diy solar

diy solar

EG4 18kPV Q+A general thread

Please post what settings you would like to have access to that you would have with other inverter as an end user. We are looking for feedback on this 100%
I think the straightforward answer everyone here is thinking is: “all of them”

I’m willing to listen to arguments against that statement (some probably make sense). But as a whole, we want access to everything there isn’t a legitimate reason we shouldn’t have access to.

I’d like to clarify:

I don’t particularly care how deep the level of settings is via the app. I appreciate having an app, and it’s much better than having to be at the inverter, but, I’ll be making my “big changes” via the web interface.

I see no reason from a technological perspective that an end user such as myself, couldn’t look at the EXACT same screen as your technicians. Thus eliminating any further development or changes required on your end.

For example, the in house level 1 technician that helped me named Sean clearly had elevated permissions in comparison to me. Someone had to set him up as a user and select his user role. I imagine the “head honcho” over at Signature Solar would be “admin”. That person would grant your technicians a “level 1”, “level 2” or “level 3” permission set, each of which has different levels of access (maybe they’re all the same, I’m making assumptions).

When an end user such as myself registers, or in my case when my account is registered by you guys, clearly I have an “end user” version of access with many things missing.

Here’s the simple solution for everyone involved. On a “request” basis, simply elevate our access level to a higher level enabling the same access as the technicians.

If there are permissions that you feel could legitimately cause a problem, just copy that user permission set from “level 1 technician” to a new role called “advanced homeowner”, then disable whatever we shouldn’t have. You now have a simple solution that can be applied to anyone that requests it.

I imagine this would be a 5 minute process to set up, probably easier than me explaining it on an iPhone in a Costco parking lot. I also expect it would cut down on your customer service workload.

As an additional idea: create preconfigured firmware/settings packages that people can install. IE the “I don’t want to back feed the grid” firmware.

I haven’t got to the point of looking to see if system backups are possible either, but absolutely would be something I’d expect to be a big part of this. Any electronics without a backup are a nightmare waiting to happen.
If you have your system set up and running good why do you feel like you would need to go in and change any major settings. How can we warranty a product like this if we gave you access to all of that. I do understand adding certain settings for the end user and we are looking for feedback

If you have your system set up and running good why do you feel like you would need to go in and change any major settings. How can we warranty a product like this if we gave you access to all of that. I do understand adding certain settings for the end user and we are looking for feedback
To answer your question, I don’t.

My system is ONLY operating because someone at Signature Solar created an account for me because of what appears to be a Wi-Fi dongle registration issue.

I will be making changes all the time as a system grows, needs change etc.

To answer your warranty question, I think we’re either not understanding each other, or we’re going in circles.

You previously stated that we have access to all settings via the touch screen on the front of the inverter. That statement means one of two things: we already have access to all settings, and your warranty problems will be no different if we have web access, OR, we don’t actually have full access at the touch screen.

I can’t think of a scenario where web access to settings we already have local access to would create additional warranty issues.

It is also hard for me to provide a list of the settings I'd like access to, as I am unaware of what I don't have access to.

I stand by my prior statement of web access vs physical access, I can't see how that would create additional warranty claims, but if you disagree, I think it may be easier for everyone here to turn this around:

Rather than us list what we want/need access to, can you tell us what you don't want us having access to? I would think that list would be shorter in the long run. It'll also eliminate us asking for things you already know we aren't going to get access to.

I noticed some concerns about full access to all settings. Markus has already shared the passcode for advanced settings on the LCD. This is actually an exception, and I believe Markus trusts that DIY enthusiasts here have enough knowledge to handle these settings.
However, when it comes to remote access settings, we only provide basic operations to the "user" level accounts, which is already better than other similar products I know. I apologize, but more advanced remote settings are intended for technical services by installers and distributors. Our product is not yet at a stage where most homeowners can easily handle detailed configurations, and we are concerned that opening up too many settings might overwhelm our installers and distributors, leading to complaints.
So, everything is focused on ensuring the smooth operation of the system and providing customers with the best experience of energy independence. Obviously, our product is not like a Game Boy or some puzzle locks, with various unlockable features. Ideally, we want our products to be installed and configured more efficiently, and after setup, customers can forget about having Luxpower and simply enjoy reduced or even zero energy bills.
In other words, the original idea is to always make it easy for users and leave the complex tasks to service providers like our local installers/distributors and our own team. I hope this explanation is clear. By the way, if anyone finds good examples of other inverters providing full access to remote settings, please let us know. THX

By the way, if anyone finds good examples of other inverters providing full access to remote settings, please let us know. THX
Victron. When I buy a Victron system I get full access to every setting available. Only if an installer installs it can they then restrict access to certain settings. It is assumed the purchaser of the equipment is the installer.

Victron. When I buy a Victron system I get full access to every setting available. Only if an installer installs it can they then restrict access to certain settings. It is assumed the purchaser is the installer.
I was just going to say this.

Tell me what I need to do to be an “installer”. I installed mine. I’m a contractor. Is this a fee, or is there training?

Victron lets me do everything. It’s very simple.

Victron. When I buy a Victron system I get full access to every setting available. Only if an installer installs it can they then restrict access to certain settings. It is assumed the purchaser is the installer.
Good to know. Thx.
Off grid stuff won't make trouble to neighbors, that is really 100% "take the own risk". Understood it has cons n pros, sometimes when it's frustating to make a decision then better to keep it as it is for safety.

I have no hands on experience with either unit but, does sol-ark have the 15k configured in a similar manner with limited permissions/access at the user level?

Off grid stuff won't make trouble to neighbors, that is really 100% "take the own risk". Understood it has cons n pros, sometimes when it's frustating to make a decision then better to keep it as it is for safety.
Outback is also same way and also support selling back to grid. You had to enter a 3 digit code to access the advanced settings but that was stated in the manual. Again, it was assumed the purchaser was the installer and if you paid an installer to do it the installer would change the code.

