diy solar

diy solar

Can Solar & Wind Fix Everything (e.g., Climate Change) with a battery break-through?

After browsing this thread, I must ask if any one of you people ever actually studied climate science.

Several references to Florida under water by 2020, yet not a single reference to the source of that idea.

Several references to the effects of water vapor having been ignored by scientist yet not a single reference to any sources for that claim.

This is a classic example of the BS that infects the minds of people who only get their information from social media.

There are several books on the market that explain the science behind climate.

Example: https://open.umn.edu/opentextbooks/textbooks/860

You should at least read one prior to making comments on the issue.

@drDo2Much

We have done much more research that you would care to admit, and the numerous links posted here prove it. You however, chose to ignore anything that does not suit your preferred narrative.

Here we go again, just for you! Examples of this nonsense, complete made up garbage (i.e. cLIEmate crisis/change)

After all, we all know that climate change makes for shorter winters . . . except for when it makes for harsher winters.
And climate change means less snow . . . except for when climate change means more snow.
And climate change causes droughts in California and floods in Texas and Oklahoma, and generally makes wet places wetter and dry places drier, except when it makes wet places drier and dry places wetter.
And climate change causes more hurricanes at the same time as it causes fewer hurricanes.
Climate change causes more rain, but less water? . . . And less rain, but more water?
Climate change decreases the spread of malaria at the same time as it increases the spread of malaria. (But don’t worry! The Terminator himself advises us not to listen to those climate change cynics, hey guys?)
Climate change makes San Francisco foggier.
Climate change makes San Francisco less foggy.
Climate change causes duller autumn leaves.
Climate changes causes more colourful autumn leaves.
Climate change makes for less salty seas.
Climate change makes for saltier seas.
Climate change causes the polar ice caps to melt.
Climate change causes the polar ice caps to freeze.
Climate change makes the earth hotter, unless the earth isn’t getting hotter, in which case climate change can explain that, too!

What’s the problem here? This sounds like the perfect scientific theory. It can explain literally everything, including self-contradictory things! This means it’s absolutely perfect, isn’t it?

Well, no, not according to Karl Popper and the philosophers of science.

And within the philosophy of science, there’s something called the demarcation problem. How do you differentiate science from pseudoscience?

If you’re at all interested in this, I would suggest you read through Karl Popper’s Conjectures and Refutations, in which he lays out his criterion for differentiating science and pseudoscience, namely falsification.

@drDo2Much

We have done much more research that you would care to admit, and the numerous links posted here prove it. You however, chose to ignore anything that does not suit your preferred narrative.

Here we go again, just for you! Examples of this nonsense, complete made up garbage (i.e. cLIEmate crisis/change)

After all, we all know that climate change makes for shorter winters . . . except for when it makes for harsher winters.
And climate change means less snow . . . except for when climate change means more snow.
And climate change causes droughts in California and floods in Texas and Oklahoma, and generally makes wet places wetter and dry places drier, except when it makes wet places drier and dry places wetter.
And climate change causes more hurricanes at the same time as it causes fewer hurricanes.
Climate change causes more rain, but less water? . . . And less rain, but more water?
Climate change decreases the spread of malaria at the same time as it increases the spread of malaria. (But don’t worry! The Terminator himself advises us not to listen to those climate change cynics, hey guys?)
Climate change makes San Francisco foggier.
Climate change makes San Francisco less foggy.
Climate change causes duller autumn leaves.
Climate changes causes more colourful autumn leaves.
Climate change makes for less salty seas.
Climate change makes for saltier seas.
Climate change causes the polar ice caps to melt.
Climate change causes the polar ice caps to freeze.
Climate change makes the earth hotter, unless the earth isn’t getting hotter, in which case climate change can explain that, too!

What’s the problem here? This sounds like the perfect scientific theory. It can explain literally everything, including self-contradictory things! This means it’s absolutely perfect, isn’t it?

Well, no, not according to Karl Popper and the philosophers of science.

And within the philosophy of science, there’s something called the demarcation problem. How do you differentiate science from pseudoscience?

If you’re at all interested in this, I would suggest you read through Karl Popper’s Conjectures and Refutations, in which he lays out his criterion for differentiating science and pseudoscience, namely falsification.

Doctor does Dildos is yet another Murphyguy account.

It didn't even waste time pretending to be here for solar stuff by making at least one post in the technical part of the forum first. 🤣

Tommy, you stated that you didn’t believe in the holocaust
D71, that is my fault for the misunderstanding.

