson Learned: Even if it's a reasonable name brand that is known is no guarantee it'll be good... I guess this is the New Reality that is being foisted upon us...

So parallel charging 4x280's to 3.6-ish starting with 30A :-( Grrrrrr darn cells are at 3.2, this is gonna take a while...

I will update THIS post once done with results and IF it actually worked... meanwhile I will work at remaining calm, cool & collected until then, but if this thing screws up... well you good folks will know and SO WILL TekPower !
40A my arze... Maybe they dunno how to do their cypherin...

EDIT: 13:38hrs.
I sent an email to company... Holidays being what they are, likely won't hear anything for a bit.
I also posted a complaint on Amazon Feedback. "Return eligible through Jan 31, 2021"

Last edited:
A follow up on TekPower 15/40E which I just purchased and received before xmas. Which cost me $190 USD
PURCHASED ON AMAZON: Amazon.com: TekPower TP1540E DC Adjustable Switching Power Supply 15V 40A Digital Display

So parallel charging 4x280's to 3.6-ish starting with 30A :-( Grrrrrr darn cells are at 3.2, this is gonna take a while...

I will update THIS post once done with results and IF it actually worked... meanwhile I will work at remaining calm, cool & collected until then, but if this thing screws up... well you good folks will know and SO WILL TekPower !
40A my arze... Maybe they dunno how to do their cypherin...

EDIT: 13:38hrs.
I sent an email to company... Holidays being what they are, likely won't hear anything for a bit.
I also posted a complaint on Amazon Feedback. "Return eligible through Jan 31, 2021"
Oh man, I am sorry, keep us posted. Can you open up the case and laser gun the major components and see which one is overheating pls? It will be interesting to see that.

Ohh BOY what a Lovely Company TekPower is ... NOT
Please send it back to us in California, we'll evaluate it and ... all at my expense, which means another $60+ courier there & same to get it back.... for a $190.00 powersupply. Ohhh Yeah, gonna do that right away eh ! Smack Self with Brick ! (or LFP Cell LOL).

edit
As a RESULT: I will say AVOID TEKPOWER !
Turns out, they are an "Office" in California for a Chinese Company....

As a result, I would say be Cautious with TekPower.
After opening it and fixing it (loose connectors), it works but is still fiddly with settings. See post 91 below.

NOW: To find a Good Bench Supply with digital controls with 3 deciman places... Grrrrr I HATE WASTE especially MONEY !
Lucky for all of you I'm deeply rurtal, you don't get the Blue Air...
At least it let's me excercise my 5 languages....

Last edited:
I here ya. Did that with the load tester , and a bench power supply. I let Amazon do the talking.
The chinaman said he would only refund monies is I removed negative review.

NOW: To find a Good Bench Supply with digital controls with 3 decimal places... Grrrrr I HATE WASTE especially MONEY !
Lucky for all of you I'm deeply rural, you don't get the Blue Air...
At least it let's me exercise my 5 languages....
If you know a few medium to medium-high end models you are interested in, there are sometimes some pretty good deals on ebay (in the States, not sure how being located in rural Canada changes that)

Every month or two I passively search a few models I would jump on if a good enough deal comes around.

Another Update:
I decided to open it up, ok, a couple of loose connections, double checked it all. It's now working as it should more or less. The dial controls suck, and you really have to watch the output with a DMM/DVOM for the voltage.

At least I'm charging new individual cells up prior to topping them and it's working for that. Using new 280AH cells
I'll post back & edit this after it's done and starting on the next.

EDIT: Dec.29, 08:00 EST ish...
CellVolt StartCharge A. startCharge VoltsTimeEnd-ampEnd V @ terminalV after 1hr rest
C1 EVE 2803.3730.43.601:10 +/- .052.0 +/- 0.23.693.56
C2 " "3.3230.63.601:002.03.703.62
C3 " "3.3330.13.601:001.93.683.62
C4 " "3.3230.23.601:052.43.683.61

Bottom Line, the Tek Power TP15/40E is working even if finicky.
Back to your Regular Programming ;-)

Last edited:
Another Update:
I decided to open it up, ok, a couple of loose connections, double checked it all. It's now working as it should more or less. The dial controls suck, and you really have to watch the output with a DMM/DVOM for the voltage.

At least I'm charging new individual cells up prior to topping them and it's working for that. Using new 280AH cells
1st one went from 3.33 to 3.65 in 1 hour +/- a bit, wasn't actually timing it. So as I type this, it's doing another cell and it's dropped from 30A cc to 27.8A cv @ 3.61v.

