diy solar

diy solar

Enphase Backup Storage - DIY Self-Installer Hurdles

They take the whole pie! The cell modem includes a 5-year data plan with the cell provider. Maybe they get a kick-back from them?
And what do you get from the cell modem? 4 updates per day, otherwise the data plan would cost a lot more.
It is even worse: Enphase insists on the installation of a cell modem even in areas where there is no cell

phone service!!!!
The cell modem is only needed for commissioning. After that, it can be service-disconnected and all system data updates will be routed via a LAN or WiFi connection to the internet/Enphase cloud service, every 15 minutes.

The Enphase backup system will continue to function in an extreme communications black-out scenario, otherwise it would be useless.
This tells you everything you need to know why they insist on installing a cell modem! Enphase support can actual remove the cell modem commissioning requirement on an individual basis.

FWIW, I am tempted to develop a USB dongle that pretends to be an Enphase cell modem.
Hello

I self installed 30 Enphase IQ7a inverters on my ground mount system , commissioned same in October of 2022, so unless the rules have changed since then they did not require a cell phone connection for commissioning.

I took the online classes and am now a certified installer

Lastly, the Enphase combiner wifi connection died on Jan 15th of this year, went through troubleshooting, and they sent replacement board (the entire circuit board for the IQ combiner box) for zero cost.

So my warranty is fine.

Not trying to argue, just sharing my experience with Enphase commission process, and warranty as a self installer

I self installed 30 Enphase IQ7a inverters on my ground mount system , commissioned same in October of 2022,
I did the same in August of 2022. I did not take the class but had an earlier self install in 2019. No cell modem needed. Hardwired connection to Internet

Enphase micro-inverters can be installed and the IQ gateway can be setup and commissioned without the need for a cell modem.

Enphase support is excellent too, they have replaced all my failed M190 and D380 inverters in the past.

But when Enphase battery backup or sunlight-only backup is installed it get's more complicated and you need to pass certification for designing and installing such a system. On the Enphase website, there are mixed reports of how far Enphase is willing to go to enforce its own rules.
A cell phone connection is required for backup, but sometimes Enphase support allows an installer to proceed without the modem.

A unique situation here in Colorado are certain mountain regions where cell phone service is not available, so Enphase has waived the cell modem requirement.

Hello

I self installed 30 Enphase IQ7a inverters on my ground mount system , commissioned same in October of 2022, so unless the rules have changed since then they did not require a cell phone connection for commissioning.

I took the online classes and am now a certified installer

Lastly, the Enphase combiner wifi connection died on Jan 15th of this year, went through troubleshooting, and they sent replacement board (the entire circuit board for the IQ combiner box) for zero cost.

So my warranty is fine.

Not trying to argue, just sharing my experience with Enphase commission process, and warranty as a self installer
I think the cell modem is only required when installing a Solar Storage system. If it is just grid tied solar, it is not required. I'm not sure about the reason, perhaps they feel that with a battery system, the cell modem gives better service during an outage? Or maybe they are just money grubbing?

Enphase is the only backup system provider I know of requiring an additional cell modem for data transfer. All other backup systems I'm familiar with make cell modems optional in case the internet connection is not reliable. And when Enphase systems run on a cell modem, you'll get only 4 updates per day, one update every 6 hours instead of updates every 15 minutes via an internet connection. Doesn't make any technical sense to me, just another piece of bloatware.

What would make sense would be an optional off-grid satellite internet connection, decoupled from local regional disasters.
But we are not there yet!

Enphase micro-inverters can be installed and the IQ gateway can be setup and commissioned without the need for a cell modem.

Enphase support is excellent too, they have replaced all my failed M190 and D380 inverters in the past.

But when Enphase battery backup or sunlight-only backup is installed it get's more complicated and you need to pass certification for designing and installing such a system. On the Enphase website, there are mixed reports of how far Enphase is willing to go to enforce its own rules.
A cell phone connection is required for backup, but sometimes Enphase support allows an installer to proceed without the modem.

A unique situation here in Colorado are certain mountain regions where cell phone service is not available, so Enphase has waived the cell modem requirement.
Yes, I can confirm all of the above. I started out without a modem, and no batts. When the roll-out got further along, they pressed hard to have the modem up, although there was a moment when they considered making an exemption due to service fade. They also required a submission of a wiring diagram to provision the complete setup - as of y2022.

Enphase is the only backup system provider I know of requiring an additional cell modem for data transfer. All other backup systems I'm familiar with make cell modems optional in case the internet connection is not reliable. And when Enphase systems run on a cell modem, you'll get only 4 updates per day, one update every 6 hours instead of updates every 15 minutes via an internet connection. Doesn't make any technical sense to me, just another piece of bloatware.
I actually hit them with the requirement question during one call while internet was out. They were able to resolve the call solely on the cell comm. It took twice as long for them to connect, but without the cell I'd have to wait for internet service to return. They told me that cell modem exceptions are possible on a case by case basis.

