diy solar

diy solar

Deye Hybrid Split-Phase Inverters - Discontinued in favor of SOL-ARK

I recommend SMA since that's what I have and am happy with.

Present model Sunny Island falls short of several things on your list. With four, 2s2p, it's 112A pass through. Indoor. Simple pushbutton monitor, but can be monitored remotely. Sunny Boy does do PV direct to load. Switching during grid failure is about 30 ms. Supports FLA/AGM, select lithium batteries (REC is used for DIY). UL listed. 10 year warranty.

When the European 8.0H model comes to the US, that is outdoor rated and has an available 200A transfer switch.

48kW is a rather high load to transfer to batteries and run continuously. Four Sunny Island could surge 44kW, deliver 24kW from battery and let 24kW of Sunny Boy PV carry the rest. But you'll need a very large battery. I think it is more reasonable to have 200A main panel, 100A breaker feeing through the battery inverters to another panel with loads and GT PV. During a grid failure, excessive loads like electric furnace on main panel shut off. You can manually backfeed and decide what to power.

Price? If Sol-Ark is 12kW PV and 9kW of inverter, consider 2x Sunny Island and 2x Sunny Boy, 12 kW PV and 12 kW of battery inverter. Price around $15k, which is higher (2x?) but has considerably more AC capability during the day (up to 24kW). I have this, but with 4x Sunny Island.

Maybe multiple Sol-Ark would hit the performance and price you want.

Appears DEYE is back available in the states for sale - https://www.electriccarpartscompany.com/deye-grid-tied-inverter
I got excited for a minute, but the webpage unfortunately says NOT UL. I think that makes it useless for most of us who need to permit an installation, and certainly anything tied to the grid. It also asks when you need it, so I wonder if they even have any in the US at this point.
I just sent an inquiry to GSL via Alibaba for -UL listed- 2 x 12K hybrids + 10KWh of storage shipped to the US. I also asked about a 16K model, so we'll see if they can ship either a split phase or even a UL listed 240V version to the US - if they even have access to them.

I got excited for a minute, but the webpage unfortunately says NOT UL. I think that makes it useless for most of us who need to permit an installation, and certainly anything tied to the grid. It also asks when you need it, so I wonder if they even have any in the US at this point.
I just sent an inquiry to GSL via Alibaba for -UL listed- 2 x 12K hybrids + 10KWh of storage shipped to the US. I also asked about a 16K model, so we'll see if they can ship either a split phase or even a UL listed 240V version to the US - if they even have access to them.
Hi I have 2 Deye 8KW I bought from china they are UL listed and they are also cSGSus which is the certification Sol Ark has I live in Canada and these inverters are state of the art.Thanks

Hi I have 2 Deye 8KW I bought from china they are UL listed and they are also cSGSus which is the certification Sol Ark has I live in Canada and these inverters are state of the art.Thanks
Hi, Can you point me to where you got your Deyes? Did you happen to ask about the availability of a 12K or 16K unit?
I may have to break down for the Sol-Ark 15K. My biggest issue is that I've got to locate the inverter in my workshop that's ~200 ft from my house - first landing of power onto the property. I've got a single electrical run between the shop and house and cannot lay a 2nd power cable for a critical loads panel for practical reasons (septic tank, concrete, landscaping, trees). I figure that I can self-regulate the loads for the very unusual event of losing power. I definitely want the built-in 200A grid bypass that the Sol-Ark 15K has instead of messing with a slower external and expensive auto transfer switch. Since I'm now reading that the Sol-Ark units are really from Deye (and maybe made by GLS?), I wonder if they'll offer a US-UL listed version o their new 16K with the same features for less $$$. I'm not up on the tradeoffs of using an autotransformer, but that seems like a reasonable alternative - as long as I can get a combination that's UL listed.

That's what I am waiting for.
I prefer the transformer option.
It's the best way to get full power, from a high frequency inverter.

Hi, Can you point me to where you got your Deyes? Did you happen to ask about the availability of a 12K or 16K unit?
I may have to break down for the Sol-Ark 15K. My biggest issue is that I've got to locate the inverter in my workshop that's ~200 ft from my house - first landing of power onto the property. I've got a single electrical run between the shop and house and cannot lay a 2nd power cable for a critical loads panel for practical reasons (septic tank, concrete, landscaping, trees). I figure that I can self-regulate the loads for the very unusual event of losing power. I definitely want the built-in 200A grid bypass that the Sol-Ark 15K has instead of messing with a slower external and expensive auto transfer switch. Since I'm now reading that the Sol-Ark units are really from Deye (and maybe made by GLS?), I wonder if they'll offer a US-UL listed version o their new 16K with the same features for less $$$. I'm not up on the tradeoffs of using an autotransformer, but that seems like a reasonable alternative - as long as I can get a combination that's UL listed.
Because solark has exclusive distribution for split phase models i doubt deye will make any for sale outside of what solark will offer and using a transformer will incur some efficiency loss...then again it might also solve any imbalance issues...

