diy solar

diy solar

CATL 271Ah cell issues.

same boat, my CATL 271AH came in yesterday in the same shape (however not leaking). To be fair they never had a chance with that level of packaging. did you notice any of them swollen?
Yes, a few looked bigger then the others.

@Brewman wondering if you retitled this thread in such a way all of us with catl shipping issues could post here to keep a running record of the issue and solutions.

It would be nice if we can determine the seller for the title to warn others not to buy from them direct

@Brewman wondering if you retitled this thread in such a way all of us with catl shipping issues could post here to keep a running record of the issue and solutions.

It would be nice if we can determine the seller for the title to warn others not to buy from them direct
I will if I can.

I got in a very small water accumulator the other day thats built like a tank.... Thankfully built so tough. The box looked like they had parked a car on top of it... The foam had been so impacted it had molded to the very small tank...

I received my shipment of 4 CATL 271AH cells last week via UPS. Not real happy about the way they arrived either.
Not as bad as Brewman's however....

Attachments

• IMG_1453.jpg
    IMG_1453.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_1454.jpg
    IMG_1454.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 169
Those look beat, busted and swollen.
Are those from Michael? If so, that makes two bad shipments I have seen. Not sure whats up with his suppliers QA and packaging, and giving me second thoughts. Has anyone heard from him?

I ordered through Michael but I put blame on the supplier/shipper for the poor packaging. Essentially it was packaged in the exact same manor as Brewman's packaging description.

I ordered through Michael but I put blame on the supplier/shipper for the poor packaging. Essentially it was packaged in the exact same manor as Brewman's packaging description.
Yeah, his supplier is not making him look very good.

mine were also packaged the same. TBH, i am shocked yours looked that good given the situation.

OH joy.. . I get to see my 16... Uh 12 batteries tomorrow. Apparently 1 box is so bad it won't even be delivered?

It says UPS will notify the shipper about the damage. Sounds to me like that is the condition UPS got they boxes in. Or at least they are not owning it.

Attachments

• Capture+_2021-08-15-16-51-00~2.png
    Capture+_2021-08-15-16-51-00~2.png
    159 KB · Views: 34
Still they were not packaged very well
That looks like a heck of a lot more than just not packaged well. Something bad happened enroute. Not the best packaging, maybe, but that level of damage to the packaging is extreme.

I'm glad to see you wearing gloves as you're handling those things. I wonder how safe (or unsafe) the electrolyte really is.
According to a lifepo4 msds I saw a few weeks ago, the electrolyte is commonly a mixture of alkyl carbonates as a solvent with lithium hexafluorophosphate in solution. Several resources including one of Will Prowse' videos (if I remember correctly) indicate that this fluorine compound reacts with water to produce hydrogen fluoride or hydrofluoric acid. It's pretty nasty stuff. The idea is the air and most surfaces and certainly every persons body and skin contain water, making contact with the electrolyte hazardous.
MSDS for lithium hexafluorophophate: https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/US/en/sds/aldrich/201146

I looked into the legal requirements to ship these batteries in the USA and found that basically the way all these chinese sellers (and the domestic resellers as well) are doing it is by simply ignoring all the hazmat rules. A bit of foam overmolding like the better sellers provide would go a long way towards preventing damage and possible exposure, for us end users as well as to the unlucky UPS/fedex handlers.

That looks like a heck of a lot more than just not packaged well. Something bad happened enroute. Not the best packaging, maybe, but that level of damage to the packaging is extreme.
what do you think the packaging would look like if you shipped 4 13lb weights loosely in a cardboard box across the world? My box could hardly hold its form when it got to me. I cant fault UPS for this.

what do you think the packaging would look like if you shipped 4 13lb weights loosely in a cardboard box across the world? My box could hardly hold its form when it got to me. I cant fault UPS for this.
And the cardboard that comes from China often is not like the cardboard boxes we use here in the US . It is Very thin, and easy to rip and puncture.

Last edited:
Back