I said this: I think it's possible the holocaust never happened
because WW2 was 12 years before I was born I can only go by the information I have
so IMO it is possible, but I don't believe it, if I did I would have said IMO holocaust never happened or holocaust never happened

just like aenyc thinks that man Climate change is a hoax, I could say it's possible he is right, I don't believe it
but it's possible, the only difference between me and him is his line, end of story (that confuses me).
I've spent the last 38 years working on Manufacturing Machines controls , not earth sciences.

Last edited:
dropping nukes on japan probably was not necessary either but we wanted to tast the sciene
D71, not how I think of it, Saipan cost 3500 of our sons and fathers, guma 1700, Philippines 32000, northern mariana islands 3500.
if I had to make that call, I would have because putting our sons and fathers on japan itself would have been very bad.

Most articles list EVs as anywhere between two and three times more energy efficient than the ICEs they replace.

The basis for this claim is that internal combustion engines are only 40% efficient and that nearly 60% of the energy contained in gasoline or diesel fuel is “wasted,” –mainly in the form of heat and friction. On the other hand, an electric motor transfers nearly 90% of its electrical energy directly to the wheels. The difference leads many to erroneously conclude that an EV is almost three times as “efficient” as an ICE.

This common argument is fundamentally flawed for three reasons.

First, it fails to capture the energy needed to make the battery;
second, it fails to distinguish between thermal and electric energy;
and third, it fails to account for the poor energy efficiency of renewable energy.
An EV uses 32 kWh of electricity per 100 miles traveled. The vehicle’s battery, meanwhile, consumes an incredible 24 MWh in its manufacturing. Assuming a useful life of 120,000 miles, the battery pack consumes 20 kWh per 100 miles traveled, two-thirds as much as the direct electricity itself. Most analysts we have read fail to include this onerous energy burden when touting the EV’s superior efficiency.

Next, most efficiency arguments fail to distinguish between thermal and electrical energy.

While most of us have been taught that energy is fungible, several distinct forms of energy have differing degrees of usefulness. Although it is beyond the scope of this essay, the distinction surrounds the randomness, or entropy, of the energy carrier. The more entropic an energy source, the less useful work it can perform. Burning fuels of any kind always has high entropy. Electricity, on the other hand, with its orderly string of moving electrons, has extremely low entropy. Upgrading from thermal to electric energy always introduces predictable inefficiencies based on the fundamental laws of thermodynamics.

When pundits claim an EV is three times more efficient than an ICE, they fail to make this distinction.
In a combustion engine, the driver converts gasoline (high entropy) into forward motion with approximately 40% efficiency. Electricity (low entropy) drives a motor with approximately 90% efficiency in an electric vehicle. However, electricity does not exist in nature but instead must be generated. Burning natural gas (high entropy) to generate electricity (low entropy) is only 40-50% efficient. The EV is not inherently more efficient; instead, the inefficient “upgrade” from thermal to electric energy occurs off-stage and is conveniently omitted by most analysts.

Last, most efficiency arguments fail to account for energy generation in the first place.

For example, as we saw with Norway, the only way to lower automotive carbon emissions is by converting to renewable energy for both the manufacturing and powering of the vehicle. Unfortunately, renewable power is prohibitively inefficient. This may be surprising. After all, neither wind nor solar “burn” fuel, and so are not subjected to the inefficiency of moving from thermal to electric energy discussed earlier. However, wind and solar suffer from incredibly low energy density (consider the heat from a gas stove compared to a stiff breeze). To capture useful quantities of power, windmills must stand 300 m tall, and solar farms must spread out over thousands of acres. These large installations require raw materials like steel, cement, copper, silver, and polysilicon. These materials, in turn, consume vast quantities of energy to both mine and process. By comparison, oil and gas extraction is highly efficient.

We study the total energy required to produce various forms of energy, a metric known as energy return on investment (EROI). While a single unit of invested energy might generate fifty units of (thermal) energy over the life of a productive oil well, it will only generate ten units of (electrical) energy with wind or less than six from a solar panel. Furthermore, wind and solar power must be buffered by grid-level battery storage to avoid intermittency, which requires far more energy. Fully buffered wind likely has an EROI of six to seven, while solar may be as low as three. Claiming a renewable-powered EV is efficient because its motor operates at 90% fails to account for the poor upstream efficiency.

instead, we have taken a completely different approach when calculating automotive efficiency: assuming 100 kWh of available thermal energy, how far can a driver expect to travel in an ICE compared with an EV. We prefer this methodology, as it aligns with our intuitive understanding of “efficiency:”: how much can we get out of a single unit of energy. Using this approach, the race isn’t even close --the ICE wins “hands down.”