Because solark has exclusive distribution for split phase models i doubt deye will make any for sale outside of what solark will offer and using a transformer will incur some efficiency loss...then again it might also solve any imbalance issues...
I edited one of my previous posts to reflect this but the discontinuation is partially incorrect. We have another method of sourcing these from the factory as they are still producing them for some regions. For us, they are still one of the most polished units on the market.

Edit: I may not have time to reply to any responses here but feel free to pm me for information and I'll answer when I can.

Where does it say NOT UL?

I see it said UL Approved.

Sorry, I should have said that I was looking at the 12K inverters! I need 2 of those or a 15K.
You're right about the 8K inverters saying UL Approved.

https://www.electriccarpartscompany.com/12kw-hybrid-inverter
For the 12K, in the Description section, under the general specs:
Click Here for User Manual
Can Be Paralleled
NOT UL Approved

Ahh, sorry I missed your mentioning the 12K. You got me worried for a sec as I am thinking of buying one of the 8K lol.

I bought the last 2 they had,Deye is the manufacturer of Sol Ark not GLS.I think GLS just puts their sticker on stuff.I would like to point you out to Megarevo Hybrid US 10kw its very similar to DEYE they also have 8KW and 5KW and even 7.6KW like DEYE it is sold by Eitai(Xiamen) New Energy Technology and others as usual with China you may have to research to find the actual manufacturer.Iam sure you realize that in the product number you want the one ending in US not EU and this is where you may be running into problems finding a UL certified unit.A lot of the ads on alibaba advertise a split phase unit but only for europe austrailia but they dont have split phase in Europe.Split phase is a north american thing 120V/240V.Honestly I thing you can still find a DEYE US version you just have to look for it there 100s of warehouses in china with left over stock,thats how I found mine when I realized I could get Sol Ark equivilent DEYE for less than half the price delivered to my door.Deye has been making inverters for a long time longer than most,Theyre quality units.Deye has its 2 lower fans beside each other and megarevo has a space between each fan.You cant go by the pictures on Alibaba you have to inquire because you may think your buying a fan cooled unit (in the picture) but in the specifications it says air cooled,so be careful.

I bought the last 2 they had,Deye is the manufacturer of Sol Ark not GLS.I think GLS just puts their sticker on stuff.I would like to point you out to Megarevo Hybrid US 10kw its very similar to DEYE they also have 8KW and 5KW and even 7.6KW like DEYE it is sold by Eitai(Xiamen) New Energy Technology and others as usual with China you may have to research to find the actual manufacturer.Iam sure you realize that in the product number you want the one ending in US not EU and this is where you may be running into problems finding a UL certified unit.A lot of the ads on alibaba advertise a split phase unit but only for europe austrailia but they dont have split phase in Europe.Split phase is a north american thing 120V/240V.Honestly I thing you can still find a DEYE US version you just have to look for it there 100s of warehouses in china with left over stock,thats how I found mine when I realized I could get Sol Ark equivilent DEYE for less than half the price delivered to my door.Deye has been making inverters for a long time longer than most,Theyre quality units.Deye has its 2 lower fans beside each other and megarevo has a space between each fan.You cant go by the pictures on Alibaba you have to inquire because you may think your buying a fan cooled unit (in the picture) but in the specifications it says air cooled,so be careful.
I See GSL also has GSL labled inverter like the megarevo I mentioned but the megarevo is cheaper.Also you should pay attention to shipping costs because some ship much cheaper than others

I am also ready to buy a roughly 8K HF LV split-phase hybrid inverter with CT's now, like yesterday!

I've contacted Megarevo and their pricing is certainly reasonable, although the shipping is pretty ridiculous IMO ($580/$650 to CT depending on the carrier). They now have UL cert (through SGS). It sounds like some early users are seeing occasional bugs and not all features have been activated. The owner's manual is also unclear about what some features do. They have yet to release any firmware updates that I know of, they claim one is coming later this month and that it will enable some additional features too. I'm sure they will get the software sorted, but I still have no idea if the hardware is 100% as I know little about the brand or if some of the hardware in these new LV units is new/unproven compared to their existing HV line. Another concern is BMS compatibility.

