diy solar

diy solar

EG4 LL Battery Discharging and Charging Slower Than The Rest

dont be naive robby
Whats Naive about it?
If I buy a $1800 Spectrum Analyzer and straight out of the box it cannot conform to it's included NIST certification. The company will take back the Analyzer and send me a replacement.

What # cells have the higher voltage? I am curious if those are the first few on the string and it's just taking a minute to balance. As far as the 40mA, that's the balance parameter but it might take a few minutes to find that exact balance at a cell level and show correctly. I think that might be whats happening here but keep me posted.

I'm going from memory but I believe it was cell #5 and cell #15

I will research the logistics behind this. If it makes users happy and we can do it, we will.
Sounds like an excellent idea Richard! I am going to be in the market here in the next few months for purchase of my first server rack battery and if that tests out and does well I plan to buy at least 20 to 30 kW in the future. I’ve already got a growatt inverter and just received from sig solar a growatt mppt charge controller to expand pv from 5k to 7k total. Over paneling it for now as I just have a 100 an 48v fortune cell battery.

Here is the Video, it's done by a Seplos employee that use to work at one of the big LifePo4 battery Manufactures in China.
His English is pretty bad but he gives you a good inside look of how the process works.

I am not sure how anybody who is not the direct purchaser would be able to tell if the cells they are buying are Grade A or B.
I know that the people who do buy batteries out of China have told me that the if the price is low it's Grade B or worst. It can also be used batteries that are buffed, re-sleeved and new plastic tops are put on to make them look brand new.
Thanks for expanding the knowledge base here Robby And and helping me to not feel like a silly newbie simply because I am questioning quality of something I have not used before myself and it has little test reviews except for Will

You know, as someone who found this thread while posting a question about eg4 batteries before buying I gotta say it's REALLY cool to see people from said company paying attention to, engaging with, and troubleshooting problems.

You folks should have my order Friday next.

You know, as someone who found this thread while posting a question about eg4 batteries before buying I gotta say it's REALLY cool to see people from said company paying attention to, engaging with, and troubleshooting problems.

You folks should have my order Friday next.
And as you can see two months later and no additional info from company has been given.

And as you can see two months later and no additional info from company has been given.
Hey Robby, are you still dealing with this issue? I thought you had contacted our RMA department or were in talks with James, but if that's not the case I'll open a ticket on this for me to monitor. You are always free to also PM me, I hope my reputation on this forum lets you know that I'm good at finding creative solutions for people.

Hey Robby, are you still dealing with this issue? I thought you had contacted our RMA department or were in talks with James, but if that's not the case I'll open a ticket on this for me to monitor. You are always free to also PM me, I hope my reputation on this forum lets you know that I'm good at finding creative solutions for people.
Hi Richard the question is two fold and I have not seen an answer for the first one.
Do you guys have the certificates for the cells in the Packs so that we can see what their rating is. The second one was why do certain cells rise up to very high levels during charging. I had already been told by your Boss that I am out of luck on a warranty exchange because "Signature Solar does not warranty cells, only total battery capacity".

Last edited:
Hi Richard the question is two fold and I have not seen an answer for the first one.
Do you guys have the certificates for the cells in the Packs so that we can see what their rating is. The second one was why do certain cells rise up to very high levels during charging. I had already been told by your Boss that I am out of luck on a warranty exchange because "Signature Solar does not warranty cells, only total battery capacity".
I will try to find cell certs - I'm really not sure if we have these or if we can get them.
For the second part, I'll see what I can find out and do.

The second one was why do certain cells rise up to very high levels during charging.
I have the same situation with two of the three of my EG4 waterproof batteries. I posted screenshots of my batteries when charging to 57.6 on this thread:

One of my batteries seems to be pretty well top balanced but the other two seem way out of balance. I’ve had the two out of balance batteries both go into protected mode when charging to 57.6 because of cells running to 3.9 volts. Another forum member also has pm’d me about his doing the same thing when charging. One cell runs to 3.9 with at least a .300 mv deviation in the cells.

I have the same situation with two of the three of my EG4 waterproof batteries. I posted screenshots of my batteries when charging to 57.6 on this thread:

One of my batteries seems to be pretty well top balanced but the other two seem way out of balance. I’ve had the two out of balance batteries both go into protected mode when charging to 57.6 because of cells running to 3.9 volts. Another forum member also has pm’d me about his doing the same thing when charging. One cell runs to 3.9 with at least a .300 mv deviation in the cells.
What are your capacity test figures?

