diy solar

diy solar

Cheap BYD battery by the numbers. Stay away.

DENWA

All the re sellers keep lowering the ratings of these packs to avoid returns.
Originally rated at 4.5kWh now they have them 3kWh!!!!!

These packs have been used and abused.

8 cell at 3.2V each and 220Ah cell rating = 5.632kWh!

Most folks are gettiing 3-3.5kWh which is like less than 53-65% capacity.

or the BYD pack Will got --> 8 cell at 3.2V 200Ah - 5.12kW ( probably the correct rating of the 220Ah cells)

Will got 3.7kWh = which is ~72%!

I'm actually shocked Will is still recommending these at this low of a cycle capacity.

Even if they are just "out of balance" they more likare near the end of life/abused/poorly designed etc.

I doubt these packs will last very long.

So save your money unless you really know what your doing.

I mean you could get >3.5Kwh of cells off of Alibaba delivered to your house for the ~same money?

With the 280AH cells: 12V/280AH = 3,360Wh... 24V/6720Wh but that it at 100% which is not the best... usually using only 80% for longest life & most cycles compromise.

Yes Will did the reviews on these and yes the vendors responded & reacted and some folks are getting refunds or replacements or other corrective actions. This is a Hazzard of buying used. BTW the Valence Battery buyers are also getting quite a mix and they are on average dropping $500 USD for a 12V/130AH of which they "may" get 100AH.

This is also a good deal too for 200AH CATL cells @ $73 ea

4 for 12V, 8 for 24V and 16 for 48V.

PS: I was pondering 3-4 of those BYD packs but got befuddled with shipping & import to Canada, luckily I dodged that bullet and bough 16, 280AH cells instead, cost more but new and imporatable ... Imagine that, I can import LFP from China but NOT USA... and we are supposed to be good trade partners with the US.... what a pile of hooey ! Even regular stuff like a DVOM costs more to get from the US that for the same product from China and mostly because they gouge on shipping costs...

Looking for a BYD cell to replace a cell that goes high/low before the rest.
I think my pack might have some good life otherwise.
Is anyone junking their pack that maybe has a good cell to sell?

I bought five of them from Battery Hookup. I measured less than acceptable results and notified them looking for some kind of remediation. I negotiated a fair refund, though I would have been happy with return or exchange as well. They were slow to respond but very reasonable in getting to a number that was fair. To my surprise, they processed a refund in half the amount agreed to and stopped responding to my emails. I pursued it with medium effort, but I’m a busy guy and between work and family priorities, I dropped it, but I remained pretty PO’ed and felt shafted. Two months pass. I get an unexpected email saying that the owner had reviewed the two month old email exchange and wanted to make good on the original agreement. The additional refund had been processed at the same time they sent the email. I’m pretty impressed. I had buggered off. They didn’t really need to do anything. But the owner wanted to make good on his word. In my book, this is a company with some operational issues, but is honorably run and worthy of my future business.

Last edited:
They work fine as long as you babysit them and set the parameters of your BMS to very limited use.

My 8 have 14 kWh of usable energy. Total and complete letdown.

There are already many threads about bitching about these.

EYES WIDE open folks, they were taken out of service for good reason. Don't expect much out of them.
I suggest you only use them for 1/8th of their rated capacity. OR
Dismantle them down to their cells, AND
go through every cell and keep the decent once and blow up the junkers.

All the re sellers keep lowering the ratings of these packs to avoid returns.
Originally rated at 4.5kWh now they have them 3kWh!!!!!

These packs have been used and abused.

8 cell at 3.2V each and 220Ah cell rating = 5.632kWh!

Most folks are gettiing 3-3.5kWh which is like less than 53-65% capacity.

or the BYD pack Will got --> 8 cell at 3.2V 200Ah - 5.12kW ( probably the correct rating of the 220Ah cells)

Will got 3.7kWh = which is ~72%!

I'm actually shocked Will is still recommending these at this low of a cycle capacity.

Even if they are just "out of balance" they more likare near the end of life/abused/poorly designed etc.

I doubt these packs will last very long.

So save your money unless you really know what your doing.

I mean you could get >3.5Kwh of cells off of Alibaba delivered to your house for the ~same money?

And most cells builders say that cells got to be changed when under 70% of original capacity.

My byd powerwall has been very stable after interconnecting the cells. The other day I checked the wall and they cells were 5mv within balance at 50% capacity..

Back