Part #2: IQ8+ AC Coupled to XW Pro 6848:
Schneider XW Pro 6848: Firmware 2.04.00bn29
IQ Gateway: Software 7.3.120
IQ8+: (4 total) Firmware 521-00005-r05-v02.48.01
Grid Profile: IEEE 1547-2015 (Colorado default)
PV Amp Meter (CT): PZEM-022 AC Current Voltage Amperage Power Energy Panel (AC Volt, AC Amp, Frequency (Hz), PF)

Off-Grid Test:
4 x IQ8+'s take about 5 min 15 sec for the micro-inverters to lock on to the micro-grid
4 x IQ8+'s produce about 1.2 kW = 4 x 299W
SOC 100%: XW Pro raises frequency by 1 Hz to 61 Hz, IQ8+'s shut off within 1-2 seconds.
XW Pro frequency back to 60 Hz, IQ8+'s stay off
SOC drops to about 99%: IQ8+ inverters lock-on again after 5 min and 20 sec.
works with or without IQ gateway connected

On-Grid ... Grid-Fault/Off-Grid ... On-Grid Test:
Grid Voltage: 249V
4 x IQ8+'s take about 5 min 15 sec for the micro-inverters to lock on to the grid
about 1.2 kW PV flows into the grid and into the batteries
On Grid-Fault: IQ gateway reboots, micro-inverters switch off
Inverter Voltage: 240V, about 9v less than grid, IQ8's log change in voltage
After about 4.5 minutes, the IQ8's lock on to the micro-grid and produce 1.2 kW
Grid-Back: IQ8's switch off, lock on after 4.5 sec and produce 1.2 kW
This is fantastic! Did you AC couple to (on XW's) AC1 or AC.Out?

Last edited:
Great feedback on the cell modem. Enphase will wave the requirement if you make a convincing case, like no cell service in your area!

Testing was done on AC Out. Will try AC1, should work by connecting AC2 to the micro-grid and we'll get EPO disconnect for free with the AC1 relay. The XW Pro will still produce power on the AC (load) lines, but they are not the be used anywhere. Actually, the AC (load) lines will give you UPS power no matter what the EPO dictates, but local fire code may not allow this mode of operation. The XW Pro behaves like a grid-tied inverter that should disconnect AC1 when the micro-grid voltage goes down, continuing to produce power on AC (load). Using AC2 (Gen) is a work-around by SE to use the AC2 grid sensing transformers because they have no isolated AC Grid voltage sensing transformers available on the AC relay board, so SE sacrifices the Gen AC2 port for grid sensing.

If you stack only 2 XW Pro's you won't need an external contactor. With the built-in surge capability of the 2 stacked XW Pro's, they can route/make up to 120A by parallel stacking. The built-in XW Deltron relays will need to carry that much current only under extreme backup load and very low Enphase SOC. Your main goal is to supplement/augment battery energy/storage and provide surge capability, both of which Enphase can't do beyond your maxed out system. Unless this extreme surge happens several times per day with EPO disconnect happening at the same time, you won't have any problems with XW Pro relay arcing. You are using the XW Pro as an AC battery, relays connected all the time, except during an EPO emergency shutdown. The more I analyze your setup, the more I think you could stack up to 4 units without an external contactor at all.

A Note of Caution:
You basically have two independent backup systems, that synchronize themselves if switched on in the right sequence.

Case 1: Enphase is switched on first, becomes the micro-grid reference source, XW is connected second, will micro-grid-tie and sync to the Enphase primary AC voltage, inject power into the micro-grid depending on XW battery SOC. Enphase is the grid generator, XW is the grid follower. This should be your "normal" mode of operation.

Case 2: XW Pro is switched on first, becomes the microgrid reference source, Enphase is connected second, will micro-grid-tie and sync to the XW Pro primary AC voltage. XW is the grid generator and Enphase is the grid follower. XW Pro may perform FW to curtail power production. Not sure if it will work with no load and not sure how Enphase backup will respond. Not sure if it will work at all.

Case 3 - Caution: Disconnect the XW Pro breaker and switch on both systems. They both produce AC, but unsynchronized. Connect a volt meter or a 240 V Neon indicator between Enphase L1 and XW Pro AC(out) L1, basically across the open breaker. You'll see voltages slowly vary from 0 to 240 V and the Neon light vary dark to bright as the phase between the 2 systems shifts in and out of sync. You might consider installing a red Neon light permanently just to be safe, if it's red the 2 systems are out of sync.
When the voltage difference is 0 it is safe to connect both systems, when it is at 240V you could trip the breaker or worse damage the inverters.
Always switch off the XW Pro before disconnecting the breaker. Close the XW Pro breaker and then startup the XW Pro.

