diy solar

diy solar

Biting the bullet. Doubling my battery capacity $$$$$$

I would also doubt that those are UL listed.
But maybe, that's your point.
So, throwing out UL listing.
Your $8,800 for about 51kwh
My $8,000 for about 57kwh
And mine are delivered in 3 days.
The math still works in my favor. At least for my location. If you aren't in the US, of course it would be different.
I can't make the math work for $8,000 for 57kwh. How did you come up with that?

I would also doubt that those are UL listed.
But maybe, that's your point.
So, throwing out UL listing.
Your $8,800 for about 51kwh
My $8,000 for about 57kwh
And mine are delivered in 3 days.
The math still works in my favor. At least for my location. If you aren't in the US, of course it would be different.
Can you break don’t the prices? Cells, BMS, etc?
Did not say it is not cheaper to DIY. Just “it depends.” As not necessarily 2/3 the cost. With your numbers, about 27% cheaper. So that is the premium for the convenience of going with rack batteries. I also ended up with rack batteries that are UL, so I actually paid more than 1/3 over your built. But where I live, AHJ requires it. Would like to live where I could do everything permitless!

And build my own batteries.

Last edited:
Did not say it is not cheaper to DIY. Just “it depends.” As not necessarily 2/3 the cost.
Right
My calculations were based on locally sourced options. Money can definitely be saved. If you have the patience to wait for a shipment from China.

After tax credit.
how much of a tax credit are you getting per battery pack? I was looking at using the Ganfeng grade B 280ah cells at 18650 store. I figured i could make a pack with BMS for $2200 (im estimating tax) unless I'm missing something?

how much of a tax credit are you getting per battery pack? I was looking at using the Ganfeng grade B 280ah cells at 18650 store. I figured i could make a pack with BMS for $2200 (im estimating tax) unless I'm missing something?
Many (most?) state don’t charge sales tax for solar equipment. You can take off 30% for solar from your federal income taxes carried over up to 10 years. Installation cost too if you hire someone.

Many (most?) state don’t charge sales tax for solar equipment. You can take off 30% for solar from your federal income taxes carried over up to 10 years. Installation cost too if you hire someone.
I'm pretty sure you can include anything else related to the install such as wiring, panels, breakers, etc.

30%

There is an amazing sense of accomplishment when you build your first battery pack. Granted there is a little nervousness the first time you start your inverter. Once things are up and running you are hooked as you start to think of the possibilities. Especially when your better half sees what is possible.

Back