diy solar

diy solar

Eg4 18k issues. Unable to run for over month of attempts

I'm not sure what you mean by "Lights up the batteries finally, but does nothing else"

I assume you mean the batteries are powered on, but the inverter isn't doing anything?

If so, are you sure you are using the correct turn-on sequence to make use of the pre-charge resistors in the battery?

ie,
- turn off breakers that are built into the batteries. All 12.
- turn on any circuit breakers that are in line between your batteries and inverter (the idea is, as soon as you turn the breaker on for 1 battery, the inverter should get power, using the pre-charge resistor circuit.
- when inverter lights up, turn the rest of your batteries on.

Has the inverter *ever* powered up? If not, it may be a faulty unit.
The battery was showing an exclamation mark, I put it into user and they show a battery now.

It is faulty, I am going through RMA now.

The battery was showing an exclamation mark, I put it into user and they show a battery now.

It is faulty, I am going through RMA now.
Did you get a chance to try my suggestion of removing all of the comms cables from 1 battery, setting the DIP switches to ID 0, and then plugging ONLY the inverter into that 1 battery, rather than the whole stack of batteries?

I did, there was nothing showing or doing anything different than the way it was when hooked up to the other batteries.

I have been sent 4 total dongles already.
When SS sends out replacement dongles they are programed to check in with LuxPower servers in China. They are not programmed to report to EG4's servers here in the USA. I'm not sure if anyone at SS knows this or not, but I ran into a similar issue with replacement dongles and spent 1/2 a day diagnosing it myself until it dawned on me.

To resolve this, connect the dongle to the WiFi network or connect directly to the AP created by the dongle. If connecting using the AP go to 10.10.10.1 and if connecting via WiFi go to the IP address it was assigned. Login and go to "Network Setting" on the left hand side. Under Network Connection 1, change the Server Address from 120.79.53.27 (LuxPower in China) to 3.101.7.137 (EG4 in San Jose, CA via AWS us-west-1).

That should resolve connection issues and make the dongles available in the dashboard.

When SS sends out replacement dongles they are programed to check in with LuxPower servers in China. They are not programmed to report to EG4's servers here in the USA. I'm not sure if anyone at SS knows this or not, but I ran into a similar issue with replacement dongles and spent 1/2 a day diagnosing it myself until it dawned on me.

To resolve this, connect the dongle to the WiFi network or connect directly to the AP created by the dongle. If connecting using the AP go to 10.10.10.1 and if connecting via WiFi go to the IP address it was assigned. Login and go to "Network Setting" on the left hand side. Under Network Connection 1, change the Server Address from 120.79.53.27 (LuxPower in China) to 3.101.7.137 (EG4 in San Jose, CA via AWS us-west-1).

That should resolve connection issues and make the dongles available in the dashboard.
How did you find their IP addresses, was this something they sent you?

Also, based on your username, I'm sure you know.. so just saying for the broader audience:

If you can use hostnames, that is the preferable way over IP addresses. that way if luxpower or eg4 changes anything in their infrastructure, your stuff should just continue to work. (maybe rebooting the wifi dongle if it doesn't just pick up the new IP, for some reason)

Also, based on your username, I'm sure you know.. so just saying for the broader audience:

If you can use hostnames, that is the preferable way over IP addresses. that way if luxpower or eg4 changes anything in their infrastructure, your stuff should just continue to work. (maybe rebooting the wifi dongle if it doesn't just pick up the new IP, for some reason)
SS has a network troubleshooting document. It explains how to reset the dongle and includes a few extra details. I'm not sure if it's published.

You can do a trace route or ping the server name of the monitoring site.
But yes can confirm that those settings will be correct.

I first noticed an issue because I have enterprise grade equipment at home that L7 blocks traffic to/from China and the dongle wouldn't connect. Did a packet capture and found it was blocking the traffic due to the rules. Once I removed the rule I saw it connecting, so I knew something was up because the last one didn't require a connection to China. I found the IP in the settings, looked it up and found that it resolved to the monitoring site for their branded units out of China. It was also the IP that the Lux Power Monitor phone app was connecting to based on the Android APK. Since my old dongle was dead I couldn't verify that this one was different, but I just figured that if it just resolves to the monitoring site that monitor.eg4electronics.com should be the US based version for EG4. Did a dig on the domain and found the IP, plugged it in and it worked. Yes you could use the domain name as well, but since the IP was what was being used I just put that in. If it ever stops working I know where to find it.

No one gave me the IP. I've seen a lot of people saying that the replacement dongles won't connect and once I personally experienced that with a new dongle from SS I wondered if they are sending them out unaware of the fact that they aren't programmed to work with their US based monitoring. I'm sure they've seen my post by now and are likely going to make sure that support knows or they get them changed before shipping them. To make matters worse, in the dongle status page it does show connected because it is connected to the servers in China, so it makes you think it's working correctly.

