diy solar

diy solar

EG4 18kPV Q+A general thread

It's to bad SS didn't have select forum beta testers for new products before releasing to the public on a mass scale and needing multiple firmware revisions to keep everyone happy.
Not to be a dick, but the billion dollar Apple company has had like 3 updates on their flagship phone already.

This is how technology works now. Either quit or figure how to ride it out for a bit.

SS seems to be going above and beyond right now. I'm impressed, even while I'm waiting for my purchase and slightly grumpy because it's not here.

This shit is complicated and improving every day. That's life now. We can run our house on some rectangles in our lawn... This inverter is on the cutting edge. Take a deep breath, plan for the worst, and hope for the best.

Not to be a dick, but the billion dollar Apple company has had like 3 updates on their flagship phone already.

This is how technology works now. Either quit or figure how to ride it out for a bit.

SS seems to be going above and beyond right now. I'm impressed, even while I'm waiting for my purchase and slightly grumpy because it's not here.

This shit is complicated and improving every day. That's life now. We can run our house on some rectangles in our lawn... This inverter is on the cutting edge. Take a deep breath, plan for the worst, and hope for the best.
You're not being a dick, I'm just being my asshole self because I've seen this over and over again with every inverter they released, so far.

Was the phone sending power back through the power brick before the updates / were the updates to fix major issues making it inoperable?

I completely agree SS is trying and honestly think they are getting better, especially now that they have Lux to actively support them on the joint effort.

I fully understand it's complicated, I haven't had an electric bill since spring thanks to this amazing community. I've also taken a lot of deep breaths along the way. I guess I've just gotten really lucky with both my inverter purchases and not needing to or planning on any firmware updates.

This new setting is something you guys asked for and doesnt exsist on other hybrids but like i said we are listening and want to keep developing this product based on the customer.

So please keep sharing ideas and we will keep pushing for them
I totally missed the addition of the CT offset until a few hours ago.
Screenshot_20231003_211144_EG4 Monitor.jpg

This new setting is something you guys asked for and doesnt exsist on other hybrids but like i said we are listening and want to keep developing this product based on the customer.

So please keep sharing ideas and we will keep pushing for them
What ever came of my unit?

In the coming months I’ll be deciding on an inverter to install in our vacation home, I’d be happy to consider the 18k if it’s where it needs to be. Maybe there’s a happy ending to my story.

Using the Website "Monitor" page for EG4 18kPV.
Has anyone noticed (and I may be really late to this party) that the Grid Export counter at the top of the website doesn't match what gets reported in the bar graph at the bottom of the page? Also I have an external Brultech GEM which measures the same data and the top of the website seems to match but that bar graph appears to be wrong. This means that all the historical data is also wrong.

Bar graph matches between top of page and bar graph for Solar production and seems correct. I didn't check the other values reported in the bar graph.

I noticed this when I first connected using firmware 0E0E and now I have tried two other firmware including the latest and it still doesn't appear to work.

Has anyone noticed (and I may be really late to this party) that the Grid Export counter at the top of the website doesn't match what gets reported in the bar graph at the bottom of the page? Also I have an external Brultech GEM which measures the same data and the top of the website seems to match but that bar graph appears to be wrong. This means that all the historical data is also wrong.

Bar graph matches between top of page and bar graph for Solar production and seems correct. I didn't check the other values reported in the bar graph.

I noticed this when I first connected using firmware 0E0E and now I have tried two other firmware including the latest and it still doesn't appear to work.
The line graph is a snapshot of data once every 5 minutes.

If you are referring to the vertical bar graph ? at the very bottom, the numbers are the same as the data reported on the top.

Disregard my two comments above, since you use grid assist and I assume grid sell back.

(I understand what you are talking about. Unfortunately I don’t have any recent data that I can pull from monitor site)

I rarely have my 18Kpv connected to the grid.

From not having my monitoring software working for about a week while unit was running ive noticed the info at the top is based on what the inverter has seen and the graphs are from what the monitor has recorded. So if your monitor wasn't connected at some point the info could be slightly different.

So this started happening a few days ago. Comes and goes as it pleases. No changes in settings in a few weeks. Has been using little to zero grid for about a month. No breakers tripped. Yesterday it started working again in the afternoon. Sun is quite full so should be seeing around 6000W coming in from solar. Do I need to upgrade the FW?

1696958158881.png

and now a few minutes later
1696958330619.png

So this started happening a few days ago. Comes and goes as it pleases. No changes in settings in a few weeks. Has been using little to zero grid for about a month. No breakers tripped. Yesterday it started working again in the afternoon. Sun is quite full so should be seeing around 6000W coming in from solar. Do I need to upgrade the FW?

View attachment 171715
Do you have charge first activated?

Can you share your settings for charge and discharge?

Assume your CTs are connected or we wouldn't see grid.

Last edited:
I think this shows all the settings. No charge first, set for charge last. CTs are connected and working great. Has been working fine for weeks. Did trip a breaker about a month ago but nothing like that now. And it started working again too. Weird stuff (to me)!

1696958619644.png

1696958594084.png

I think this shows all the settings. No charge first, set for charge last. CTs are connected and working great. Has been working fine for weeks. Did trip a breaker about a month ago but nothing like that now. And it started working again too. Weird stuff (to me)!

View attachment 171720

View attachment 171719
you need a firmware update and charge last selected sets you up to not use your batteries hardly ever. Also charge according to time should be set for SOC or Voltage

you need a firmware update and charge last selected sets you up to not use your batteries hardly ever. Also charge according to time should be set for SOC or Voltage
Thank you! I'll upgrade the firmware and try disabling charge last. I had it disabled before but then found it was charging the battery and using the grid

Back