diy solar

diy solar

EG4 18kPV - String Calculations

This is the 18Kpv PV specs.

View attachment 172584

31 panels @ 450W is 13.95KW. That is below the max usable power... so that is fine.

For 8 panels (Single or double string) the VOC @ STD is 49.92 x 8 = 399V. This is well below the 600V max of the MPPTs. It is far enough below 600V that without even doing the calculation I can confidently say there is no cold temp issues. Furthermore, it will remain well within the MPPT voltage operating range.

Could you please provide Isc and Imp for the panels? We also need to know what the backside gain is. (My guess is it will increase the Isc and Imp proportional to the power gain... and they will show a gain of up to 25% )

Attachments

• Bluesun panels.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 3
Simplest setup is 10 in series on each MPPT and save 1 panel as a spare. Running two strings in parallel on MPPT 1 pushes you close to the 31 amp short circuit current limit, which is not helped as these are bifacial panels the gain from this will push the current higher and very close to this limit. 10 in series is safe to -43c/-45f, and is the most you want to have in series at your temperatures.

The need for optimizers will depend on the potential for shading in the location of you ground mount a

View attachment 172584

31 panels @ 450W is 13.95KW. That is below the max usable power... so that is fine.

For 8 panels (Single or double string) the VOC @ STD is 49.92 x 8 = 399V. This is well below the 600V max of the MPPTs. It is far enough below 600V that without even doing the calculation I can confidently say there is no cold temp issues. Furthermore, it will remain well within the MPPT voltage operating range.

Could you please provide Isc and Imp for the panels? We also need to know what the backside gain is. (My guess is it will increase the Isc and Imp proportional to the power gain... and they will show a gain of up to 25% )
I will attach the data sheet with all the info. I got a great deal on these panels that's why I went with them, not knowing what I was doing.

Attachments

• Bluesun panels.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 1
If you really want to use all 31 you could do, just make sure you don't reverse the polarity when wiring MPPT 1 as you are very close to the short circuit current limit with this config.

MPPT 1: 8s2p (you can use both inputs for MPPT 1, or combine at the array, but you will need to use 6 AWG wire if you do)
MPPT 2: 8s1p
MPPT 3: 7s1p

Or if you just want to use 30 panels, 10 in series on each MPPT

If you really want to use all 31 you could do, just make sure you don't reverse the polarity when wiring MPPT 1 as you are very close to the short circuit current limit with this config.

MPPT 1: 8s2p (you can use both inputs for MPPT 1, or combine at the array, but you will need to use 6 AWG wire if you do)

Or if you just want to use 30 panels, 10 in series on

Or if you just want to use 30 panels, 10 in series on each MPPT
The Array will be about 100 to 120 feet from the inverter, I thought on this inverter MPPT 1 had to be in parallel? forgive me I'm reading every day.

The Array will be about 100 to 120 feet from the inverter, I thought on this inverter MPPT 1 had to be in parallel? forgive me I'm reading every day.
Parallel isn't required, panels in series are required to get the voltage to the range where the inverter will operate. You don't have to use both inputs on MPPT 1, you can just use one input if you don't need both. That's why you can just use 10 in series, and have 1 panel as a spare, and not have to worry about mounting an odd number of panels. That distance won't be a problem.

View attachment 172584

ISC 530 535 540 545 550
13.72 13.79 13.86 13.93 14.00

IMP 530 535 540 545 550
12.83 12.90 12.97 13.04 13.11

Thank You

View attachment 172584

ISC 530 535 540 545 550
13.72 13.79 13.86 13.93 14.00

IMP 530 535 540 545 550
12.83 12.90 12.97 13.04 13.11

OK,
Here are the full specs of the panels.

1697509738091.png

for convenience here is the inverter spec again:
1697507694839.png
I am assuming 2 strings of 8 panels on Mppt1 1 string of 8 on MPPT2 and one string of 7 on MPPT3.

We already determined the Voc was not an issue. I won't rehash that.

Because these are bi-facial, we have to adjust Imp and Isc for the backside gain. They only give data for the smaller panel, but we can see that Isc and Imp increase proportionally to the power gain. (if the gain is 25% Isc goes up 25%).

Edit: Corrected my math. End result is the same.
Now we have to decide what to assume for backside gain. To be safe, we should assume the full 25% gain. Consequently, the Isc for the panel is 1.25 x 14A = 17.5

For MPPT 1 with two strings, that puts the array Isc at 2 x 17.5A = 38A THIS IS A RED FLAG because it is above the 31A limit!!!
For MPPT 2 and MPPT 3, the array Isc is 14A, under the 15A Limit.
I won't calculate Imp for this configuration because we know the configuration does not work.