I have reached out to Huayu for info on their new NA market 8k or 10k LV units, but I have yet to hear anything from them. Specs look good based on looking at their similar HV models. Availability, price, quality, exact features/specs, and UL cert is all ??? I still have many of the same concerns as I do with the new Megarevo inverters since this is another new product for Huayu.

Deye/GSL is my other real option. Proven, sorted and UL cert (again through SGS), but significantly more expensive than the above. Some availability issues, although they are out there. For me the Megarevo specs are a better all around given the slight larger capacity, the 4 MPPT, and having a wider MPPT range... not a MUST, but it certainly fits my panel locations and specs better. I can make the Deye work, but I have to make system compromises, and pay a good bit more for it.

I've waited 6 months to order the inverter hoping one of the new players with better MPPT options would plan out, and be at a lower price point compared to the proven Deye. I've had my panels sitting and my batteries (DIY) will be here early next week. Realistically I can wait another month or two if I must, but after all this waiting, well lets just say I'm ready to get going!

The Huayu has a 10 year warranty which is double the 5 from DEYE.It is fan cooled.I dont think the GSL are deye some of them are,but for Europe only look closely at the Fan setup they are different than the DEYE,.they are the same as megarevo.Honestly the megarevo is basically a DEYE copy with a few differences.There are you tube videos out that you can watch and see the difference of them operating here in North America google Bluesun 12KW inverter video watch the one that says Whats inside,this is a megarevo from Bluesun.The way the wiring is connected is different not the screw type to tighten like on a DEYE.He claims they already did a software upgrade and the it is done is pretty slick and much safer than the wifi on a DEYE

I can chime in here with some info. I was looking at the Magarevo and the Huayu's but ultimetly decided to go with the Deye 7.6 KW, simply because they have a longer track record, tons of users, (thus potential support on forums like this one) and pretty powerful software settings.

The Huayu HYH-10K-NA was quoted at around $2,900 plus around $600 shipping to US. It seems like the Huayu's are most likely made by Luxpower, but Huayu is the exclusive seller for the North American Version, the rep told me this, but said they co-develped it with Luxpower, who knows exactly. The specs on the Huayu seem very strong comparted to the Deye in terms of raw power, manual is attached - you will see some reference to Luxpower in there. I didn't go with the Huayu bc I was leery of the potential support, etc with so few on the market, as well as the software, it doesn't seem nearly as robust as the Deye's based on the manual. As of today they still don't have the UL cert either. You can get a Deye for around this same price shipped, refer to post #112 for more info.

Attachments

• Hybrid Iverter User Manual(1).pdf
    7 MB · Views: 42
I can chime in here with some info. I was looking at the Magarevo and the Huayu's but ultimetly decided to go with the Deye 7.6 KW, simply because they have a longer track record, tons of users, (thus potential support on forums like this one) and pretty powerful software settings.

The Huayu HYH-10K-NA was quoted at around $2,900 plus around $600 shipping to US. It seems like the Huayu's are most likely made by Luxpower, but Huayu is the exclusive seller for the North American Version, the rep told me this, but said they co-develped it with Luxpower, who knows exactly. The specs on the Huayu seem very strong comparted to the Deye in terms of raw power, manual is attached - you will see some reference to Luxpower in there. I didn't go with the Huayu bc I was leery of the potential support, etc with so few on the market, as well as the software, it doesn't seem nearly as robust as the Deye's based on the manual. As of today they still don't have the UL cert either. You can get a Deye for around this same price shipped, refer to post #112 for more info.
I received basically the same info from Huaya. Frankly the specs look great, very appealing. The price is more than I expected for a new and unproven product with arguably limited internal and external support, especially since they were recently advertising it at $2500. I'm still very tempted based on the superior specs.

I have also reached out to Luxpower for a quote on their LXP10K inverter, which 100% does indeed appear to be the same product as the Huayu inverter. Unknown if they are working towards UL approval.

The Deye 7.6/8k would limit my options and any future growth, without shelling out for another $$$ inverter anyway, and that's assuming I could later find another. But as you state, it's reliable, proven, and has support. If it didn't limit my personal panel installation options so much, I think this is likely the smart buy.

For quite a bit less money, the Megarevo is certainly worth consideration as well. Given the relatively short lifespan inverters tend to have, and technological advancements over time, an argument can be made to not spend a ton of money on an inverter, making this a strong option as well.

Back