diy solar

diy solar

EG4 18kPV Q+A general thread

Has the 18kPV been tested to see if it has any power on the PV lines when connected to battery and/or grid and the PV array is disconnected (so there should not be any power on the PV lines). This is an issue on some other AIOs and people have been shocked because of this and wondered if this was addressed with the 18kPV.
Takes a few minutes to passively bleed off after disconnecting solar but it bottoms out between 0.5-4v DC . Nothing measured in AC.

Multimeter confirms lcd data is accurate.
20230713_183559.jpg

Last edited:
I will give you credit, I didn't think such a standalone arc fault existed.

Read thru that manual, certainly has plenty of exceptions and talk about false tripping.

Because of the random nature of arc faults with different types of arcs (series, parallel, etc.),it not possible to achieve a 100 percent detection rate. Following numerous tests with various rectifiers and application scenarios, we have achieved the highest possible detection rate. Using this technology for arc fault detection significantly increases the safety and reliability of PV systems.

As it is not 100% detection rate, then it would be prudent to exercise other safety measures such as metal conduit.

Nuisance tripping tests are also required in addition to these arcing tests. The UL standard does not cover all the conditions encountered in practice to which a device will be subjected,however.

Influences on detection The task of a protection/detection device is to detect an arcing event in the mix of all frequencies in the overall system. The inverter generates a lot of noise in a PV system during its constant search for the Maximum Point of Power (MPP). The way in which inverters search for the (optimum) MPP can vary from one manufacturer to another. Besides the MPP tracking process, the inverter itself can also generate additional excessive noise during the inverter startup phase or during its self-test, during high solar irradiance at/over the inverter's maximum input, or during cloudy conditions.To accurately detect an arcing event, all these possible disturbances generated must be considered in order to prevent false tripping of a protection/detection device. Besides the noise generated by an inverter itself, the detection range (distance) between the arcing event and the detection device is significant. Arc detection works best with a high signal-to-noise ratio. The greater the distance between the device and the arcing event is,the lower the signal-to-noise ratio will be. The arc will be masked by the "background noise".The UL 1699 – Sub B standard has incorporated tests for determining whether the AFCI or AFD is functioning correctly (detection). The tests consist of detecting the arcing wattages –mentioned further above – in the proximity of the device and at a distance of 66 meters (200feet) from the device. But also tests are included to determine whether the device is subjected to false tripping (detection when there is no arcing event). The tests consist of testing the functioning of the device when installed in combination with an inverter that can create disturbances that could mask the arcing event. But also it might occur that the device does not detect the switching of an interrupting device, for example a DC disconnector.
This detector is for series arcs only (on page 24 they also note it may detect parallel arcs, but is not certified for this) , and this is the detector half of a system, the other half being the interupter that opens the circuit. I was not able to find the cost for the parts on Siemens' site. Anyone know?

Reactions: Zwy
So, .... How many fires have been caused by bad wiring between a solar panel array and an inverter?
I saw NFPA stats maybe 5 years ago; the number was much higher than it should have been. Just Walmart had between 40-70 fires on the roofs of various facilities. Most but far from all of the damage was related to bad MC4 connections.

Arc fault (and ground fault) protection cannot always isolate the fault. Conductor protection is a harder sell in my book; if that is really what is needed then RGS or RAC conduits should be required. (Personally I would really prefer rigid aluminum on my roof over EMT.)

I saw NFPA stats maybe 5 years ago; the number was much higher than it should have been. Just Walmart had between 40-70 fires on the roofs of various facilities. Most but far from all of the damage was related to bad MC4 connections.

Arc fault (and ground fault) protection cannot always isolate the fault. Conductor protection is a harder sell in my book; if that is really what is needed then RGS or RAC conduits should be required. (Personally I would really prefer rigid aluminum on my roof over EMT.)
Aluminium? Lowish melting point, interesting. I really do like the idea of the Tigo optimizers, it's just a bit pricey to put 32 of them up. I need to do some research on this. Frankly a problem with the wire in my conduit does not frighten me in the slightest. I put a J-box with MC4's at the beginning and end of each string. The wires home run thru conduit and pull boxes all the way to the inverter, but stringing the panels was an interesting exercise. These 440's are BIG. So far though I'm reasonably happy with these 18K's. Another 30K of batteries and 8 west facing panels, I could be completely off grid.