Note: I calculated backward and a backside gain of only 11% will cause issues with 2 strings on MPPT1. It looks like these panels need to be limited to 1 string on all 3 MPPTs.

So what should we do? Let's look at 1 string of 10 panels on each of the 3 MPPTs.

We already know Isc is OK for a single string, but we have to recalculate Voc.

Voc will be 10 x 49.92V = 499.2V. That is just under the top of MPPT operating range and has over 20% headroom for the max voltage of 600V. That looks good so far but we need to look at the temp coefficient and cold temp gain.

1697507798484.png
With a low temp coefficient of -.26 and 20% headroom, it is doubtful there are any cold temp issues, but I looked it up in this resource and found that the configuration is good to something well below 41F (40C). (That is as low as the charts in the resource go)

So, 1 string of 10 of the panels on each MPPT will work. Great! However, we need to check Imp to see if there will be any clipping. (Clipping means that the MPPT will not use as much power as the panels can produce).

Assuming an array backside gain of 25%, the Imp for each string will be 13.11 x 1.25 = 16.3875. This is well under the 25A usable current of MPPT 1, but it is above the 15A usable current of MPPT 2 & 3.

This means that if the panels are producing at 125% of their rating, MPPT1 and MPPT2 will only use 15A of the available 16.4A. Working backward, clipping won't happen till the panels are producing at 14.4% greater than the STD rating. Personally, I would not worry about it.

Note: There was a lot of math and I tried to show my work to help teach. If you have questions about any of it, please ask.

EDIT: added the following
One more observation. With no backside gain, the panels are at 30x550=16500W. With only 10% backside gain, it will be at 18K and the mpps will start limiting any further gain. 30 of these panels matches the inverter capability quite well.

Attachments

• 1697503824597.png
    1697503824597.png
    85.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 1697506131114.png
    1697506131114.png
    14 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Can you clarify how MPPT1 works @FilterGuy? Can you have a single string that is nominally 25A or must that be split across both MPTT1 string connections so that each MPPT1 PV connection on the 18kPV is nominally only 12.5A? I'm trying to understand if you can parallel two strings at the array itself so you only have to bring single set of cables back to the 18kPV for MPPT1 or if you have to bring both strings back separately for MPPT1.

Can you clarify how MPPT1 works @FilterGuy? Can you have a single string that is nominally 25A or must that be split across both MPTT1 string connections so that each MPPT1 PV connection on the 18kPV is nominally only 12.5A? I'm trying to understand if you can parallel two strings at the array itself so you only have to bring single set of cables back to the 18kPV for MPPT1 or if you have to bring both strings back separately for MPPT1.

The MPPTs in the 18Kpv are wired like this:

1697510744770.png
It really doesn't matter if all the current comes in 1+ and 1- or if it is split between the two inputs. You can put all of the 25A into one of the two MPPT1 inputs.

Now we have to decide what to assume for backside gain. To be safe, we should assume the full 25% gain. Consequently, the Isc for the panel is 1.25 x 14A = 17.5

For MPPT 1 with two strings, that puts the array Isc at 2 x 17.5A = 38A THIS IS A RED FLAG because it is above the 31A limit!!!
Wouldn't the mppt1 input limit the input current ?
It is the maximum it can use, but I would assume the software of the algorithm would limit that.

Jeez, I think we continually overthink this. 18KPV max MPPT VOC is 600v, operating is 500v so a 100v buffer or around around 20% well under any temperature coefficient variances unless you are in the arctic or something (Down near -15C with a .5 most panels are even far lower). Panels are ~50v 500/50 = 10 so three strings of 10. If you have a pallet of 31 panels and it's killing you to leave out a panel, pick up a cheapo 48v MPPT for the odd man out. I saw a couple of 48v upconvert units under $100, just nail it to the batteries at 54v or something. Also will give you some experience with non AIO hardware. Actual operating voltage is likely to be in the mid 300's to low 400's at the highest. I've not seen anyone raving about their amazing bi-facial output. Reflected light in my experience is not very useful, but perhaps under ideal circumstances with a ground mount and a highly reflective under-surface, but I'd not bank on any of it. I'd love to see something with actuals on bi-facial output improvement.

Wouldn't the mppt1 input limit the input current ?
It is the maximum it can use, but I would assume the software of the algorithm would limit that.
Don't confuse the usable Imp with the Ioc Limit.

