diy solar

diy solar

Buying Quantity Cells from Chinese Factory: EVE

vweb

Does anyone have any experience buying quantity cells directly from the Chinese factory. Any info is appreciated, but I am specifically interested in the purchase of a pallet(240 cells) from EVE. For example, how was shipping handled? For example, I assume they are packed cell wall to cell wall or else it would not fit on a pallet. Hence it seems prone to damage. (Maybe the secondary sources like Docan are worth their money just for the great packaging they always do?). What sort of discount did you get? How was the payment handled?

Thanks in advance,
VW

Screenshot_20230824-183424.jpg
Hope they improved the packaging for the full crates.
Check out 18650 battery store and ezelco if you're in the states.

I can say their non crate packaging has been adapted at least for their new welded terminal batteries. They now come with proper cut top foam and packed 4 to a box instead of six. This is part of a much newer order from EVE direct. I do not know if it was EVE USA or EVE China. This was not from EVEMall or EVE Alibaba.

IMG_20230816_094843_HDR.jpg

That looks good, even necessary, but I don't see how that allows them to fit 280 cells on a pallet. Maybe the problem is that I am thinking of a standard US defn of pallet?

That looks good, even necessary, but I don't see how that allows them to fit 280 cells on a pallet. Maybe the problem is that I am thinking of a standard US defn of pallet?
Pallets can be packed at least 3 different ways.

The first is boxes like that. You'll get something in the range of 8-12 of those boxes per layer on a standard 48"x40". And then they will layer 5-6 layers on a pallet. This will give you ~160-288 cells per pallet. I don't have a packing layout or full pallet to give you the exact number

An older packing guide from the EVE LF304 datasheet
Screenshot_20230825-092757~2.png

Pallet option two is a stack of single layer wooden crate pallets. They take a pallet sized crate with an integrated pallet on the bottom and fill it with pre-cut packing material. It's then filled with cells and a lid is put on. These crates can then can be stacked on top of each other to fit in one pallet location. These are normally smaller than an American pallet in dimensions as normally they come straight from China.

Stacks of EVE crate pallets from 18650 store
Z(4).jpg

Pallet option three is layers of molded foam containing cells. These are pallet sized layers of foam that get filled with cells and then layered on themselves. Somewhat newer packing then the others. I do not know if EVE sells them to regular customers like this but I have seen them in foam like this. I know Cornex gets 200 equivalent sized cells per pallet with this method

ETC 176ah cells in stacked foam from a grey market seller

3-2v-176ah-lifepo4-battery-cell.jpg

Avoid EVE store, its not the official store its a small company that uses there name, as soon as you get the invoice it will be there own little company. I would think you would want to contact https://www.evebattery.com/en and not go though Alibaba.

For large orders contact Luyuan and see what she can do. Also aside form 18650 and Ezeal, Sun Fun Kits is selling pallets directly form China pricing is about the same as from Luyuan / EVE direct actually it may be cheaper if you need 240 cells that's about 5 pallets.

But yeah, EVE official store is meh at best, mostly due to shipping issues and other problems.

Pallets can be packed at least 3 different ways.

The first is boxes like that. You'll get something in the range of 8-12 of those boxes per layer on a standard 48"x40". And then they will layer 5-6 layers on a pallet. This will give you ~160-288 cells per pallet. I don't have a packing layout or full pallet to give you the exact number

An older packing guide from the EVE LF304 datasheet
View attachment 164461

Pallet option two is a stack of single layer wooden crate pallets. They take a pallet sized crate with an integrated pallet on the bottom and fill it with pre-cut packing material. It's then filled with cells and a lid is put on. These crates can then can be stacked on top of each other to fit in one pallet location. These are normally smaller than an American pallet in dimensions as normally they come straight from China.

Stacks of EVE crate pallets from 18650 store
View attachment 164462

Pallet option three is layers of molded foam containing cells. These are pallet sized layers of foam that get filled with cells and then layered on themselves. Somewhat newer packing then the others. I do not know if EVE sells them to regular customers like this but I have seen them in foam like this. I know Cornex gets 200 equivalent sized cells per pallet with this method

ETC 176ah cells in stacked foam from a grey market seller

View attachment 164463
Thanks for being specific, and possibly correct. The bottom photo showing 5 rows of 10 176ah cells is particularly useful. I am getting 280ah cells so we can do 5 rows of 8. Given 6 layers we are at 240 cells--with foam support or the equivalent. Assuming no one is tossing a pallet of 240 cells around as they might do with a small package of 4 cells, I think they can be transported without any damage.