What are your capacity test figures?
Unfortunately I do not have the right equipment to do a fair and accurate capacity test. However, let's just assume they all rate slightly above their stated capacity, my main concern is how high some of the cells rise to when charging. These batteries are rated for 7000 cycles. I just have a hard time believing a cell will last that long if it is constantly reaching such a high voltage.

Every thing I read says you should not charge above 3.650v yet the bms in these batteries is set for 3.9v . Daily charging to over 3.650 just seems like it would cause premature failure in the high cells. What is your opinion? Shouldn't these batteries be balanced much better at the top before being assembled? I think so but as always I could be wrong.

Unfortunately I do not have the right equipment to do a fair and accurate capacity test. However, let's just assume they all rate slightly above their stated capacity, my main concern is how high some of the cells rise to when charging. These batteries are rated for 7000 cycles. I just have a hard time believing a cell will last that long if it is constantly reaching such a high voltage.

Every thing I read says you should not charge above 3.650v yet the bms in these batteries is set for 3.9v . Daily charging to over 3.650 just seems like it would cause premature failure in the high cells. What is your opinion? Shouldn't these batteries be balanced much better at the top before being assembled? I think so but as always I could be wrong.
I've actually noticed many name brand batteries have this "issue", so it never concerned me. Usually it will peak for a couple minutes then HVD will be triggered. Electrolyte breakdown for lifepo4 doesn't occur till higher voltages anyway, and the structural integrity of anode is not affected. I used to care about the voltage spike a lot till I realized most packs I test have it occur. I also notice that the BMS will tell me one voltage, but at the actual terminals it can be a little lower.

What I would do is track the capacity. The packs have a warranty and if you notice any dip in capacity, start a warranty claim.

Lipoly/NCA/NMC can't handle a voltage spike at absorption (chance of thermal runaway with cobalt based chemistries that can release oxygen and start the chain reaction) but I've noticed they don't have that issue. They are more linear soc curve and they rise and balance at high soc together. Lifepo4 is the only one where one cell spikes after knee of curve.

LTO is totally different, has wider voltage range and can handle over or under charging. It's wild. You can really abuse them and zero noticable effect recorded in future tests. Those always pull 20,000 cycles till 80%. Which is why I argued years ago that calendar aging would also kill those before cycling.

Anywho I wouldn't worry about the cell voltage spiking. Post some capacity test result data and if you have lower readings, then I would be concerned.

Last edited:
I've actually noticed many name brand batteries have this "issue", so it never concerned me. Usually it will peak for a couple minutes then HVD will be triggered. Electrolyte breakdown for lifepo4 doesn't occur till higher voltages anyway, and the structural integrity of anode is not affected. I used to care about the voltage spike a lot till I realized most packs I test have it occur. I also notice that the BMS will tell me one voltage, but at the actual terminals it can be a little lower.

What I would do is track the capacity. The packs have a warranty and if you notice any dip in capacity, start a warranty claim.

Lipoly/NCA/NMC can't handle a voltage spike at absorption (chance of thermal runaway with cobalt based chemistries that can release oxygen and start the chain reaction) but I've noticed they don't have that issue. They are more linear soc curve and they rise and balance at high soc together. Lifepo4 is the only one where one cell spikes after knee of curve.

LTO is totally different, has wider voltage range and can handle over or under charging. It's wild. You can really abuse them and zero noticable effect recorded in future tests. Those always pull 20,000 cycles till 80%. Which is why I argued years ago that calendar aging would also kill those before cycling.

Anywho I wouldn't worry about the cell voltage spiking. Post some capacity test result data and if you have lower readings, then I would be concerned.
I think one possible reason that you see this so often is that most of the cells your dealing with have no evaluation certificates so we can only assume they did not get a Grade A after their exams ? .
I know your buddy Dexter has some eFlex batteries, I suggest you try charging one of them while monitoring cell voltages. I think you will find that they almost have no deviation from cell to cell and if they do it is very small and balances out within minutes. The main thing is that they never go above 3.45V per cell when I use the charging figures that Fortress recommends. Using those same settings the EG4LL are all over the place, from 3.35 to 3.75V
and it's always the same cells that go high. I think this is due to one of those five manufacturing defects that is mentioned in that Seplos Video. IMHO because all eFlex cells are Tier 1 cells they all charge perfectly in sync.

Last edited:
how do we fairly measure the capacity of these units? Is there a standardized way we can agree on? Victron part...?