An efficient ICE can expect to achieve 37 miles per gallon of gasoline or 98 kWh of thermal energy per 100 miles. The vehicle components require 20 MWh, or 15 kWh per 100 miles, when amortized over a useful life of 170,000 miles—according to Argon Labs. The ICE can expect to consume 112 kWh per 100 miles, of which 90% represents thermal energy in the form of gasoline. Oil extraction benefits from a very high EROI of 60:1 at the wellhead. In other words, 60 units of thermal energy, in the form of crude, comes up the wellbore for every unit of energy invested. Transportation and refining consume approximately 15% of the energy contained in the crude, lowering the EROI to 50. To be conservative, we are assuming an ultimate EROI of 45. Therefore, investing one kWh of thermal energy will create 45 kWh of thermal energy, propelling the ICE 41 miles.

A modern EV consumes 32 kWh of direct electrical energy per 100 miles. The battery requires an additional 24 MWh, which over the vehicle’s useful life of 120,000 miles equals 20 kWh per 100 miles. The remaining vehicle components consume 27 kWh per 100 miles. The EV can expect to consume 80 kWh per 100 miles, of which 95% is electricity.

Assuming the electricity is generated in a natural gas-fired power plant, the EROI is approximately 25 once transmission line losses are considered. Starting again with one kWh of thermal energy, we would expect to generate 25 kWh of electricity. The EV would, therefore, travel 32 miles – 20% less than the ICE. If electricity is generated using a mixture of unbuffered wind and solar, the EROI could be as low as 13. Therefore, one kWh of energy would only generate 13 kWh of electricity, propelling the EV a mere 16 miles – over 60% less than the ICE.

Never in history has a less efficient “prime mover” displaced a more efficient one. We believe this time will be no different. While governments may try to coerce drivers into buying EVs or even ban ICE altogether, these policies will ultimately fail as consumers insist on keeping their more efficient vehicles. A new battery breakthrough would help make EVs more energy efficient, and we are studying the space very closely. In particular, we are impressed with the work being done by the team at PureLithium, in which we have made a small private investment. However, we cannot identify any battery technology that would materially change this analysis. Until then, we expect internal combustion engines will continue to dominate, and EV penetration will disappoint.

Watch what they do! Not what they say!!! LOL

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg, an outspoken climate alarmist, has a new $300 million mega yacht dubbed "Launchpad." The billionaire's 'big boy' toy collection continues to expand, which already includes a Gulfstream G650 private jet.

SuperYacht Times said the yacht is powered by "4 MTU engines, which give her a top speed of 24 kn." This means that large-displacement diesel engines power the yacht—an inconvenient truth for the woke billionaire who promotes climate change initiatives.

And there's this.

EXCLUSIVE: Mark Zuckerberg's $300 Million Yacht Docked in Fort Lauderdale Flying Marshall Islands Flag in Attempt to Avoid Paying US Taxes https://t.co/SmTJFrW4Db
— Laura Loomer (@LauraLoomer) March 25, 2024

Bloomberg data shows the new 287-foot vessel arrived at Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, last Monday and has been moored ever since. The vessel departed from the Netherlands, where its well-known yacht builder, Feadship, is based, on February 29.

Besides the diesel-powered mega yacht, Zuckerberg's jet, a Gulfstream G650, has been all over the world and produces a massive carbon footprint compared to the average US household carbon footprint.
The working poor are starting to wake up to the billionaires who push climate garbage initiatives that force them to buy costly electric vehicles, ban gas stoves, and replace meat with insects and plant-based foods while Zuck and other billionaires sail around the world in mega-yachts and fly around in private jets.
These woke billionaires are being revealed as hypocrites. The veil is being lifted...

electricity does not exist in nature but instead must be generated.
aenyc, :oops: humorous sidebar

Lightning is a frequent occurrence worldwide with an estimated 50 occurrences per second and 20% of those resulting in ground strikes. It is impossible to know exactly, but it is estimated that worldwide there are approximately 24,000 fatalities with ten times as many injuries annually due to lighting. Most of these incidents are avoidable.

Special organs in the eel's body release powerful electric charges of up to 650 volts—that's more than five times the power of a standard United States wall socket.

*changing gears

you posted this.
Capture360.PNG

Capture359.PNG

while there are other pressures keeping all california costs higher, will be interesting to see the impact on
the electrical costs once they catch up with other states.