I'll post back & edit this after it's done and starting on the next.
I watched a video where the tester found that the 3 pin rectifier diode on the heat sink overheated and died at near full amps/voltage.
The board seem to support 3 of these diodes in parallel,
He added a 2nd one and the PS worked flawlessly.

Good find, yeah , I have seen reports of connections being loose.

Here is my 60V PS pick list, please feel free to kick my nutz and school me:

1. Riden 6018w (bare ps, no case, no ps from Riden)
2. PS - NVVV has 1200w and a 1500w PS, they are mucho $$$,
Any other brand I can find with decent 60V20A switching PS?

Just grab an old powersupply from a router.

For the Riden, you don't need a 60V powersupply. You only need 60V if you want to be able to run up to 60V output.

If 40-45V is the maximum you're going to need, you can get a 48 or 50V powersupply. That limits the output voltage to approx 48V, but that will usually do

Some powersupplies can be internally adjusted, so a 48V supply can reach 50V in many cases, compensating for the Riden's drop, as far as I can see its only 1V, so if you can get a 49V supply, you can build a bench supply up to 48V

If you only need <40V, cheapest is an cisco Catalist powersupply. ($10)

That one provides 42V @ 20A. Along with the Riden 6018 you can get a cheap powersupply up to 40V output
Note: You need to modify it slightly to be powered on (Mostly just a simpe wire) and need to make your own connections (
)

Slightly larger is
That one provides both 12V @ 113A and 50V @ 28A Note: the 50V is -50, so you need to switch + and - to use it as a 'normal' 50V powersupply, but that will work

Smaller option is using 2 server powersupplies. That might even fit inside the Riden case. Serie-connecting them will give you 24V / 40-100A (depending on the model). Slightly increase the output voltage on both so you can compensate for the 1V Riden loss and you'll get a adjustable power supply up to 24V

Note: Riden has mentioned something about an RD6024 which is supposed to be released this year. (24A)
https://budgetlightforum.com/node/74564 (Riden Tech is an active user there)
Back in okt 2020:
Post #9: Looking forward to trying the RD6024 when they become available
Post #10: thank you, it should be released next year

Last edited:
Slightly increase the output voltage on both so you can compensate for the 1V Riden loss and you'll get a adjustable power supply up to 24V
Is this 1V drop something you have tested or seen tested?
I have been trying to to figure out how to interpret this spec from the datasheet:
Buck working mode: Voltage drop >1V and >10%
The and makes me think Vdrop from input to output would be 1V+[0.10 x input voltage]. But I'm not sure I am understanding it right.

Note: Riden has mentioned something about an RD6024 which is supposed to be released this year. (24A)
That is awesome! One good thing about being slow as molasses to start building/buying is new models come and go before I'm even ready to make a purchase :D

No, haven’t tested myself. I didn’t order the riden yet, will probably wait till the 6024 is released.
Also, still need to grab some nice powersupplies. I usually pick that kind of stuff at a local HAM Radio fair but last year’s was cancelled.
Still can get ones from Ebay, but unfortunately I can’t find those nice $10 bargains here in the Nederlands (or Europe in general, its more like 30 eur ex shipping)
I’m not in a hurry tho, so I’ll just keep looking on Marktplaats (dutch Craigslist/Gumtree kind of site)

might grab a nice POE switch, since they have pretty decent supplies as well (500+ Watt for a beefy 48 port... and 100mbit is cheap, so i’ll just grab its poeersupply and get rid of everthing else. Main advantage is they are smaller.

No, haven’t tested myself. I didn’t order the riden yet, will probably wait till the 6024 is released.
Also, still need to grab some nice powersupplies. I usually pick that kind of stuff at a local HAM Radio fair but last year’s was cancelled.
Still can get ones from Ebay, but unfortunately I can’t find those nice $10 bargains here in the Nederlands (or Europe in general, its more like 30 eur ex shipping)
I’m not in a hurry tho, so I’ll just keep looking on Marktplaats (dutch Craigslist/Gumtree kind of site)

might grab a nice POE switch, since they have pretty decent supplies as well (500+ Watt for a beefy 48 port... and 100mbit is cheap, so i’ll just grab its poeersupply and get rid of everthing else. Main advantage is they are smaller.

My current plan is to use the same power supply I will eventually use as an AC-DC charger for the assembled 24v pack (meanwell RSP-750 or RSP-1600). These have max output voltages of 30V and 33.5V respectively. This doesn't allow much margin if I want to use the Riden to test the assembled pack, but I would love to learn that it will work.

However, with all the cheap options you highlighted above, I might rethink my plan and just get a cheap dedicated PSU for the riden.

Back