I'm down 600wh since purchase. But this is measured with a kill-a-watt, could be a rounding error or measurement error. I charge at 15-20% and discharge at 99%. Every 72 hours. For the past 4, 5 months.

Although I did catch a few cells spiking up above dangerous levels, I have not seen it do it in a few months.

It does seem to stay at 99% while charging for a long time... enough where I'm like "Ok that's it, done charging. can't wait all day"

how do we fairly measure the capacity of these units? Is there a standardized way we can agree on? Victron part...?

I'm down 600wh since purchase. But this is measured with a kill-a-watt, could be a rounding error or measurement error. I charge at 15-20% and discharge at 99%. Every 72 hours. For the past 4, 5 months.

Although I did catch a few cells spiking up above dangerous levels, I have not seen it do it in a few months.

It does seem to stay at 99% while charging for a long time... enough where I'm like "Ok that's it, done charging. can't wait all day"
I can only judge it based on what my Inverter is telling me is the total power used by all of the batteries from 100% SOC to 20% SOC and the numbers are what I would expect. Testing an individual 48V 100Ah pack would require some tools that I do not have.

I can only judge it based on what my Inverter is telling me is the total power used by all of the batteries from 100% SOC to 20% SOC and the numbers are what I would expect. Testing an individual 48V 100Ah pack would require some tools that I do not have.

Yeah, that's what I sort of did
I zero'd the killawatt at 100%. Then took the total kWh from the killawatt .... and multiplied it by 20% (1.20) for inverter inefficacy... but that could be 25% 35%. My victron is 375VA, and I'm near 250 watts... Then I waited until the battery went to 75%.. And multiple difference (100% -> 75% = 25% by 5.1kwh... compared to the two

probably extremely inaccurate.

the battery percentage indicator is not linear.

I think one possible reason that you see this so often is that most of the cells your dealing with have no evaluation certificates so we can only assume they did not get a Grade A after their exams ? .
I know your buddy Dexter has some eFlex batteries, I suggest you try charging one of them while monitoring cell voltages. I think you will find that they almost have no deviation from cell to cell and if they do it is very small and balances out within minutes. The main thing is that they never go above 3.45V per cell when I use the charging figures that Fortress recommends. Using those same settings the EG4LL are all over the place, from 3.35 to 3.75V
and it's always the same cells that go high. I think this is due to one of those five manufacturing defects that is mentioned in that Seplos Video. IMHO because all eFlex cells are Tier 1 cells they all charge perfectly in sync.
Oh goodness, you trust those "evaluation certificates"?? I would never! Lishen grade A cells looked fantastic on paper and were "grade a certified", but the welds on the corner of the case were awful, and lead to leaks.

The company issues these grades at their own discretion, and they should not be trusted. Ever. Grade A can be very relative depending on the company. Typically, brand new Gangfeng, CATL, EVE cells can be trusted, but you should go by people's experience here on the forum and elsewhere before trusting their silly little "certificates".

Also, I would take most cycle life data with a grain of salt. Especially for solar, where calendar aging will probably kill the cells long before cycling will.

Eflex fortress packs are fantastic, but their cells are not special. Same with valence and other more expensive brand packs. You will ALWAYS have a single cell that will deviate higher as the SOC rises. It is physically impossible to match lifepo4 cells 100%. Internal resistance or capacity. There is always a difference, cell to cell.

Now of course, grade b or used cells will have a larger deviation, and I understand the difference there. But one cell will raise in voltage first, no matter what the grade of the cell is. There is natural cell drift with every cycle, and you will have one reach 100% before the others.

EG4 has the same BMS as everyone else. Again, not special at all, and it is a fantastic BMS. It is all over the place? Can you post evidence of this difference in the firmware over time because I am not aware of it. What HVD threshold figures were programmed initially, and when did they change?

And the reason one cell is usually the culprit, but not always, in high quality and low quality packs, is because one cell will naturally have a slightly lower capacity than the others. And no matter how much you balance, it will show itself in due time. If you do not balance for a while and hang out around 50% soc, then do heavy shallow cycles in cold temps for example, that "trouble" cell will be first to have its voltage spike. That will always happen. Show me a battery where that does not occur, and I would be utterly amazed.

What matters at the end of the day is the capacity over time. If it fades quickly, you will know. And it can be measured. And if it is terrible degradation, you will get a brand-new battery pack. This is not referring to signature solar either, all of these manufacturers offer a similar or better warranty. They plan for it. We all know that 1 out of 1000 packs will have a bad cell no matter what manufacturer you use. Same with tesla cars and any other lithium ion based product.