The Imp rating is just the max the MPPT can use. Going over it does not necessarily damage the MPPT
The Isc rating is a hard limit designed to prevent situations where the MPPT can be damaged.

During normal operations, the MPPT will limit the current to what it can use. However, there is a limit to the MPPTs ability to manage the situation, particularly in transitional states. If the inverter suddenly cuts off the charge current, the MPPT has to follow suit very rapidly. Between when the Inverter changes and when the MPPT can react there can be internal current surges and voltage spikes that can do damage. The manufacturers put hard limits on Isc, Voc, and total watts in order to ensure they can always manage these events.

Don't confuse the usable Imp with the Ioc Limit.
I searched for Ioc limit on this forum but this posting and another looking for specs on PV panels are the only ones that mention it.
I am not aware of the term Ioc limit, so would like to know more!

The Imp rating is just the max the MPPT can use. Going over it does not necessarily damage the MPPT
The Isc rating is a hard limit designed to prevent situations where the MPPT can be damaged.

During normal operations, the MPPT will limit the current to what it can use. However, there is a limit to the MPPTs ability to manage the situation, particularly in transitional states. If the inverter suddenly cuts off the charge current, the MPPT has to follow suit very rapidly. Between when the Inverter changes and when the MPPT can react there can be internal current surges and voltage spikes that can do damage. The manufacturers put hard limits on Isc, Voc, and total watts in order to ensure they can always manage these events.
So if an mppt input is rated for 3000 watt but you oversize it with 5000 watt but not get near the max current limit, it will not be a problem.
But being able to pull more current than the mppt has specified is a problem ?

OK,
Here are the full specs of the panels.

View attachment 172648

for convenience here is the inverter spec again:
View attachment 172643
I am assuming 2 strings of 8 panels on Mppt1 1 string of 8 on MPPT2 and one string of 7 on MPPT3.

We already determined the Voc was not an issue. I won't rehash that.

Because these are bi-facial, we have to adjust Imp and Isc for the backside gain. They only give data for the smaller panel, but we can see that Isc and Imp increase proportionally to the power gain. (if the gain is 25% Isc goes up 25%).

For MPPT 2 and MPPT 3, the array Isc is 14A, under the 15A Limit.
I won't calculate Imp for this configuration because we know the configuration does not work.

Note: I calculated backward and a backside gain of only 11% will cause issues with 2 strings on MPPT1. It looks like these panels need to be limited to 1 string on all 3 MPPTs.

So what should we do? Let's look at 1 string of 10 panels on each of the 3 MPPTs.

We already know Isc is OK for a single string, but we have to recalculate Voc.

Voc will be 10 x 49.92V = 499.2V. That is just under the top of MPPT operating range and has over 20% headroom for the max voltage of 600V. That looks good so far but we need to look at the temp coefficient and cold temp gain.

View attachment 172644
With a low temp coefficient of -.26 and 20% headroom, it is doubtful there are any cold temp issues, but I looked it up in this resource and found that the configuration is good to something well below 41F (40C). (That is as low as the charts in the resource go)

So, 1 string of 10 of the panels on each MPPT will work. Great! However, we need to check Imp to see if there will be any clipping. (Clipping means that the MPPT will not use as much power as the panels can produce).

Assuming an array backside gain of 25%, the Imp for each string will be 13.11 x 1.25 = 16.3875. This is well under the 25A usable current of MPPT 1, but it is above the 15A usable current of MPPT 2 & 3.

This means that if the panels are producing at 125% of their rating, MPPT1 and MPPT2 will only use 15A of the available 16.4A. Working backward, clipping won't happen till the panels are producing at 14.4% greater than the STD rating. Personally, I would not worry about it.

Note: There was a lot of math and I tried to show my work to help teach. If you have questions about any of it, please ask.

EDIT: added the following
One more observation. With no backside gain, the panels are at 30x550=16500W. With only 10% backside gain, it will be at 18K and the mpps will start limiting any further gain. 30 of these panels matches the inverter capability quite well.
I Have a better understanding now, that was a lot for you to explain and I really appreciate it. So, I will be doing 30 panels I really don't mind having a spare on hand. These 3 strings will be all in series just to make sure I understand correct. Thanks again.

Parallel isn't required, panels in series are required to get the voltage to the range where the inverter will operate. You don't have to use both inputs on MPPT 1, you can just use one input if you don't need both. That's why you can just use 10 in series, and have 1 panel as a spare, and not have to worry about mounting an odd number of panels. That distance won't be a problem.
Thank You for your help, I really appreciate it

Back