One of the challenges with transport is that unless you order a full container and have it shipped to your own warehouse, the container that "your" pallet(s) of cells comes in is either offloaded for customs inspection, or, if the container goes to a shipper's own warehouse, the contents are then offloaded and transported to you by truck. Each one of these steps involves moving the pallet(s) with a forklift. The more the pallet is moved, the more chance of damage. And the pallet is very heavy which exacerbates the problem and degree of damage. Amy at Luyuan is VERY experienced at getting cells transported without damage. She will probably pack a LOT of strong boxes with few cells each. While these boxes might be palletized for the ocean part, they will likely be broken down to the smaller, strong individual boxes at the shippers warehouse in CA before transport by ground to you. This involves fewer risky forklift operations. The idea being that you want your cells to arrive undamaged, rather than to have to deal with claims for damage. You might get a somewhat cheaper price if you accept more risk. But be aware the risk is real, not theoretical. Personally after my experience with Amy I would never try to save a few % by going to any other source, or having anyone else arrange transport. Just my opinion.

PS the real savings on transport costs comes when you order a container full, and it is delivered to your own warehouse ;-)

It all sounds like too much hassle to me.
I prefer to take the simplest approach. I just order my cells from 18650batterystore. And two days later , they are part of my system.

It only takes an hour to hook them up.
I can take a couple of hours to admire them, while unboxing.

You're more evolved. I look like this guy...

eye-contact-yes-baby.gif

Are matched cells important to you? Might be a reason to buy from 18650 and let them do the work. Probably get a qty discount.

One of the challenges with transport is that unless you order a full container and have it shipped to your own warehouse, the container that "your" pallet(s) of cells comes in is either offloaded for customs inspection, or, if the container goes to a shipper's own warehouse, the contents are then offloaded and transported to you by truck. Each one of these steps involves moving the pallet(s) with a forklift. The more the pallet is moved, the more chance of damage. And the pallet is very heavy which exacerbates the problem and degree of damage. Amy at Luyuan is VERY experienced at getting cells transported without damage. She will probably pack a LOT of strong boxes with few cells each. While these boxes might be palletized for the ocean part, they will likely be broken down to the smaller, strong individual boxes at the shippers warehouse in CA before transport by ground to you. This involves fewer risky forklift operations. The idea being that you want your cells to arrive undamaged, rather than to have to deal with claims for damage. You might get a somewhat cheaper price if you accept more risk. But be aware the risk is real, not theoretical. Personally after my experience with Amy I would never try to save a few % by going to any other source, or having anyone else arrange transport. Just my opinion.

PS the real savings on transport costs comes when you order a container full, and it is delivered to your own warehouse ;-)

Luyuan is an excellent choice if you don't have a local vendor in your area that sells grade A cells. If you have a local seller you would be better off going that route. At the end of the day, if you get damaged cells they can be retuned locally, but not if you need to have them sent back to China.

It seems that if I order a PALLET from EVE, I will receive that same PALLET at my door. You don't seem to agree?

Ok, so, if you want to buy larger quantities, remember the following:

- Unless you're talking a container full, it's small bits for EVE and they might or might not put care into the packaging, or care what happens to the product once it's out the door.
- You likely want to arrange (part of) the transport and insurance yourself to make sure it's all done correctly (read up on Incoterms)
- You really want to add some additional insurance when possible, including if you order this amount through a third party like Luyuan

Be prepared for things to go wrong, and know what to do when things go wrong. If you've never done international trade like this, import/export regulations, tariffs, and never herd the word 'Incoterms' before now - try to find a local source, even if at a higher cost or work with a third party to take some of the headaches away. Prices at local sources have come down a lot and availability become much better than a few years ago. I still order cells from China, but I also have started using local sources here in Europe.

It seems that if I order a PALLET from EVE, I will receive that same PALLET at my door. You don't seem to agree?

I'm quite certain EVE will only do EXW or FOB terms which means you need to find a local broker to clear the freight for you which means hefty broker fees and then final destination transport fees. Not sure if they do the DDP service which includes all fees and taxes paid and final delivery to you.

But I'll be impressed if EVE even goes through the order, they really seem set on sending a 20' or 40' container. I think that is like 1500 - 3000 cells.

I think that is what they are used to is sending full containers, they probably don't have all these shipping damages when it is sent via container. These damages you hear about tend to be from freight carriers / UPS or the people in the middle that cause issues.

Back