diy solar

diy solar

CATL 271Ah cell issues.

Those recycling drop offs are here in Oregon too, but they're meant for AA's or CR123's. If you show up with a 200 pounds of batteries that are stinking and leaking toxic electrolyte, you're going to be told no.
That is probably true. I have never had problems with lipos 4300ah 3s. But those are 1s and 2s, never 200lbs of leaking crap. But more volatile.

@Michael B Caro
ok so after waiting all this time, they want a count of now many cells for each of you fall in each catagory:

For this abnormality, we first suggest you the following operations:
1. Please tell you each customer to check all the batteries, and count the 0 voltage, leakage, and serious deformation to us,
2. Slight pits and insulation The skin is damaged and there is no leakage. Products with normal voltage are recommended to your customers as much as possible. I have confidence in the safety and reliability of the products we provide. At the same time, we will seek compensation from the freight forwarder to minimize the loss of you and your customers.
3. According to the products you provide with 0 voltage, leakage, and serious deformation in Article 1, we will be able to give you the best packaging, the best quality, and the most reasonable speed.

I assume that 3 means that for those cells they plan on providing replacements. Again, if this ends up being the case I will be having an Alibaba representative check what is being sent before the boxes are sealed up and they will check the packaging too.
I am guessing that you already have that info in the pics that we provided. Are you asking for us for other documentation other than the pics we supplied? Thanks very much

But what about what was supplied? These aren't "Grade A brand new cells" that I was sold. Given the QR codes are scratched (which is even less faith-inspiring) there is no way for any of us to validate exactly how old they are. Are they 50% of through their lifespan? They are certainly well used.
I agree with you and would be disappointed as well. But I think the best you and others can do is capacity test each cell. Capacity testing will be the most telling way to determine how much the cells have been used. It also wouldn't hurt to check the IR of each cell. That's what I would do provided the cell isn't leaking and dented.

Wishing all of you the best.

They are certainly well used.

Well put.

I tested 4 and got 258-265Ah. The 265Ah result was @10A. That cell tested 261Ah@40A.

I even bought an EBC-A40L to give me a second opinion.

@Michael B Caro really needs to address this issue.

Another thing to add, although the clock has run out for most, ups will let you refuse a package if it was delivered but not signed for. I think FedEx is the same. I was able to get all boxes sent back to speed king this way. I did add some foam between cells give them the best shot of not getting any more damage.

• If the package was delivered to a neighbor or released without a signature and has not been opened, you have five business days from the day of delivery to request a Return to Sender. After five business days you will need to contact the shipper.

Michael the four cells I received had serious enough deformation that I won't be using them, So zero volts on these cells.
Thank you.

ok so after waiting all this time, they want a count of now many cells for each of you fall in each catagory:

1. Please tell you each customer to check all the batteries, and count the 0 voltage, leakage, and serious deformation to us,
2. Slight pits and insulation The skin is damaged and there is no leakage. Products with normal voltage are recommended to your customers as much as possible. I have confidence in the safety and reliability of the products we provide. At the same time, we will seek compensation from the freight forwarder to minimize the loss of you and your customers.
3. According to the products you provide with 0 voltage, leakage, and serious deformation in Article 1, we will be able to give you the best packaging, the best quality, and the most reasonable speed.

I assume that 3 means that for those cells they plan on providing replacements. Again, if this ends up being the case I will be having an Alibaba representative check what is being sent before the boxes are sealed up and they will check the packaging too.
I am expecting the QTY of four(4) M8 Stud, Grade A Cells I ordered with no damage, bloating, etc. Mine (qty 4) fall in #3 category with zero voltage, serious deformation, and some leaking. You have all pics from me as well. I also assume most of us also fall in the category of "didn't get what we ordered". Will we be shipped the cells we ordered? I am looking for places locally to dispose of the current cells I have as it sounds like the shipper does not want them sent back, correct? What is the timeline of getting new (correct) cells? This is holding up my build. Thank you.

Last edited:

When am I going to get a reply from you? I am waiting since March for my 26 cells. When do I get an update on my order? You are obviously monitoring this thread.

@Michael B Caro
Thanks for the update.
I understand the supplier requested more info on cells that were delivered.
But, what about those cells that were not delivered due to refused delivery or returned to sender by sender request?

Every one of my cells fall into serious deformation category. So 8 cells.

Have you cap tested any?
Has taken me a while but finally managed a capacity test for my assembled pack - 8S 24V CATL 310Ah using an inverter and a 300w lamp. I only tested down to lowest cell hitting 2.5V and the Victron shunt I have recorded 296Ah so less than 310 advertised but not as bad as some of the figures mentioned on here. Cell 8 voltage was the one that tripped. Voltages were 2.89, 2.77, 2.65, 2.86, 2.70, 2.93, 2.81 and 2.49 when BMS tripped out. As mentioned before, for me whilst I am not ecstatic it is 20+ more Ah than I had planned to install so I can live with it... will see what it is like in a year of traveling!

Has taken me a while but finally managed a capacity test for my assembled pack - 8S 24V CATL 310Ah using an inverter and a 300w lamp. I only tested down to lowest cell hitting 2.5V and the Victron shunt I have recorded 296Ah so less than 310 advertised but not as bad as some of the figures mentioned on here. Cell 8 voltage was the one that tripped. Voltages were 2.89, 2.77, 2.65, 2.86, 2.70, 2.93, 2.81 and 2.49 when BMS tripped out. As mentioned before, for me whilst I am not ecstatic it is 20+ more Ah than I had planned to install so I can live with it... will see what it is like in a year of traveling!
Good news. Did those get balanced before the test?

Good news. Did those get balanced before the test?
Yep... I followed the "Step and pause" process in the document "Top Balancing LiFePo4 Cells using a low cost benchtop power supply" from the resources going to 3.60V. Just recharging the pack and waiting to see if the cells do come out together. Having read elsewhere that cells that aren't matched have a habit of going out of balance to the point that the BMS can't balance I have also decided to invest in a 1.2A Active balancer which isn't fitted yet but will be once I acquire my solar panels and B2B charger and fit it all in the van.

Looks like you have 2 that are driving the pack capacity. I'm waiting on a shipment of 150ah cell for a 2P8S for our coach. I have a pair of 3.3V 60 amp supplies that be dialed up to 3.6V and an ET1300 load just waiting ?

If a cell is leaking, I would not consider it safe, regardless of any residual voltage that "might" be present.

Back