Capture361.PNG

aenyc, all the data I can find points to you screaming at the sky.

svetz thanks for the topic, I now feel better about the future prospects for my great, great ,grandkids.

Last edited:
@TommySr you again present strawman's argument.

If you bother to read links posted in the thread (not just the ones posted by svetz) you will see an overwhelming amount of data that shows "renewables" are a non-starter due to their intermittent nature, very high costs, as well as amount of toxic pollution generated when components necessery for renewables are made (this elephant in the room is always ignored because it does not suite the narrative. Toxic waste is not a problem for these pundits, CO2 is, which is laughable of course but with the amount of lies told with serious face by official sources lately not surprising)

Either way more of what they will attempt to do if people allow internet connected devices

Smart Meter Customers Face Paying More at Busy Times to Help Meet Demand of Net Zero​

Millions of households with smart meters face paying more for their electricity at the busiest times of day under regulator plans. The Telegraph has more.

Ofgem is consulting on introducing a “dynamic” energy price cap to meet the demand of Net Zero, despite repeated assurances from the Government that smart meter technology would not result in more expensive energy bills for consumers.
The energy watchdog said it would look to “encourage consumer flexibility” by basing the energy price cap around the wholesale costs of electricity throughout the day.
The plans include allowing suppliers to charge more for electricity when the grid is at its busiest, as Britons move away from conventional gas boilers and adopt electric-powered heat pumps and electric vehicles.
Proposals would scrap the energy price cap – currently £1,690 a year – and effectively switch the entire country to a 1970s-style “time-of-use” tariff that charges different prices throughout the day.
This would either be introduced in weekly “time bands” that are divided into more expensive peak and cheaper off-peak periods, or linked directly to half-hourly wholesale market prices.
Ofgem admitted the latter proposal would risk “exposing customers to wholesale price variability” and that “many consumers may struggle to engage with constantly evolving pricing”.
Of particular concern is the effect on energy bills of those using medical equipment. The regulator said it was considering exemptions for those relying on power for such equipment, as well as for millions of electric drivers who charge their cars overnight.
Consumers would be given incentives to take advantage of lower prices and avoid using electricity when costs go up in both scenarios.
Experts warned against the effects of surge pricing on vulnerable groups such as the elderly who typically have the heating on for more time during the day.
Worth reading in full.

And btw, the chart you posted is science fiction lol. Even according to the official sources, US "renewable" generration is just 20%, likely exaggerated like all govt statistics. Are you another shill tommysr? Starting to look more and more like it.

Whats worse, states that are heavily invested into "renwables" have the highest prices and most blackouts and brownouts. (this is with 20%, imagine if its 50%? 90%? We will all be without power most of the time (which is what they want dont they? The philatnropaths will ofcourse be exempt with their diesel megayachts and sea coast mansions right? RIGHT?)

1711463100085.png

Last edited:
One more time, to dispute the BS chart posted by TommySr

Solar at 3.9%
Wind at 10.2%

1711463375489.png

One more time, to dispute the BS chart posted by TommySr
aenyc, IMO the chart I posted talked about new production, not production totals. I'll go back and look.

Capture362.PNG

gives me a warm&fuzzy about our future.

Last edited:
Stop posting BS. This chart i posted is recent as of Feb 2024.

Solar 3%
Wind 10%

End of story! You posted clear BS (Solar at 58% and Battery Storage at 23%??? WTF is that? Stuff made up on the fly? Even if this was true, these batteries are supertoxic to make, have very short lifespan and can not really be recycled! LOL)

aenyc, that's a job for our grandkids, ours's was to get the ball rolling in the right direct.

our endgame is there is no end to the story.
Tommy do you understand why ppl have you on ignore?

aenyc, that's a job for our grandkids, ours's was to get the ball rolling in the right direct.

our endgame is there is no end to the story.

You dont get it do you?
Solar/Wind/Battery tech is EXTREMELY toxic to our actual environment. As in real chemical and environmental pollution! Not some CO2 bogeyman!
It is also totally insufficient for our electrical needs as shown time and again!
Solar is complementary tech at best , while Wind is a complete waste of resources.

Do you know how to do research, or do you need this chewn for you?

Tommy do you understand why ppl have you on ignore?
D71, I do get that, and because I now see a trend towards fixing this issue, I can move on, thanks everyone.

in the 60's and 70's the best we could do to power our missiles was with chemical batteries that generated tremendous
heat and could only supply the power needed for seconds ,today we can do much better.

Last edited:
Back