diy solar

diy solar

Can someone loan me a shotgun so I can shoot the Victron Multiplus II?

I had no issues programming my single multiplus through the VRM via cerbo. There a few exceptions to you can do program with this method, but a single multiplus should do everything you need. The YouTube video was helpful.

-Download Ve config on PC computer.
-Enter VRM , select device list and click remote reconfigure
- open Ve config and load the download file
- makes changes and save the file
- upload to VRM and it will load it into the multiplus

So not to be picky and thanks for the info but, can I not do this on an android or linux box? I will need to setup a winblowz virtual machine on linux which is another 2 hrs work. At this point I do not see why anyone should spend 350 on a cerbo. Pretty much useless! Sorry I bought it.

So without the whatchamajig usb-dongle-mk3 thing I cannot do this on android or linux? OK I will get started on the VM/wonblowz thing. Just nuts how hard they make this!

I’m not a tech or geek freak in anyway about computers…but I got a MK 3 adaptor for my multi 24/3000…and it allows access to everything there is ( I think)…. very intuitive operation.... hooks to a windows laptop ..I check it for firmware updates now and then or change somthing here and there but pretty much dont mess with it once it’s running good..

I would disagree with this.

My first system has just been completed. 100% Victron (except sok battery) and I was able to set it up.

I consider myself kinda on the dumb side so I did me homework, lots of reading and questions here.
By all means feel free to walk the OP through a successful resolution and prove yourself correct.

I guess there were some features / options in it that I never managed to stumble on (or need).
I get the impression from Victron that there are all kinds of hidden goodies in there, and that they are reluctant to move everything over to victron Connect because they are afraid they will miss something and cause big problems.

Just an impression from some Victron posts on Victron community, nothing more.

I’m not a tech or geek freak in anyway about computers…but I got a MK 3 adaptor for my multi 24/3000…and it allows access to everything there is ( I think)…. very intuitive operation.... hooks to a windows laptop ..I check it for firmware updates now and then or change somthing here and there but pretty much dont mess with it once it’s running good..
Ill trade you a cerbo for that cable. They told me the cerbo would allow me to connect to all the devices. So I wasted 350 bucks.

And when I ordered the multiplus 2 from SS they never told me I needed yet another crappy cable to program my mp2.

Not all, but most of the ones people care about.
You can’t setup split phase or parallel units (last time I checked).
You can’t add or configure any assistants.
Your right … there’s some things you need a MK adaptor for certain adjustments and tweaks…BUT, there may be ways to use some of the newer gear that one can buy that I don’t know about…

but a MK is so simple …it’s only about 75 bucks… why would anyone not have one considering how much all the other stuff around it costs… maybe even for a back up in case ya lose use of a piece the fancy gear..

Ill trade you a cerbo for that cable. They told me the cerbo would allow me to connect to all the devices. So I wasted 350 bucks.

And when I ordered the multiplus 2 from SS they never told me I needed yet another crappy cable to program my mp2.
Cerbo runs the show, sends data to VRM, manages the mppts so they do not overcharge the battery, talk to the BMS if there is one, shows power flowing in real time, etc.

Cerbo runs the show, sends data to VRM, manages the mppts so they do not overcharge the battery, talk to the BMS if there is one, shows power flowing in real time, etc.
How does it manage the mppt? Dont the mppt settings manage that? I have had my cerbo unplugged for months and my mppt is working just fine.

He he he … nope…I’m a KISS type guy…I actually have two of them…I like redundancy..

When I bought mine from a place in Arizona no one ever mentioned I would need one or should have it programmed or anything…( I knew nothing at that point) … when I found out how much it cost to ship it back and pay to have It programmed in said hell no……
..I will just do it my self , ordered a MK from another place and set out to do it myself… with some help I did… now it’s natural as rain… really wasn’t much too it..
I’m better off having had to do it the hard way…once ya know it you don’t have to depend on sales people anymore…

J.

So not to be picky and thanks for the info but, can I not do this on an android or linux box? I will need to setup a winblowz virtual machine on linux which is another 2 hrs work. At this point I do not see why anyone should spend 350 on a cerbo. Pretty much useless! Sorry I bought it.

So without the whatchamajig usb-dongle-mk3 thing I cannot do this on android or linux? OK I will get started on the VM/wonblowz thing. Just nuts how hard they make this!
I thought I saw someone mention doing it on Linux, but it cant be done on android or chrome ( I just tried)
if you can get he VEconfig software on the Linux box the rest can work.

I had no issues programming my single multiplus through the VRM via cerbo. There a few exceptions to you can do program with this method, but a single multiplus should do everything you need. The YouTube video was helpful.

-Download Ve config on PC computer.
-Enter VRM , select device list and click remote reconfigure
- open Ve config and load the download file
- makes changes and save the file
- upload to VRM and it will load it into the multiplus

OK so this was semi-helpful. BUT there is a lot of missing info.

