diy solar

diy solar

Deye 8K grounding fault (Error F08 GFDI _Relay_Failure)

kolek

village idiot
First time connecting Deye 8K inverter (model SUN-8K-SG01LP1-US) in Japan.

- Solar panels are connected.
- Inverter is NOT connected to the grid.
- No battery is connected.

I'm having an F08 error GFDI _Relay_Failure.

For this error code, the manual says:
"When inverter is in Split phase(120/240Vac) or three-phase system (120/208Vac) system, the backup load port N line needs to connect ground."

I cannot find anything labeled "backup load port" and I don't know how to ground it even if I could find that port.

I've spent 3 hours searching for answers, nothing yet. Deye has not provided any support.

Can anyone help? Others have posted about this problem here before, but I haven't seen a clear answer yet. I'll find the other threads where it's mentioned and post them here.

Two are posting they have the same problem here on Sol-Ark models, same error, Deye makes SolArk:

Last edited:
It's just labeled "load".

If you are never going to connect the grid to it. Install the bonding screw in your loads panel.
@timselectric thank you for your reply!

>If you are never going to connect the grid to it. Install the bonding screw in your loads panel.

What happens if I connect the grid later? I need to remove that screw?

@timselectric, thank you again for following up!

Upon your suggestion I watched a Youtube video entitled "What Is a Neutral Bonding Screw in a Main or Sub Panel Load Center & Should It Be Used or Removed?" to better understand what you're saying.

I'm putting a picture of my panel (inside the house) here, I don't see anything remotely looking like it's going to bond anything to any type of ground, and the chassis itself is plastic.

I'm wondering if this 50-year-old Japanese house even has a bonding screw.

Attachments

• whole-panel2.png
    whole-panel2.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 13
@timselectric, thank you again for following up!

Upon your suggestion I watched a Youtube video entitled "What Is a Neutral Bonding Screw in a Main or Sub Panel Load Center & Should It Be Used or Removed?" to better understand what you're saying.

I'm putting a picture of my panel (inside the house) here, I don't see anything remotely looking like it's going to bond anything to any type of ground, and the chassis itself is plastic.

I'm wondering if this 50-year-old Japanese house even has a bonding screw.
I don't see any grounding conductors in your picture.
Which isn't surprising for the age.
It can be done in the Deye connection area.
Install a jumper (short piece of wire) between the load neutral and ground terminals.
And remove it if you ever connect the grid to your system.

@timselectric
Just confirming what needs to be done... referring to the picture on the left, I connect the "N" on the load terminal to this metal piece marked ground next to it?

Then I assume I also need to run a grounding wire from the grounding terminal on the Deye case (picture shown on left) to a copper pole I hammer into the ground? Otherwise, nothing in the system is actually grounded I don't think.

Thanks again!!

Attachments

• deye-grounding.png
    deye-grounding.png
    992.6 KB · Views: 6
Just confirming what needs to be done... referring to the picture on the left, I connect the "N" on the load terminal to this metal piece marked ground next to it?
Yes
Then I assume I also need to run a grounding wire from the grounding terminal on the Deye case (picture shown on left) to a copper pole I hammer into the ground? Otherwise, nothing in the system is actually grounded I don't think.
Connecting to earth is not grounding. It's just Connecting the local earth to your grounding system.
You can add a ground rod if you are never going to connect to grid.
Otherwise, I would not recommend it.

PV metal frames and metal racking, should be grounded.
Not the DC conductors.
Sorry @timselectric, what do you mean by "DC conductors" ? Are you just referring to the wiring used to connect the panels to the inverter? I understand I don't connect the "negative" solar panel wire to ground, if that is what you're saying.

My understanding from Will's video on grounding, and all the grounding videos I've watched, is that the PV metal frames and metal racks should not be grounded separately, they must share a single ground with the inverter to avoid creating a ground loop. Please correct me if I'm wrong about that.

There are lots of "instructional" videos on Youtube where the person installing grounding wires on solar panels creates a ground loop by using more than 1 grounding point, as I understand it, that is incorrect. There's a lot of conflicting information about grounding online, it's not easy to separate truth from the fiction.

This video about solar grounding also wrong? He claims neither the panels nor the inverter needs to have an earth ground.

Last edited:
Sorry @timselectric, what do you mean by "DC conductors" ? Are you just referring to the wiring used to connect the panels to the inverter? I understand I don't connect the "negative" solar panel wire to ground, if that is what you're saying.
Correct
My understanding from Will's video on grounding, and all the grounding videos I've watched, is that the PV metal frames and metal racks should not be grounded separately, they must share a single ground with the inverter to avoid creating a ground loop. Please correct me if I'm wrong about that.
Also correct

Youtube is great for entertainment. Not always great for information.

@timselectric
Just wanted to followup and let you know that thanks to you, I was able to get this working. Really appreciate your help!

The settings that worked are posted here:

Back