The only problem I've had with the 18k's that still makes me nervous occured before the latest firmware. After kicking off overnight, then next morning I think it was around 4rd of July, when the inverters cut on in the morning, one of the 120v legs was not putting out enough voltage, the other was fine. Caused some interesting activity. I resolved the problem by dropping the inverters into standby, then bringing them right back online. I'm wondering if anyone else has run into anything like this? I had taken my SBC offline to swap it, so I don't have any monitoring of the event, no biggie for me but, if I'm out of town or something could be problematic.

. Another 30K of batteries and 8 west facing panels, I could be completely off grid.
Just received my 2nd set of EG4 LP4 batteries 2 days ago. Working on top balancing now. Still waiting on the rack...(must be back order). The current version of the LP4 Battery has a better mounting brackets and the usb comm cable is nice.
20230713_133712.jpg

The only problem I've had with the 18k's that still makes me nervous occured before the latest firmware. After kicking off overnight, then next morning I think it was around 4rd of July, when the inverters cut on in the morning, one of the 120v legs was not putting out enough voltage, the other was fine. Caused some interesting activity. I resolved the problem by dropping the inverters into standby, then bringing them right back online. I'm wondering if anyone else has run into anything like this? I had taken my SBC offline to swap it, so I don't have any monitoring of the event, no biggie for me but, if I'm out of town or something could be problematic.
I think you can remotely activate standby via the app. I'll test that tomorrow if I remember.

Has the 18kPV been tested to see if it has any power on the PV lines when connected to battery and/or grid and the PV array is disconnected (so there should not be any power on the PV lines). This is an issue on some other AIOs and people have been shocked because of this and wondered if this was addressed with the
With the last (still unreleased) firmware update it has not sold back a thing. I've got a smart meter and been checking it.

That’s good news! I’ve been waiting to hear something on the zero export. My father is wanting to get an 18k pv now also. He plans on using the grid features. Seems like he texts me every other day for an update. He should be happy to hear this.

That’s good news! I’ve been waiting to hear something on the zero export. My father is wanting to get an 18k pv now also. He plans on using the grid features. Seems like he texts me every other day for an update. He should be happy to hear this.
The grid relays are completely disabled (for my firmware version, not sure if this will be a user adjustable setting in the future) however, grid relays are engaged if any of the following features are enabled; AC charge, low volt/soc is triggered, grid feedback...(I may have forgotten a few)

*I was unable to use/activate upstream grid assist with my currently installed beta firmware.
I spoke with a lux representative and it does appear that my desire to have "zero export" required the disabling of the upstream grid assist feature. (I have not install the newest LCD GUI yet)

Last edited:
Has the 18kPV been tested to see if it has any power on the PV lines when connected to battery and/or grid and the PV array is disconnected (so there should not be any power on the PV lines). This is an issue on some other AIOs and people have been shocked because of this and wondered if this was addressed with the 18kPV.
Just asking, would a fused combiner box between 18kpv and solar panels have any barring on this test?

Just received my 2nd set of EG4 LP4 batteries 2 days ago. Working on top balancing now. Still waiting on the rack...(must be back order). The current version of the LP4 Battery has a better mounting brackets and the usb comm cable is nice.
View attachment 157359
I have 3-lp4's and 6-ll's. Ive never had to do any thing to them although I did add the comm., hub to the lp4's just as an added way to check them.

Personally I don't want or need grid assist, I just want to charge the batteries from grid when they need it. Either grid input or generator input, does not matter to me. And if it supplements the loads whilst charging and total input can be limited to the available power, so much the better.
Solark 12k could do this, seems like it should be a basic feature. Not sure if it is a firmware or hardware limitation.

Back