You are setting up a very interesting system to augment and extend an Enphase backup system with non-Enphase backup configured as AC batteries. Should also work with other hybrid battery backup inverters like Outback, Tesla Powerwall, FranklinWH, EP Cube, Sol-Ark, LUX Power, SunGoldPower, GroWatt and others.

Great feedback on the cell modem. Enphase will wave the requirement if you make a convincing case, like no cell service in your area!

Testing was done on AC Out. Will try AC1, should work by connecting AC2 to the micro-grid and we'll get EPO disconnect for free with the AC1 relay. The XW Pro will still produce power on the AC (load) lines, but they are not the be used anywhere. Actually, the AC (load) lines will give you UPS power no matter what the EPO dictates, but local fire code may not allow this mode of operation. The XW Pro behaves like a grid-tied inverter that should disconnect AC1 when the micro-grid voltage goes down, continuing to produce power on AC (load). Using AC2 (Gen) is a work-around by SE to use the AC2 grid sensing transformers because they have no isolated AC Grid voltage sensing transformers available on the AC relay board, so SE sacrifices the Gen AC2 port for grid sensing.

If you stack only 2 XW Pro's you won't need an external contactor. With the built-in surge capability of the 2 stacked XW Pro's, they can route/make up to 120A by parallel stacking. The built-in XW Deltron relays will need to carry that much current only under extreme backup load and very low Enphase SOC. Your main goal is to supplement/augment battery energy/storage and provide surge capability, both of which Enphase can't do beyond your maxed out system. Unless this extreme surge happens several times per day with EPO disconnect happening at the same time, you won't have any problems with XW Pro relay arcing. You are using the XW Pro as an AC battery, relays connected all the time, except during an EPO emergency shutdown. The more I analyze your setup, the more I think you could stack up to 4 units without an external contactor at all.

A Note of Caution:
You basically have two independent backup systems, that synchronize themselves if switched on in the right sequence.

Case 1: Enphase is switched on first, becomes the micro-grid reference source, XW is connected second, will micro-grid-tie and sync to the Enphase primary AC voltage, inject power into the micro-grid depending on XW battery SOC. Enphase is the grid generator, XW is the grid follower. This should be your "normal" mode of operation.

Case 2: XW Pro is switched on first, becomes the microgrid reference source, Enphase is connected second, will micro-grid-tie and sync to the XW Pro primary AC voltage. XW is the grid generator and Enphase is the grid follower. XW Pro may perform FW to curtail power production. Not sure if it will work with no load and not sure how Enphase backup will respond. Not sure if it will work at all.

Case 3 - Caution: Disconnect the XW Pro breaker and switch on both systems. They both produce AC, but unsynchronized. Connect a volt meter or a 240 V Neon indicator between Enphase L1 and XW Pro AC(out) L1, basically across the open breaker. You'll see voltages slowly vary from 0 to 240 V and the Neon light vary dark to bright as the phase between the 2 systems shifts in and out of sync. You might consider installing a red Neon light permanently just to be safe, if it's red the 2 systems are out of sync.
When the voltage difference is 0 it is safe to connect both systems, when it is at 240V you could trip the breaker or worse damage the inverters.
Always switch off the XW Pro before disconnecting the breaker. Close the XW Pro breaker and then startup the XW Pro.

You are setting up a very interesting system to augment and extend an Enphase backup system with non-Enphase backup configured as AC batteries. Should also work with other hybrid battery backup inverters like Outback, Tesla Powerwall, FranklinWH, EP Cube, Sol-Ark, LUX Power, SunGoldPower, GroWatt and others.
Yes, I definitely got the same vibe on the Enphase cell modem exception scenario.

I tested successfully on AC.Out as well (possibly a bad version of Case3 scenario - more on that later). With the XW transformer buzzing so much, (XW covers removed during testing) I instinctively attribute as a negative scenario and having recently blown out 2 Mean Well PSs, I'm more jumpy than usual. (I wrongly assumed that they had current limiters on them. Oh, well. Got to learn the hard way I suppose.)
I am thinking the same way as you regarding AC1 & AC2. Yes, I total above 60A to live without sacrifices, so definitely two XWs minimum. Case in point, all is well and out of nowhere the water heater decides to go wild at 4.6kW on both legs on top of everything else going on. With a XW pair, I can DC load up to 78.15kWh per XW given the units I now have and possibly keep both banks isolated or DC couple them - will worry when I get there. (I plan to charge limit each box's BMS perhaps to .1C +/-)