Something else I wish to mention is the consistency of capacity test results of chins batteries and their clones. They are usually within .1Ah. These batteries are using the cheapest grade a cells around! Some companies told me they would never build with those cells. And they still pull fantastic figures. And people use them daily without issue. That is what matters most, do they pull full capacity and can you use them for decades. If people have a lot of issues with a pack, I will let the world know. The EG4 is using the same parts as everyone else. They are not special. It is cells in a steel box with a BMS that everyone else is using. I would not focus too much on their brand name when referring to them. I only care that if someone gets a bad pack, signature solar will refund them their money. Because it will happen, and it cannot be prevented.

Now everyone here needs to learn how a shunt works and do a cycle test every year or so to see how well their system is holding up. Use a victron shunt or whatever you please. Do a single cycle and see what figure you get.

Oh goodness, you trust those "evaluation certificates"?? I would never! Lishen grade A cells looked fantastic on paper and were "grade a certified", but the welds on the corner of the case were awful, and lead to leaks.

The company issues these grades at their own discretion, and they should not be trusted. Ever. Grade A can be very relative depending on the company. Typically, brand new Gangfeng, CATL, EVE cells can be trusted, but you should go by people's experience here on the forum and elsewhere before trusting their silly little "certificates".

Also, I would take most cycle life data with a grain of salt. Especially for solar, where calendar aging will probably kill the cells long before cycling will.

Eflex fortress packs are fantastic, but their cells are not special. Same with valence and other more expensive brand packs. You will ALWAYS have a single cell that will deviate higher as the SOC rises. It is physically impossible to match lifepo4 cells 100%. Internal resistance or capacity. There is always a difference, cell to cell.

Now of course, grade b or used cells will have a larger deviation, and I understand the difference there. But one cell will raise in voltage first, no matter what the grade of the cell is. There is natural cell drift with every cycle, and you will have one reach 100% before the others.

EG4 has the same BMS as everyone else. Again, not special at all, and it is a fantastic BMS. It is all over the place? Can you post evidence of this difference in the firmware over time because I am not aware of it. What HVD threshold figures were programmed initially, and when did they change?

And the reason one cell is usually the culprit, but not always, in high quality and low quality packs, is because one cell will naturally have a slightly lower capacity than the others. And no matter how much you balance, it will show itself in due time. If you do not balance for a while and hang out around 50% soc, then do heavy shallow cycles in cold temps for example, that "trouble" cell will be first to have its voltage spike. That will always happen. Show me a battery where that does not occur, and I would be utterly amazed.

What matters at the end of the day is the capacity over time. If it fades quickly, you will know. And it can be measured. And if it is terrible degradation, you will get a brand-new battery pack. This is not referring to signature solar either, all of these manufacturers offer a similar or better warranty. They plan for it. We all know that 1 out of 1000 packs will have a bad cell no matter what manufacturer you use. Same with tesla cars and any other lithium ion based product.

Something else I wish to mention is the consistency of capacity test results of chins batteries and their clones. They are usually within .1Ah. These batteries are using the cheapest grade a cells around! Some companies told me they would never build with those cells. And they still pull fantastic figures. And people use them daily without issue. That is what matters most, do they pull full capacity and can you use them for decades. If people have a lot of issues with a pack, I will let the world know. The EG4 is using the same parts as everyone else. They are not special. It is cells in a steel box with a BMS that everyone else is using. I would not focus too much on their brand name when referring to them. I only care that if someone gets a bad pack, signature solar will refund them their money. Because it will happen, and it cannot be prevented.

Now everyone here needs to learn how a shunt works and do a cycle test every year or so to see how well their system is holding up. Use a victron shunt or whatever you please. Do a single cycle and see what figure you get.
This is spot on the nose. We use Gangfeng cells but at the end of the day it's really the warranty you are buying for and the warranty is typically rated at total battery capacity. Will I'm sure has had his number of subpar batteries come his way and I'd like to think ours was one of the more highly rated ones (this isn't me selling, I'm just saying since we are the subject of this forum topic) and you'd be hard pressed to find many other people willing to go to the lengths I do to make people happy.

Seriously Will! You had a bad experience with Lishen cells leaking and that condemns the whole process of testing batteries for 30 days plus X-Raying , weighing them and measuring there electrical characteristics for inconsistencies? It's all useless in your opinion?
These kinds of certificates are how we are able to sustain work flow in the industry. It gives us confidence that the products we are using conform to the standards we expect. And NOBODY in the industry just follows them blindly. You would be a fool to be in the EV industry and not have several employees that randomly pull out packs in each shipment and run them on $10,000 machines to measure all of their electrical parameters etc. I would suspect they also will X-Ray some sample batteries and they are all weighed etc. The information is matched against the certificates and if it is not reasonably matched then the whole order will be further examined and most likely returned.

