diy solar

diy solar

EG4 new AIO rated 12K output and 18kPV aka "EG4-18Kpv-12LV"

you are having 2 FET bridges (BMS and Inverter) fight each other because amperage/volt ramp-down really only works well with lead acid. the inverter is pretty responsive and high-powered on the software but BMS quality is always a question to go along with this. have seen this break cheaper inverters and BMS's, also skipping closed loop ends up in firmware regression sometimes as we cannot, and will not guarantee best operation without closed loop (e.g our train wreck 8kw review)

It's an ethernet cable, the setup is very simple. please do it lol
What about DIY LFP batteries (that lots of people have here) that don't have that convenient ethernet cable connection? Are you really going to void people's warranties because they do not have an EG4 battery?

I have never heard of anyone's inverter blowing up because they didn't have BMS comms set up. Plenty of oddities with BMS comms set up though (not necessarily with EG4 batteries, just speaking in general).

What about DIY LFP batteries (that lots of people have here) that don't have that convenient ethernet cable connection? Are you really going to void people's warranties because they do not have an EG4 battery?

I have never heard of anyone's inverter blowing up because they didn't have BMS comms set up. Plenty of oddities with BMS comms set up though (not necessarily with EG4 batteries, just speaking in general).
They could integrate REC BMS with the inverter, then you can have DIY batteries. There are a lot of new BMSs out there that support communication, even some of the new JBD's have RS485. Also they added support for a ton of different battery companies, SOK included, so you are not in any way trapped into using EG4 batteries specifically.

I sat in on a training call for these units this last week, and some of the most impressive features of the inverter benefit most from communications - for example, from what I understand, you can have two inverters in parallel with completely separate battery banks connected to each inverter that properly share the system loads to prevent from over-discharging one battery bank before the other.

And finally, yes, I've seen some MPP inverters blow up their fet boards when they were charging full tilt and a BMS decided to randomly disconnect and cause a voltage spike. Ask Ian from Watts 247 about it, he will gladly go on a rant.

I don't know if he will do it, but I asked @Will Prowse to do a battery-build video with a BMS that does closed-loop coms with an inverter. I think the people building batteries from cells would appreciate it.

Where is that statement from?
You have to click on the "Warranty Information" tab.

If I use JK BMS's that means I basically can't use the 18kPV?

You have to click on the "Warranty Information" tab.

If I use JK BMS's that means I basically can't use the 18kPV?
You can use it all day, you just forfeit your warranty.

Or is the warranty void only if the BMS was found at fault?

Reactions: HLB
You can use it all day, you just forfeit your warranty.

My concern would be if something actually breaks because BMS turns off for whatever reason which would not be uncommon. I don't think I've ever seen such a warranty exception on any other equipment. I was wondering why the manual also states that you need close loop communication. Is it designed such that any disconnection from battery unexpectedly under certain conditions causes damage?

we are open to comms with any bms our customers need, frankly they are an inbred family and odds are that they are already compatible, just have to try it out and fw update the bms possibly, this is a DIY bms mfr problem which we can supprt but they have to support and own the help

I sat in on a training call for these units this last week, and some of the most impressive features of the inverter benefit most from communications - for example, from what I understand, you can have two inverters in parallel with completely separate battery banks connected to each inverter that properly share the system loads to prevent from over-discharging one battery bank before the other.
Could these 2 separate battery banks be charged separately at different voltages or at lead different float or absorption voltages

For reference the manual states: "EG4® strongly recommends using closed-loop communications between your battery and inverter."

I could not find anywhere that states what BMS's are compatible or even batteries. Is that listed somewhere or must you only use the EG4 batteries with the 18kPV to have a warranty at this time? I did notice Will in his video specifically connected it only to an EG4 server rack batteries.

For reference the manual states: "EG4® strongly recommends using closed-loop communications between your battery and inverter."