-Download Ve config on PC computer ****(and install it) (also download and install victron connect MISSING)
-Enter VRM , select device list and click remote reconfigure ****(device list was not showing up) (finally got it)
- open Ve config and load the download file *******(how??? there is no FILE OPEN menu) (finally right clicked download file and picked open with to get it to load file)
- makes changes and save the file *******(make changes, to what? AND if you save file it is the wrong format to upload)
- upload to VRM and it will load it into the multiplus (took 30 minutes to find where that button was located! ERROR can only upload one file at a time, wrong format!)

So mission nothing accomplished. I hate this antiquated garbage! Why on Gods green earth do they make it so stupid retarded??????

OH HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!

Finally after 4 hours I got it to work. The first file I downloaded was corrupt and refused to upload. I finally downloaded another and it worked OK and I was able to upload without issue. Here is the TUBE I followed that got me there.

Only 4 hours? 😁

You can have a victron bluetooth connect it

People forget one thing
Most stuf are beult for marine pro use .
That is the start of Victron really .
Than a lot of stuf had a basic for lead battery.
But after some update you can use if for all stuf.

Normal if you use it for marine you have a compleet systeem setup.
And its even connect with the board systeem of a boat .
Later stuf come speciale for cars and small boats
Later it come for solar systeem .

Really its ts that just go for it and not look into its of its use for what you like to do

Victron even support Raspberry Pi.

Its your Setup running than you have a systeem that is so great that you can see what all stuf you connect on it

For the rest that cerbo gx is for a boat or car not for a home systeem .
That is the cerbo-s gx systeem (cheap unit)

OK so this was semi-helpful. BUT there is a lot of missing info.

-Download Ve config on PC computer ****(and install it) (also download and install victron connect MISSING)
-Enter VRM , select device list and click remote reconfigure ****(device list was not showing up) (finally got it)
- open Ve config and load the download file *******(how??? there is no FILE OPEN menu) (finally right clicked download file and picked open with to get it to load file)
- makes changes and save the file *******(make changes, to what? AND if you save file it is the wrong format to upload)
- upload to VRM and it will load it into the multiplus (took 30 minutes to find where that button was located! ERROR can only upload one file at a time, wrong format!)

So mission nothing accomplished. I hate this antiquated garbage! Why on Gods green earth do they make it so stupid retarded??????
I linked to the victron instruction page and that included the youtube video in it, knowing that I wouldn't be able to relay off the instructions perfectly

It is a definitely clunky

Does your multiplus function? Why are trying to access settings and what did you plan on changing? Is your multiplus not doing something that you want it too?

Confused about how you final got I there and didn't make make any changes?

For example, I adjusted the following settings, for my particular set up. excuse me if it isn't word for word from Ve config
-Battery float, absorb and bulk settings for my batteries
-selected the weak AC input and wide frequency input for easier generator connections
-enabled battery monitor
-set it to shut down at 20% state of charge remaining so I still have power for my DC loads

ARE YOU KIDDING ME????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Stupid idiot engineer failure #1 NO FLIPPING BLUETOOTH! Seriously ? WTH? WHY????????????? What century are we living in?
Stupid idiot engineer failure #2 Need special cable to connect and special device to do it on.
Stupid idiot engineer failure #3 Cant login through Cerbo (that I spent $350 on) and program or look at settings.
Stupid idiot engineer failure #4 Need to connect through some magical special cable and DOWNLOAD the settings.
Stupid idiot engineer failure #5 After downloading the setting you need to have YET MORE SPECIAL SOFTWARE to edit the settings.
Stupid idiot engineer failure #6 After editing your downloaded special file on your special software you have to save and then upload the the file back up to change settings.
Stupid idiot engineer failure #7 All of the above is NOT in the WORST MANUAL I HAVE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE, its only online and found after extensive searching and reading multiple pages not one source.
Stupid idiot engineer failure #8 The manual, where to start, its horrible and offers zero information, zero wiring diagrams, zero anything.

I will stop there, but I could list a dozen more things I hate about this device and manual. ARGHHHHHHHH!
I am not sure why you can't get the bluetooth dongle and then just use the bluetooth app on your phone to program the multiplus.

I am not sure why you can't get the bluetooth dongle and then just use the bluetooth app on your phone to program the multiplus.
The bluetooth dongle is for monitoring ... though it does allow turning on/off the inverter and charging. You need the MK3-USB for programming.

The bluetooth dongle is for monitoring ... though it does allow turning on/off the inverter and charging. You need the MK3-USB for programming.
Wow that really sucks that they limited the functionality of the bluetooth app. I really wonder why they would do that. That just lowered my opinion of Victron.

diy solar

diy solar
Back