We certainly tested sample batches of all the products we had made. Pulling them apart and checking every component for substitutes and using microscopes to view soldering joint and traces for defects. We would even desolder large electrolytic capacitors and check them to make sure they met the specifications listed on the manufactures charts. We suspected labels could be fabricated on parts and this was actually tried on a few occasions

As for your Lishen cells leaking, that is probably not an issue that could be tested for. The battery probably pasts every test, it's just that the material holding the cell together is faulty or the chemical composition of the electrolyte is to corrosive. That is no different than the Capacitor Plague of the late 1990's when the market got flooded with bad Capacitors for 6 years from all the major Taiwanese manufactures.

I worked with those Capacitors and they tested normally and they worked normally but after the product was out in the public's hands for 1-2 years the Capacitors would start leaking all over the circuit boards.
It was found out almost a decade later that it was a faulty formula in the electrolyte that had been given to a Chinese Spy working at Rubycon in Japan. His job was to figure out why their capacitors were superior and when he realized it was the Electrolyte the company covertly let him get access to a formula, but it was actually a formula that they had failed testing because it had major long term issues. They knew he would take the formula back to China and Taiwan and pass it on to their competitors and that's exactly what he did. They then used the bad formula in all their capacitors for around 5 years and anyone who bought them ended up with lots of warranty returned items.

You keep saying that but is there any real world data that shows that to be true? I have seen a guy on here showing off an LFP battery bank that is 15 years old and it is still working fine.
Yes there is always a difference but that is a vague statement. The tolerance values in a matched set of cells used by a Tier one company will be very tiny as compared to a company that just randomly throws Grade B cells into a pack. You should charge up that eFlex and monitor the cells and then compare it with an EG4LL and see the difference. You will find the eFlex has a very slight deviation as it charges while the EG4LL has a huge deviation.
Yes at the end of the day the EG4LL balances out the cells but you have to wonder about the longevity of those cells that are always going high.
Yes one cell will always reach there first. What I don't expect is for three to get to 3.75V when the others are at 3.35V. I also don't expect it to be the same cells doing it all the time. That tells me that those cells are significantly different than the other ones in the pack.
I don't remember mentioning a firmware difference or any complaints about the BMS. I will have to look back through the posts.
The eFlex battery does not have that issue unless you want to nit pick. As I said it's all about matching and the tolerances that are accepted.
All the cells will have slightly different ESR and capacity but if they are all producing good numbers and then batched together properly it will be very small differences.
Agree but I would add that the warranty is only as good as the company that stands behind it. We have already seen threads hit 900 posts with one guy trying to get warranty service on a battery that simply did not work with his Inverter. I would hate to be trying to prove my capacity has dropped by 20% when a video of switching something on and it not working has been proven to be insufficient evidence to get warranty help.

Something else I wish to mention is the consistency of capacity test results of chins batteries and their clones. They are usually within .1Ah. These batteries are using the cheapest grade a cells around! Some companies told me they would never build with those cells. And they still pull fantastic figures. And people use them daily without issue. That is what matters most, do they pull full capacity and can you use them for decades
That's the big question! Lots of things work perfectly in the short term, but the long term is where the difference lies. I just finished working on my 14 Month old GE Washing Machine. Replaced a Burned out drain Pump and as soon as I put my ohm meter on it and got 9 ohms my heart sunk because the new pump measured 40 ohms.
Sure enough the motor control board is also dead. Why is it we can't make appliances that last anymore?
My old washing Machine lasted for 15 years with only minor issues.

. If people have a lot of issues with a pack, I will let the world know. The EG4 is using the same parts as everyone else. They are not special. It is cells in a steel box with a BMS that everyone else is using. --Snip-
Your swimming in batteries so I get your line of thinking, but for someone like me that wants a pack of batteries to last 10-12 years I am not going to turn a blind eye to so many leading people in the industry saying that cells in battery packs are not all the same. If it's anything like I suspect it is, I doubt that even one production run of packs is the same as another. I suspect it's all dependent on what batteries they can get for the price point they are trying to buy them at.
That's not as easy as you might think because these batteries are running the power in my house 24/7 and the Sol-Ark is constantly drawing power and putting back in power as the clouds pass over the PV.

Last edited:
Back