So either use:
-or-
monitor.eg4electronics.com

Last edited:
I first noticed an issue because I have enterprise grade equipment at home that blocks traffic to/from China. The dongle wouldn't connect unless I allowed traffic to China so I knew something was up. I found the IP in the settings, looked it up and found that it resolved to the monitoring site for their branded units out of China. Since my old dongle was dead I couldn't verify that this one was different, but I just figured that if it just resolves to the monitoring site that monitor.eg4electronics.com should be the US based version for EG4. Did a dig on the domain and found the IP, plugged it in and it worked. Yes you could use the domain name as well, but since the IP was what was being used I just put that in. If it ever stops working I know where to find it.

No one gave me the IP. I've seen a lot of people saying that the replacement dongles won't connect and once I personally experienced that with a new dongle from SS I wondered if they are sending them out unaware of the fact that they aren't programmed to work with their US based monitoring. I'm sure they've seen my post by now and are likely going to make sure that support knows or they get them changed before shipping them. To make matters worse, in the dongle status page it does show connected because it is connected to the servers in China, so it makes you think it's working correctly.

So either use:
-or-
@Markus_SignatureSolar

A couple of folks seem to have had trouble with this inverter. I had similar issues, but I am very patient and I don't let failure get to me to the point I start throwing up my hands in frustration. For any DIY product this new you have to take it one step at the time. Never make multiple changes at once. In order for the 18K to work with the LP4 batteries you have to have them upgraded. Further, in order for communication to work you have to use the provided cable, and I note that mine was labeled for which end goes to the battery and which to the inverter. It needs to be in the left side of the first battery in the chain, it must be the battery set to address 0. There are multiple RJ45 plugs in the inverter, make sure you select the correct one. The manual is still horrible. The cabling information is in there, you have to read carefully. Make sure you download the latest manual from the website. The android eg4 app is pretty arcane. You should see the dongle if you select the correct options, but I've noticed you can't be very far away. Once the domino's fall into place it should start working. I always approach the problem assuming I have either missed something, or am not aware of something. This inverter will work without connection to battery management at all. I still have some issues with the firmware, but I'm not unhappy.

Just saw this thread right now. Bummed no one tagged me in it before I made my recent videos. Good to know, and good discussion

I first noticed an issue because I have enterprise grade equipment at home that L7 blocks traffic to/from China and the dongle wouldn't connect. Did a packet capture and found it was blocking the traffic due to the rules. Once I removed the rule I saw it connecting, so I knew something was up because the last one didn't require a connection to China. I found the IP in the settings, looked it up and found that it resolved to the monitoring site for their branded units out of China. It was also the IP that the Lux Power Monitor phone app was connecting to based on the Android APK. Since my old dongle was dead I couldn't verify that this one was different, but I just figured that if it just resolves to the monitoring site that monitor.eg4electronics.com should be the US based version for EG4. Did a dig on the domain and found the IP, plugged it in and it worked. Yes you could use the domain name as well, but since the IP was what was being used I just put that in. If it ever stops working I know where to find it.

So either use:
-or-
how about GSL one, its basically same thing with EG4 just being re-brand of same luxpower inverter. Is there IP addresses for GSL one or it needs to go chinese one? Also it seems the only way to get firmware updates and remote monitoring is either via wifi or hard wire dongle/adapter right?

So I just received one of two of my 6000xp's. @EG4_Jarrett was awesome in helping this. However, after hours yesterday, I could not figure out why the dongle Cloud light would keep flashing. I was thinking it was something on their server side. Turns out it was me blocking China via L7 filtering (UI DMP).

I just relayed to Signature Solar support folks on the phone. Not sure how they document and share information, but definitely needs to be shared.

@DevSecOps I was not able to connect to the dongle's HTTP interface. Was there any specific port information for the connection? Unblocking China worked, but I want to change it to US monitoring.

They should already be on Amazon AWS in the USA. You can change the home server in the dongle web interface. It has been talked about a couple of times here before.

@Quattrohead I could not access the dongle's web interface. My unit is definitely still talking to China. L7 blocks China, had to allow China to get it to connect. Is it just a simple :80 interfaec?

@Quattrohead I could not access the dongle's web interface. My unit is definitely still talking to China. L7 blocks China, had to allow China to get it to connect. Is it just a simple :80 interfaec?
6000xp dongle doesn't have a direct IP interface (not one that I can access)

18Kpv dongle does support a "intranet" (local) connection.

Last edited:
Assuming it's the same as the 18K with the eg4 monitor app you have to connect to the Wifi AP for the dongle (serial number), then run the configuration tools. Not hyper intuitive, but not overly difficult.

Back