diy solar

diy solar

EG4 LL Battery Discharging and Charging Slower Than The Rest

The cells are welded to prevent issues with vibration, but don’t go too crazy!
Lol I won’t… I air down and go slow.
I don’t like breakdowns, towing and repair bills!!!!
? ???

But again, on the warranty please clarify re SS site page showing 5yr warranty.
Also, what all in one inverter do you sell that would be a good match for this 12v battery and in my use in the van?
I’ve looked, not found on your Site.

Attachments

• 4A70D108-E470-448C-9650-D9B450AB985B.jpeg
    4A70D108-E470-448C-9650-D9B450AB985B.jpeg
    119.1 KB · Views: 10
? ???

Also, what all in one inverter do you sell that would be a good match for this 12v battery and in my use in the van?
I’ve looked, not found on your Site.
Lifepower4 s 5 year, as described, EG4LL is 10 year as described

? ???

The ones that have the LCD display ($1749) have 10 years warranty.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220127-181422_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220127-181422_Chrome.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 5
Lifepower4 s 5 year, as described, EG4LL is 10 year as described
Please forgive my ignorance, why is it the 12v 5.12kwh server rack battery that is marked LL not offered with LCD screen?
And why 5 yrs less warranty in the absence of the LCD screen, is the chemistry not the same?
Thanks

I gotta say it‘s nice that Signature Solar participates in these discussions. One day soon, I’m going to drive up there for a pallet of panels and a few hundred lbs of batteries.

Thanks for the help guys.
I think @MisterSandals and @FilterGuy hit the nail on the head.
I did checks again with different loads and the current is always almost half that of the eFlex Batteries. I suspect it's because the Fortress eFlex batteries use an EV battery relay on the BMS to engage the power while the EG4 uses Mosfets. It is either that or the EG4 batteries internal resistance really sucks!

I did a thermal image and let me apologize in advance for not centering the temp on the hottest spot but there was only a 2deg C difference at the hottest point which is the LED at the Top Right which measured 27c. The two second warmest parts are the Terminals on the 250A breaker which was about 26C. You can see 5 wires on the bottom one and that is coming from the 4 batteries plus one small wire that goes to my Precharge resistor near the LED. The Top Terminal is where the 2/0 cable goes to the Inverter. On the left is the 4 Terminal 600A Victron Busbar.

BTW EG4 Battery terminals are totally cool at 24c. I will not bother posting a picture because there is no temp variations between the cool front panel and terminals.

Same measurement with the house being powered at around 3.5Kw.
20Amps from each eFlex Battery and 11 Amps from the EG4.
I now have mixed feelings about buying this battery.

View attachment 79874
Can you tell us more about this awesome camera?

Can you tell us more about this awesome camera?
It's a Flir One Pro for the iPhone.
That was not even a good picture. Here is one of my Soldering Iron station on the workbench next to some of my Instruments.
Soldering Iron.JPG

Nope! I know that is not the problem. All of the cable are the same length and the ends are all perfect and have been examined with a thermal camera. Even if I cut that one batteries cable length in half it would make less than a 1% improvement on the resistance seen.

I also talked to an Installer today who said he had put in about four of the EG4 batteries as additional batteries at various locations. I asked him did he see a Charge/Discharge difference and he said yes, it was about 3 times lower!
Then he said to me out of the blue that he thinks something is wrong with the cells as he is seeing all sorts of high values when they are charging. I told him I saw the same thing and he said oh well they are B Quality cells and for the price he really expected nothing else.
I mentioned the new SOK 48V packs and he said what does it cost, I told him the price and he said "More B Grade Cells". You cannot build a bank for that price with Grade A Cells.
Has anyone else looked into this further to confirm if these may in fact be grade B cells in both the signature solar eg4 as well as SOK?

Last edited:
Is anyone else looked into this further to confirm if these may in fact be grade B cells in both the signature solar eg4 as well as S OK?
that is a rather bold statement, especially if there have been noumerious tare downs that show grade a cell

funny how statements like these are frequently made by new member, in your case with the giant amount of 4 messages

that is a rather bold statement, especially if there have been noumerious tare downs that show grade a cell

funny how statements like these are frequently made by new member, in your case with the giant amount of 4 messages
How can anyone tell that they are Grade A Cells. I talked directly with one of the large battery pack manufactures and he confirmed what was stated in a Youtube video done by an ex employee from one of the big battery companies.
They come off the assembly line and are graded based on X-raying the battery and the tests done over a 30 day period to access their performance. It is only after the testing that they are Graded and then sold at values equivalent for the grading they received. An grade "A" does not look any different from Grade "B" and in many cases it may perform just as well but a Grade "B" but will have defects in the electrode cutting or have more or less electrolyte than what is specified. All of these defects can lead to a much shorter life span.

