diy solar

diy solar

December PV starting off crappy again.

I Truly have no right to be complaining about production.
I have 60 panels, leaning against the back of the house. And another pallet arriving soon.
At least they can be doing something, if I throw them on the ground and hook them up.

I Truly have no right to be complaining about production.
I have 60 panels, leaning against the back of the house. And another pallet arriving soon.
At least they can be doing something, if I throw them on the ground and hook them up.
How many do you have in production?

How many do you want total ?

I’ve got 60 Q cell 480w total plus the 10 sitting in my shop.

Should have realized when I built that battery pack that I wouldn’t have enough solar to charge them from a 2 -3 day deficit in winter.

I’ve got 1 more MPPT Channel I can put 12 more panels on but I would have to do what you said.
Just lay them on the ground.

I doubled the amount of panels I had and still sucks!!
I currently have 51 panels for the 14.5kw array and I get between 350kwh and 550kwh of useable power in Decembers over the last 5 years.
I'd have to do at least 200panels (4 x 350kwh) to run the house on all electric and a much large battery as it can literally be 5-7 days in a row of very limited PV.

I can only repeat.... 200 panels? - AGHHHHHH - don't have room for even 100 panels - AGHHHHHH!!!

All that you have to do is produce more than you use, on most days.
This week, that's not happening for me.

It was pretty dark today and PV was zip. Solar assistant had triggered a charge during off peak. I’ve got at least three days ride through if the grid and sun don’t help but I got a generator that can bring it back to full in six hours if the first two sources fail.
IMG_1145.png

I guess I can't really complain too much here. My production is certainly down, but nothing like the ratios in this thread.
My Enphase system is only 16 x 300 watt panels for just 4.8 KW total. That small system made 15.4 KWHs on 12/01 and 15.3 KWHs on 12/02 So I am doing a bit over 3 sun hours still. It's not quite enough to keep up, but it is getting me well past 9 pm after it goes to the lower overnight rate. So I have been manually kicking it to charge a bit from grid at the cheap rate.

My DC system is not doing as well. I think the shadows are playing havoc with the cheap MPPT controller. My 2,000 watts of panels only made about 5 KWHs each of the last 2 days. That only 2.5 sun hours. The really bad rainy days were much worse, but here, we don't get too many of those. I had a day where my 4.8 KW Enphase system only made 1 KWH, but this year, my worst day in Nov. still pushed 3.8 KWHs.

Tomorrow will be interesting. The forecast shows it being sunny to 10 am, then partly to mostly cloudy the rest of the day. And then cloudy again all day Monday. Then we may see sun again Tues. and Wed.

Dec. 20th is the winter solstice. After that, the days will start getting longer again, and the sun angle will start to come back up and clear the tress more too.

Just 3 at the moment.

Not enough, yet.

76.8 kwh so far.
Also not enough, yet.
My DC system is all on one cheap MPPT controller. I may get a second and see if it works better. Also tempting to compare a Victron to my BougeRV one. The price is actually reasonable now, I would have gotten the Victron if it was this cheap last year.

You can never have too many solar panels. I am just running out of room to put them.

My battery is ONLY 36 KWHs. It's "enough" as long as I only have one really bad day, or two partly cloudy days, in a row. It can cover that just fine, but a second real bad day, and I am going to drop to grid power. When that happens, I typically force some grid charge at the cheap rate still so I can run off battery through the peak rate time, even with little to no sun.

Well the good news is in 19 more days the days start getting longer each day…
plus the angle of the sun improves each day…..

as the old Merle song said.

“ If we make it through December” …
” things gonna be alright I know.”

It was pretty dark today and PV was zip. Solar assistant had triggered a charge during off peak. I’ve got at least three days ride through if the grid and sun don’t help but I got a generator that can bring it back to full in six hours if the first two sources fail.
View attachment 180877
Why does TOU kick in for grid charge at 80%SOC?

At least that’s what it looks like..

Last edited:
Back