diy solar

diy solar

EVE identifies Grade B cells using new marking Method [Reposting from General]

I haven't purchased yet.... The last photos they sent were of cells with bare terminals... There is a cheaper option as well (attached)
Docan only has CATL in TX currently.
Thanks for posting this, $88/cell is good but they want $425 to ship to the US? I saw that DOCAN only has CALB 230Ah in US stock for $120/cell and free shpd..

What is your source of information? Can you please share a few links, so I can educate myself?

I'm not going to start a Docan bashing thread as I have not owned any of there cells, but scroll to pages on the DIY section, spend the time to review this, however just search for 280K to find out more.
I haven't purchased yet.... The last photos they sent were of cells with bare terminals... There is a cheaper option as well (attached)
Docan only has CATL in TX currently.
What the heck is LEVS grade or whatever???

If it doesn't have a manufacturer report its grade B, don't fall for the magical grades vendors make up. I thought Gobel was selling EV grade... guess not they are just selling grade B like everyone else.

I'm not going to start a Docan bashing thread as I have not owned any of there cells, but scroll to pages on the DIY section, spend the time to review this, however just search for 280K to find out more.

My question was about the CATL fake QR codes. 280K is the EVE model. It actually is LF280K IIRC. The CATL one is CB310 (280Ah). And there is almost no information for them in the forum.

But I got the idea. Thank you for the clarification. I'll look a bit more in the forum.

If it doesn't have a manufacturer report its grade B, don't fall for the magical grades vendors make up. I thought Gobel was selling EV grade... guess not they are just selling grade B like everyone else.
GOBEL Identify what they cell as grade 'B'

1667366869793.png

GOBEL Identify what they cell as grade 'B'

View attachment 118795

At least they tell you it is marked with a B. I give points for not trying to hide/deceive that point.
These would be good for solar storage, low C rates. Just plan on them averaging about 270AH capacity and it is quite cost effective (depending on shipping of course).

Yes honestly vendors just need to state what they are and the market will decide. Grade A and B can get along just fine as long as grade B doesn't mascarade as being grade A

I'm assuming the match the capacity based on there description of the LEVS.
Agreed still B grade...

Thanks for posting this, $88/cell is good but they want $425 to ship to the US? I saw that DOCAN only has CALB 230Ah in US stock for $120/cell and free shpd..
Yes, shipping seemed excessive.
I'd recommend emailing Docan for accurate quotes.
The prices I was quoted for EVE cells shipped from China is very attractive, nearly 25% cheaper than the grade A from 18650... (referencing 230ah cell pricing)

There is no grade A or B LiFePO4 cell standard. There is an Automotive cell standard. That's it.
So if a vendor says he is selling Grade A cells, he is. Because he gets to make that statement and base it on his standard.

There is no grade A or B LiFePO4 cell standard. There is an Automotive cell standard. That's it.
So if a vendor says he is selling Grade A cells, he is. Because he gets to make that statement and base it on his standard.
I believe what hes saying is they are not the top grade cells which would be automotive grade they are often built for... anything else would be B grade or lower regardless of semantics and terminology used. There is no enforced standardized grading system in most things that are graded by sellers or manufacturers... Take a look at used cell phones or smart watches on ebay for example... The sellers all have their own grading systems which mean something... just not necessarily the same thing across the entire industry or than A grade which is typically perfect functionally and cosmetically and sold at a premium..
I supposed he would be more correct if he just called them flawed cells? to me that sounds worse because they could still be just as good functionally depending on use.

Last edited:
I believe what hes saying is they are not the top grade cells which would be automotive grade they aspire to be built for... anything else would be B grade or lower regardless of semantics and terminology used. There is no enforced standardized grading system in most things that are graded by sellers or manufacturers... Take a look at used cell phones or smart watches on ebay for example... The sellers all have their own grading systems which mean something... just not necessarily the same thing across the entire industry.
LiFePO4 batteries are either Automotive grade or Failed grade. EVE has branded their failed Cells with a B. No other manufacturer has done this to date. I think its a good thing they did the B branding. Just means it is a failed EVE LiFePO4 automotive cell, however. Generally they are sold at auction to the grey market in china, for resale to anyone interested in buying them, thru a third party seller (Chinese Grey market LiFePO4 cell seller). Anything beyond this terminology is market hype.

Just buy from whoever you can return locally with in your country is the safest bet. I don't think going buy grade A or grade B is good enough, the seller needs to stand behind what they sell
The issue is that the cells that fail initial scans are likely to fail at around the 5-6 year mark. (less than half the life of a good cell) There is no way you are getting any warranty support after 6 years.

People have been selling “B” grade cells since the beginning of LiFePO4. I’ve never seen any if these cells go the distance.

I have no idea what you are basing your expectations on - but it certainly isn’t real world experience.