Yes - 2 independent systems - agree 100% and sync is my kryptonite. Its been on my mind from the start.
Case 1 is my preferred method and this is the one I originally envisioned, although ideally it would be dope to fool Enphase on its grid input to think its "on-grid" (I'm willing to abandon that wiring idea if necessary. Additionally. there is a new annoying 240v 10A rush out for 10 seconds when grid contacts close, despite no-export on grid-in with v7.3.120.221013 GRID PROFILE IEEE 1547:2015, No Export-WHB). If the XW needs to charge, Enphase will simply see another load and won't freq. shift so long as "a load" exists on the circuit. With this idealized approach, I don't think I have to get fancy with the freq. business (timing, freq. response-charge profile, etc.). From that follows, if the Enphase batts need juice at night (which they defintely will) the XW would act as an AC source since it will see a load on the wiring. I may be wrong, but it feels safe enough to test this out on AC1 at this point.

I suspect that case 3 in a bad way was happening on my AC.Out tests since I wrongly understood the XW will freq. sense, then match on AC.Out when Enphase was connected. The Enphase ecosystem seems to be quite robust and I have erroneously gone out of phase a few times on itself (batteries can be introduced into the system independently of already live ones with a brain after along day or at 2:32AM). For obvious reasons I do not want to push my luck there anymore. The Enphase logs will scream when you introduce out of phase sources - no scopes necessary :)

Now, to ease some pain per P.59 of https://solar.se.com/us/wp-content/uploads/sites/7/2023/02/990-91227F-01.pdf I can "Enable or disable grid-forming functionality." & P.60 "Backup Mode Settings" to make the XW an Enphase follower. I will double check with Schneider via email on this as a sanity check. This is showing promise & has the potential of throwing the freq. shift can with the worms out the window.

For an additional peace of mind, say in vacation mode, I can fully power down the XW with its batts, empty out the fridge and go into super low power down mode to survive solely on Enphase.

Our installer completed installation of IQ8+ pv system with combiner box 4 (not 4c) just last week. so i can confirm cell modem was not needed. if using IQ8+ it requires combiner box 4/4c it does not work with old combiner box 3.

its a grid tied system
Now i am looking for suggestions on off grid solution during the power outage. does connecting the generator to main panel with interlock kit help trick the enphase IQ8+ to produce power during sunlight. am i missing something?

my long term plan is to have batteries backup with inverter. still doing research on compatible system. dont want to spend more on Enphase anymore

appreciate your response and suggestions.
One thing that most people do not understand about micro inverters is that they pretty much have only one speed. Full blast. They are designed to push as much power as possible back on to the grid. So when you are on the grid that is fine, because that is what the inverters are supposed to do. When you are running a generator, the solar panels will attempt to export power into the generator. Smoke will occur.

Now if you have a hybrid inverter that is designed to AC couple with micro inverters. It can capture that power and store it in the batteries. When the batteries get full it knows how to tell the inverters to ramp down. Generators do not have batteries to store power into. They also don't know how to tell the micros to ramp down the power.

searched youtube but did not find any solid reviews on AC coupling with IQ8's. couple people have tried with solark which is very expensive to even give it a try.

worst case i will have EG4 inverters and batteries with out PV.

Schneider XW Pro inverters are working with IQ8 micro inverters now. Depending on the size of the system you are tryin g to AC couple 1 or 2 of the inverters will probably do the job. The large EG4 18KPV AIO might be a good option too. The Schneider does everything I want and need, but some people are having issues with the software if they are trying to do TOU sifting. The biggest issue might be that for 2 inverter system with PDP panel and batteries you end up with a wall of equipment. The EG4 18KPV AIO has a very nice package where you can install it on top of it's matching battery. A very serious system that doesn't take up too much space.

The issue that needed to be fixed turned out to be the Enphase firmware. I suspect the IQ8s will now work with most of the major hybrid inverters.

how does an AC coupling capable inverter detect when to start throttling by frequency shifting ? grid-tie AC voltage rise ?

An AC coupled hybrid inverter can only control the frequency when it is off-grid. It will start to frequency shift as its battery starts to get full. The excess power produced by the PV inverters would normally flow out to the grid. This is not possible when running off grid. Then it needs to be sent to the battery. When the battery gets full the hybrid inverter will ramp the production down on the PV inverters by increasing the frequency.

I have written more on the issue here:

Do we know how widespread cross-vendor AC coupling actually is?
This is my solution to avoid over producing PV when off-grid.

If you are talking about AC coupling, Enphase does not have a choice. AC coupling from the perspective of the grid following inverter is driven by the response dictated by CA Ule 21 And UL1741SA. My experience is it is the grid forming inverter that that usually has the issues.
Until a recent firmware update, IQ8 inverters would not produce power when running off grid. Enphase fixed the issue a couple months ago.

Back