diy solar

diy solar

Beware of Amazon's class t fuses

This is exactly what I ordered. But like you said, out of stock for another month.

I looked at mouser but donrowe makes it way easier.
I actually ordered a spare T fuse from Mouser on Mar 7 since they made it look like it was available but I am still waiting.. they claim next month as well. I had been getting updates and last month it was "in production".

Current connected has a good price on most of the class T fuses.

And my favorite style

What exactly does "ignition protection" mean on those blue seas fuses?
They enclose the fuse section in a little plastic section of the cover. The idea being that if operating in an explosive atmosphere, the blowing of the fuse may cause an ignition of that small enclosed space. The clips stop the cover flying off and a larger ignition of vapors.

Given that LFP cells can vent significant qtys of Hydrogen gas upon failure I would recommend the ignition protected versions.

They enclose the fuse section in a little plastic section of the cover. The idea being that if operating in an explosive atmosphere, the blowing of the fuse may cause an ignition of that small enclosed space. The clips stop the cover flying off and a larger ignition of vapors.

Given that LFP cells can vent significant qtys of Hydrogen gas upon failure I would recommend the ignition protected versions.
Unless it's air tight, not going to make a difference. Especially for me, where my fuse is inside my battery case.

It is actually. Didn't seem to be anything wrong with it.
Typical automotive battery starter cables are only built to handle high current loads for a few seconds or minutes at most. You will be better served with either welding cable with properly crimped on terminals or at least buy from a company that sells cables designed for inverter usage.

In some cases a T fuse wired directly ( SS bolts connecting cables to fuse with nothing between them) without holder would be preferable to a low quality holder.

I would agree with most here , copper to copper with NO-OX-ID A-Special
is best practice. Anything else is a nogo unless it is silver.

I like to squeeze a dollar until it yells uncle
So
I bought my blue sea class t fuse holders here.

And I bought my blue sea class t fuses from electricalhub as continuous resources didn't have the 250 amp fuses I wanted in stock.

I called both companies before ordering as it was my first time ordering from them and it was easy to get a human on the line and fast shipping.

I bought 5 of each so with shipping it was a good deal ,YMMV.

Last edited:
So I'm looking around this forum randomly and I read somewhere of someone using an IR camera to look for hotspots in their system. I though that's a great idea. I already have one of those. Let's see how everything is doing.

View attachment 221187

Oh hello. What have we here?

Well this isn't good.

View attachment 221188

I know what you're thinking. You're thinking I didn't tighten it down enough or I didn't crimp it correctly. But you would be wrong. The lugs are still torqued down and the wires won't come out with a decent amount of force.

View attachment 221193

Around the beginning of the year I got some cheap class t fuses from Amazon. I figured they were better than nothing while I was researching things. But now I think I would have been better off not including these.

The system was still functioning normally but obviously I can't just leave it like this so I shut it all down and remove all the melted things.

Then something odd happens which it's possible it's a coincidence, the MPPTs on the inverter stopped working. Also the inverter doesn't work unless I shutdown the batteries. On top of this the inverter is an SGP IP6048 so getting a replacement is going to be like pulling teeth. I'm probably better off fixing it myself.

I do have some reputable class t's coming in from donrowe.com.

Thanks for the heads up!!!

Last edited:
Unless it's air tight, not going to make a difference. Especially for me, where my fuse is inside my battery case.
I have both sizes, there is a tiny amount of captive air - the plastic completly surrounds the fuse. Unless the environment was explosive when the fuse was installed it is ignition safe, which means in an explosive hydrocarbon environment if it blows and a spark escapes the fuse itself it WILL NOT ignite the hydrocarbons in the air.

They are made by Littlefuse or bussman for Blue Sea.

Go read here and follow the links to see what the testing requirements are

Pictures of mine

Basically the bolt isn't designed to be a current carrying device, it's there to hold the fuse and lug surfaces together. The bolts have got so hot due to the high resistance that the entire plastic fuse holder seems to have melted away.
I see. Now it's making sense.

Reactions: D71
I would agree with most here , copper to copper with NO-OX-ID A-Special
is best practice. Anything else is a nogo unless it is silver.

I like to squeeze a dollar until it yells uncle
So
I bought my blue sea class t fuse holders here.

And I bought my blue sea class t fuses from electricalhub as continuous resources didn't have the 250 amp fuses I wanted in stock.

I called both companies before ordering as it was my first time ordering from them and it was easy to get a human on the line and fast shipping.

I bought 5 of each so with shipping it was a good deal ,YMMV.
A man of my own heart, “I save each penny I can, then order 5 extra for spares to save on shipping” 😂

late to this thread but..

I clicked on the amazon link, and at the top it says "last purchased April 1st, 2023"

yes, I have the same one in the same housing in my 24V system.

The PHEV is charging right now, which means 1400W AC are used, and about 60A flow through this class T.

I took my IR camera, but there's nothing warm except the inverter. Lowest temp in the photo is 68F, the inverter is at 87F.

My lugs are smaller, so I did not need any washers.

Another example of proper lugs, and being able to make your own custom cable/terminations are key.

late to this thread but..

I clicked on the amazon link, and at the top it says "last purchased April 1st, 2023"

yes, I have the same one in the same housing in my 24V system.

The PHEV is charging right now, which means 1400W AC are used, and about 60A flow through this class T.

I took my IR camera, but there's nothing warm except the inverter. Lowest temp in the photo is 68F, the inverter is at 87F.

My lugs are smaller, so I did not need any washers.

Can you tell who them manufacturer of the fuse is? from the numbers I can't find a current vs time curve chart for it specifically? I wanted to see if that matches the standard JLLN body style fuse. All I can read on the amazon ad is HFS21J for a part number and they didn't show the other side.

diy solar

diy solar
Back