I could not find anywhere that states what BMS's are compatible or even batteries. Is that listed somewhere or must you only use the EG4 batteries with the 18kPV to have a warranty at this time? I did notice Will in his video specifically connected it only to an EG4 server rack batteries.
I though he stated that he had comms connected with only two. I guess I just assumed it was his Jumbo battery pack with comm hooked up on only two of the batteries.

I have to say that I find this tidbit about not supporting / voiding the warranty when used with lifepo4 batteries without comms very disturbing. Especially considering my love of 12v batteries in series that don't have comms... :p

To avoid issues, like I had with Fortress power, I humbly suggest having a disclaimer stated very boldly that this inverter requires battery comms in order to have warranty coverage.

we are open to comms with any bms our customers need, frankly they are an inbred family and odds are that they are already compatible, just have to try it out and fw update the bms possibly, this is a DIY bms mfr problem which we can supprt but they have to support and own the help
So to ask my question again, is the warranty void if ANY battery without Comms is connected? For say a Daly BMS with no communications? Or is it only void if the damage is confirmed caused by the BMS with no Comms? Because if the screen burns out, and I send the unit back, but i never had a BMS with communication hooked up to it. I'd be pretty upset if it wasn't covered.

I have to say that I find this tidbit about not supporting / voiding the warranty when used with lifepo4 batteries without comms very disturbing. Especially considering my love of 12v batteries in series that don't have comms... :p

To avoid issues, like I had with Fortress power, I humbly suggest having a disclaimer stated very boldly that this inverter requires battery comms in order to have warranty coverage.
A reoccurring theme!
I had no idea why Fortress power said that there version would not be warrantied unless it is hooked up to Fortress Powers Batteries in closed loop. I wonder if the Inverter has issues with Voltage modes?

Yeah, doesn't make it a bad inverter necessarily, but this kind of stuff needs to be way out in the open.

I would also suggest @Will Prowse mention such requirements in his reviews if he is aware of them, at least until this becomes more of the standard, that voltage only modes are not supported/warrantied.

A reoccurring theme!
I had no idea why Fortress power said that there version would not be warrantied unless it is hooked up to Fortress Powers Batteries in closed loop. I wonder if the Inverter has issues with Voltage modes?
It shouldn't even have voltage modes if it doesn't warranty them, or it needs to be programmed to tell you, "Are you sure? This voids your warranty."

Honestly, it's a good question, have you read the warranty? Do you use batteries without comms?
None of my equipment is installed yet, but I am building batteries with seplos Bms, so I should have comms.
Just read the warranty, I see nothing about comms

Honestly, it's a good question, have you read the warranty? Do you use batteries without comms?
Warranties are here and only thing that remotely comes close which doesn't sound like it:
  • Incidental or consequential damage caused by other components of the power system

They also have document listing every battery they can communicate with and exactly how to here (even includes change log)
Looking at the Sol-Ark 15k manual I saw no reference to needing closed loop communication with battery and lists the voltages it uses for the charge profiles.

It does specifically state though that for a parallel/stacked Sol-Ark system they must use same battery whereas the EG4 18kPV as stated previously can use completely separate battery banks.

This issue with the comms on the EG418k gets me thinking..

What if I have an EG4 Chargeverter supplying power onto the bus bar?
What if I have other solar charger controllers supplying power onto the bus bar?
What if I have other inverters/loads besides the EG418k pulling power from the bus bar?
What if I have a battery with comms connected to the the EG418k but have other non comms batteries on the bus bar?

I see many situations where there are DC loads/supplies supplying power to the same bus bar / circuit that the EG418k is attached on. Is the only thing allowed on that circuit batteries with comms?

Last edited:
I just want a simple yes or no answer.
Is the warranty voided if communications are not used?
If no, then all is well.
If yes, then I will check it off my list of possibilities.

Sol-Ark:
Battery Agnostic
Sol-Ark inverters also do not have expensive battery restrictions like other solar inverters do, and can be used with a wide variety of 48V battery chemistries, from lead to lithium.

Now that said, Sol-ark lacks the functionality of having multiple, separate battery banks. There is a fine line where you trade compatibility with everything for added functionality.

diy solar

diy solar
Back