Good to know. Thx.
Marcus says this is about warranty claims, your saying it’s about neighbors.

I don’t think this is something we’re going to be satisfied with any answer other than, “you have access to your settings.”

None of this was stated in marketing materials, ultimately it’s ours to change as we see fit.

Additionally, victron literally sells UL certified inverters for installation on the US power grid. These arguments just don’t add up.

I don’t think this is something we’re going to be satisfied with any answer other than, “you have access to your settings.”

None of this was stated in marketing materials, ultimately it’s ours to change as we see fit.

Additionally, victron literally sells UL certified inverters for installation on the US power grid. These arguments just don’t add up.
If the user manual list a setting that the end user doesn't have access to...then I could see your point.

I was just going to say this.

Tell me what I need to do to be an “installer”. I installed mine. I’m a contractor. Is this a fee, or is there training?

Victron lets me do everything. It’s very simple.
Outback is also same way and also support selling back to grid. You had to enter a 3 digit code to access the advanced settings but that was stated in the manual. Again, it was assumed the purchaser was the installer and if you paid an installer to do it the installer would change the code.

Got the point. Whether I have no experience with Outback's APP yet, I will find a chance to try it out.
so we would rather let EG4 judge if some users install by themselves, and can be considered as experienced installers. they may ask to upgrade to the installer account. I am sorry my answer could not please you, but I just tried to explain the real concern of why the full remote settings are not for all users.

Also, here’s a scenario: major disaster, or a customers internet is down, or grid is down, or Texas has another major freeze, or Signature Solar closes its doors.

Do we all just pray this never happens? Hopefully none of the above does, but that’s a simplistic answer.

Got the point. Whether I have no experience with Outback's APP yet, I will find a chance to try it out.
so we would rather let EG4 judge if some users install by themselves, and can be considered as experienced installers. they may ask to upgrade to the installer account. I am sorry my answer could not please you, but I just tried to explain the real concern of why the full remote settings are not for all users.
Agreed, this is the same solution I detailed earlier. If we request additional access, I think that makes perfect sense.

lol. you said Texas. you could imagine the same thing happening to Sol-Ark. But obviously, it won't be like that. the disaster happens, the users are able to set "stand-by' or shut off everything by breakers. and RSD is always working without complicated settings. so really appreciate you could understand we did this is not that we don't want customers to be happier. I appreciated and enjoyed all the discussions here about all settings, different applications, etc.
People here obviously got a better knowledge base than average solar-powered homeowners. But we have to consider the general users' level when we design some logic, you gotta know some users don't even know what the inverter is once they see the item in the Installer's proposal.

lol. you said Texas. you could imagine the same thing happening to Sol-Ark. But obviously, it won't be like that. the disaster happens, the users are able to set "stand-by' or shut off everything by breakers. and RSD is always working without complicated settings. so really appreciate you could understand we did this is not that we don't want customers to be happier. I appreciated and enjoyed all the discussions here about all settings, different applications, etc.
People here obviously got a better knowledge base than average solar-powered homeowners. But we have to consider the general users' level when we design some logic, you gotta know some users don't even know what the inverter is once they see the item in the Installer's proposal.
I was purely listing scenarios where it would be pertinent to have access to all settings without reliance on remote support.

For example, I’ll have one of these installed where my only access to internet is starlink. Let’s say that drops, who knows why. I’d still appreciate the ability to make those changes.

I fully understand most people are a walking disaster, I deal with them for a living. Struggling to update an app on an iPhone etc.

What I would appreciate, and I think would make everyone happy, would just be the ability for us to request a higher level of access. I think that is a solution everyone can agree upon.

I was purely listing scenarios where it would be pertinent to have access to all settings without reliance on remote support.

For example, I’ll have one of these installed where my only access to internet is starlink. Let’s say that drops, who knows why. I’d still appreciate the ability to make those changes.

I fully understand most people are a walking disaster, I deal with them for a living. Struggling to update an app on an iPhone etc.

What I would appreciate, and I think would make everyone happy, would just be the ability for us to request a higher level of access. I think that is a solution everyone can agree upon.
Right, well understood, sir. I appreciate your experience in that difficult situation.
I have a few close friends in Texas; I closely watched what they experienced a couple of years ago. Actually, what happened in Texas pushed governments (not just the US government) to encourage the distributed energy network significantly. When a disaster comes, utility power is off, and the PV in an on-grid system is useless. In other words, that won't help to deliver the value of energy independence. There have been other important events that raised the importance of ESS, such as the total solar eclipse event in 2015, which triggered the attention of the German and European governments towards energy storage systems, and the disaster caused by Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico. Good discussion, these events led to very productive discussions about being prepared for such unfortunate circumstances.

What if you use the smart load option for your hvac
I don't think we are reading carefully. My inverter sits behind a transfer switch. If my inverter were grid-tied there would be no phasing issues. When the inverter turns on/off, it is out of phase with the grid, the transfer switch kicks back to the grid, sometimes this causes a wierd disruption with the HVAC, it will start making odd sounds, that will go away when (if when its 118F) it cycles the compressor off and on. The simplest thing might be to trip the cycle off when this event occurs.

How many time do you need to change the battery type? I hope only once.
I was trying to get the inverter to talk to my Felicity solar batteries but apparently their BMS has its own lingo that no one understands. I am experimenting with replacing one of them with a jbd bms.

I was trying to get the inverter to talk to my Felicity solar batteries but apparently their BMS has its own lingo that no one understands. I am experimenting with replacing one of them with a jbd bms.

Will the jbd communicate with the inverter?

diy solar

diy solar
Back