See how many people you can find that purchased “seconds” CALB SE cells prior to 2016 that are still happy with their decision.

The main problem with the internet is that those who get it wrong disappear, and those who get it right eventually get sick of trying to remind people that what they are doing isn’t going to end well.

I’ve literally been passing on the information i received directly from the manufacturer of my cells for 11years. The whole time other people that have “seen it on the internet” have been telling me i’m wrong. One by one they disappear from the forums as their batteries fail early.

I see the same thing happening here with parallel top balancing and using seconds while expecting the performance of new cells.

The obvious conclusion to me is most people will end up assuming a 6 year life is acceptable. This will suit the sellers of B grade cells perfectly.

The issue is that the cells that fail initial scans are likely to fail at around the 5-6 year mark. (less than half the life of a good cell) There is no way you are getting any warranty support after 6 years.

People have been selling “B” grade cells since the beginning of LiFePO4. I’ve never seen any if these cells go the distance.

I have no idea what you are basing your expectations on - but it certainly isn’t real world experience.

See how many people you can find that purchased “seconds” CALB SE cells prior to 2016 that are still happy with their decision.

The main problem with the internet is that those who get it wrong disappear, and those who get it right eventually get sick of trying to remind people that what they are doing isn’t going to end well.

I’ve literally been passing on the information i received directly from the manufacturer of my cells for 11years. The whole time other people that have “seen it on the internet” have been telling me i’m wrong. One by one they disappear from the forums as their batteries fail early.

I see the same thing happening here with parallel top balancing and using seconds while expecting the performance of new cells.

The obvious conclusion to me is most people will end up assuming a 6 year life is acceptable. This will suit the sellers of B grade cells perfectly.
I hope your very wrong. I need to get a lot longer than 6 years out of my CATL cells I just got from Docan. Before these cells I purchased 5 year old used NMC cells (for roughly same cost as the CATL cells) that I just sold that still had 90% capacity after 7 years years and still seemed to have many many years remaining and stayed perfectly in balance.

I only fully cycle every 3 days or so. Email from Docan says 6k cycles for these cells. That means I have 20+ years.. the eg4 batteries are warrantied very well and say 7k cycles and also use the “B” grade cells

Last edited:

I have some xuba cells, they are testing 258/280 that is just after 2 years and with 15 cycles, I made a thread about it. So I suppose it depends on what you mean by fail... fail as in they are dead dead or fail as in they will be less than 80%. Because at its current rate By November 2023 I'll be in the 240s, no way I'm getting those 2000-3000 cycles, I'll be lucky to get 200-300 cycles out of these.

I hope your very wrong. I need to get a lot longer than 6 years out of my CATL cells I just got from Docan. Before these cells I purchased 5 year old used NMC cells (for roughly same cost as the CATL cells) that I just sold that still had 90% capacity after 7 years years and still seemed to have many many years remaining and stayed perfectly in balance.

I only fully cycle every 3 days or so. At 6k cycles these cells are supposed to have going by the email from Docan, I have 20+ years to come from these cells.. the eg4 batteries are warrantied well and say 7k cycles and also use the “B” grade cells

I really want to see how this EG4 thing plays out, they are offering a hell of a warranty, one that even exceeds the manufacturers specs (GanFeng), perhaps its one of those, 95% of gym memberships are not used so they subsidize the 5% of the people that actually use it.

I only fully cycle every 3 days or so. Email from Docan says 6k cycles for these cells. That means I have 20+ years.. the eg4 batteries are warrantied very well and say 7k cycles and also use the “B” grade cells
The early Pylontechs had a long warranty, how did that work out?
I have some xuba cells, they are testing 258/280 that is just after 2 years and with 15 cycles, I made a thread about it. So I suppose it depends on what you mean by fail... fail as in they are dead dead or fail as in they will be less than 80%. Because at its current rate By November 2023 I'll be in the 240s, no way I'm getting those 2000-3000 cycles, I'll be lucky to get 200-300 cycles out of these.
Once LiFePO4 gets to 80% original SOC, it’s time to discard it if you are using anything close to rated current.

The early Pylontechs had a long warranty, how did that work out?

Once LiFePO4 gets to 80% original SOC, it’s time to discard it if you are using anything close to rated current.
2 of xuba are just crap, Even though I tested 258/280 I can not push them harder than 70 AMPs or they start going into the 2.9-2.8 and trigger low cell voltage on the overkill bms.

I hate them so much, so much. 1 Day i'm just going to shot them with my cross bow....?

2 of xuba are just crap, Even though I tested 258/280 I can not push them harder than 70 AMPs or they start going into the 2.9-2.8 and trigger low cell voltage on the overkill bms.

I hate them so much, so much. 1 Day i'm just going to shot them with my cross bow....?
Make a video of that target practice and post it here when yo do it....

Back