Last edited:

It was not a statement it was a question and if you look above you’ll see the person who overheard this opinion from an installer. Take a look at the dictionary and you’ll see proof of the error in judgement you made. I thought Yoda was supposed to be wise? LMFAO. Well based on your logic Robby who has more messages or posts than U should have more to say anyway and he is questioning just like I am.

Last edited:
Here is the Video, it's done by a Seplos employee that use to work at one of the big LifePo4 battery Manufactures in China.
His English is pretty bad but he gives you a good inside look of how the process works.

I am not sure how anybody who is not the direct purchaser would be able to tell if the cells they are buying are Grade A or B.
I know that the people who do buy batteries out of China have told me that the if the price is low it's Grade B or worst. It can also be used batteries that are buffed, re-sleeved and new plastic tops are put on to make them look brand new.

How can anyone tell that they are Grade A Cells. I talked directly with one of the large battery pack manufactures and he confirmed what was stated in a Youtube video done by an ex employee from one of the big battery companies.
They come off the assembly line and are graded based on X-raying the battery and the tests done over a 30 day period to access their performance. It is only after the testing that they are Graded and then sold at values equivalent for the grading they received. A grade "A" does not look any different from Grade "B" and in many cases it may perform just as well but a Grade "B" but will have defects in the electrode cutting or have more or less electrolyte than what is specified. All of these defects can lead to a much shorter life span.
This is 100% on point. As an end user, I'm not sure how you could check beyond looking for physical defects. That being said, we are sure our units have Grade A per manufacturing.

This is 100% on point. As an end user, I'm not sure how you could check beyond looking for physical defects. That being said, we are sure our units have Grade A per manufacturing.
well, you could simply ask for the manufactorer supplied test reports of the cells.
there are well known suppliers here that provide those

well, you could simply ask for the manufactorer supplied test reports of the cells.
there are well known suppliers here that provide those
Yes and almost all of the Electronic Test Equipment that I buy comes with a NIST certification for that particular unit. Unfortunetly I did not get any certificates with any of the battery packs that I have purchased. In theory each 48V pack should come with 16 certificates. These would have been automatically generated by the computers at the manufacturing site. The fact that they do not come with the battery brings up a lot of questions. Someone has that paper work. For me to get inside and find the numbers it would void my Warranty.

Last edited:
Yes and almost all of the Electronic Test Equipment that I buy comes with a NIST certification for that particular unit. Unfortunetly I did not get any certificates with any of the battery packs that I have purchased. In theory each pack should come with 16 certificates. These would have been automatically generated by the computers at the manufacturing site. The fact that they do not come with the battery brings up a lot of questions. Someone has that paper work. For me to get inside and find the numbers it would void my Warranty.
so ask for it, amy wan can and will happily supply it, and i suppose signature solar and their volume of selling could make it a requirement, if they should wish to do so

i am very sure ganfeng uses the same testing procedures as eve does

what i do find bothering, is that it seems every supplier like jakiper, sok or even signature solar seem to be open game to new members calling them liars , without much consideration

so ask for it, amy wan can and will happily supply it, and i suppose signature solar and their volume of selling could make it a requirement, if they should wish to do so
What would make me most comfortable is if it was something that had legal accountability behind it. If you have never been to China I can tell you from first hand experience that Certificates or any other written documentation is not worth the paper it is printed on. For any kind of level of confidence you have to be a large company dealing with another manufacturer who knows that you will be spending millions over the long term and then you have to have your own labs to verify samples from every delivery. At my last Job even with all of that in place every year or two they would try to cut corners on our products and we would hit back and let them know what was wrong and they would quickly send replacements and say it was a mistake.
I saw way to many obvious mistakes over the years.
i am very sure ganfeng uses the same testing procedures as eve does
Probably.
what i do find bothering, is that it seems every supplier like jakiper, sok or even signature solar seem to be open game to new members calling them liars , without much consideration
Well they have no status on the Forum so what are they going to do about it? They are using this place to make money and I guess they find it difficult to deal with Will as he is not a person that can be bought. Most product based forums that I am members of have a Product section where companies pay to have their own Sub forum. That Sub Forum typically cost $3000- $6000 per year for usage. Even then they are not immune to attack by members who post outside of their Sub Forum. The companies on here are getting the promotion for free. I am sure they would love to pay for a Sub Forum section but Will is not interested in that and I get why he is not.

BTW @Thundar was just asking a question he was not making a statement.

I'm having a problem with my EG4 some of the cells seemed unbalanced. After getting to 100% and then keeping the charge I have a few cells at 3.5v and two at 3.8v
Is this a problem?

EDIT: so after disconnecting the charger and letting the battery go to 99%, they're all balanced at 3.314

Weird why did it display 3.8 and 3.5 with the charger on?

diy solar

diy solar
Back