diy solar

diy solar

Feast or Famine, The off grid solar dilemma.

Although the afternoon was not perfect sunny skies, like the morning portended for the day, I still managed to get in a couple of hours heating my water for my shower. It was great though now my cats are afraid of me since I don't smell quite right.
I don't often wish for rain but I put out 4 tons of fertilizer Tuesday because there was a good chance of rain Wednesday. Didn't happen. Now I need some rain! Not much again until next week. But that's how it usually goes.

I'm considering tankless and other options. I'm going to over think this one to death since I know if I screw up its going to be a mess one way or another. Either wasted money on parts or pain on install.

I'm considering tankless and other options. I'm going to over think this one to death since I know if I screw up its going to be a mess one way or another. Either wasted money on parts or pain on install.

What a lot of people don't realize about tank less water heaters is they require a minimum amount of water flow before they will begin to heat. I haven't keep up with tank less water technology so maybe some newer models have over come that limitation.
That problem reminds me of a repair call from my handyman days where a customer complained that her downstairs shower wouldn't get hot water anymore but her upstairs still did. I told her because she had a on demand water heater it was a most likely a low flow issue and was probably a piece of debris in her shower head.
She didn't believe me because she didn't perceive a reduction in water flow and insisted that it couldn't be so simple. So I said let take a look at the shower head and see what I find. As I suspected there was a tiny piece of something in it and since I had it off I also removed the water saver valve from the inside of the shower head to help insure better water flow and hot water when needed.

That's a good option but it would be a challenge to get a 30 amp circuit to where I need it due to the 2 story thing. I'm pretty sure the DW and disposal are 20a. Still worth investigating though. Thanks.

I think a small tank type could be arbitrarily low wattage. Well, relatively low. Pipe full of cold water mixes with it before the hot comes through, so select tank size wisely. But good enough for quick hand wash or a plate. Filling sink or dishwasher, hot/cold/hot flow could be OK.

Dishwasher can probably heat its own.

I think a small tank type could be arbitrarily low wattage. Well, relatively low. Pipe full of cold water mixes with it before the hot comes through, so select tank size wisely. But good enough for quick hand wash or a plate. Filling sink or dishwasher, hot/cold/hot flow could be OK.

I was thinking piggyback off the disposal circuit since it's not practical to drop a new circuit. If I can find something like 2000w it might work, and at least the water would be warmer. Gotta research it.

It looks like there are several 2.5 gal 120v units that are around 12a but I don't think it will fit in the tight space I have to work with. 17 x 11 x 11 seems to be typical size. But maybe. I'll dig out a tape measure tomorrow and check. If it will fit I think I'll get one and install it as a surprise for the boss lady. She would be ecstatic to have something like that.

interesting idea. like a recirc pump that sits idle until you actually need hot water at the tap.
I believe many DIY's could make one of their own with a common recirculator and a flow sensor activated switch.
Thinking about it another way, why just the hot water, if you are on well water you could have a similar recirculator on the cold water system side to quickly move cold water to a tap rather than running the water to the drain waiting for the water to run cold.
I have some parts on a shelf...more projects darn you B-Mod!! ;)

I suppose "larger" and "smaller" is relative.

I really like how panels are cheap, especially when over-provisioned compared to the inverter's capacity. I'm trying to decide if I'd be better served by expanding my PV or battery bank, and leaning towards adding PV. More battery would be very rarely utilized (just a cushion to fall back on, while I already have a genset and, for now, grid power), while added PV would give more breathing room every single time it's overcast, as well as contribute every morning/evening.
Once one has a large battery bank, you realize you don't need more PV unless you need enough to recharge in winter every 3 or 4 days.

It doesn't do any good to have more PV if there isn't anywhere for the power to go. For me, battery Kwh to PV watts ratio is 6:1. This works out very well. You have 5 hours of good PV production per day.

Look into one of these. No wasted water, instant hot water. No need for a recirc pipe. I have had one for well over 10 years now.

I purchased a Chilipepper about 13 years ago, it was easy to install and it worked fantastic for a little over a year and then it failed. The concept works and cuts the amount of time to get hot water to almost nothing when installed properly. They only run when you want them to and don't continuously circulate hot water.

Whats your DIY option ideas?
My thought is:
Supply and return line from the HWT with a conventional grundfos recirc pump.
The loop back (return line) would tee off the supply line before the flow switch near to the faucet.
A check valve on the return loop would prevent reverse flows.
When you turn off the faucet, the flow switch will deactive the recirc pump.

We did without grid electricity once and the wife and I said never again. Thats why we couldn't understand the first "solar" users we knew since they had to watch everything they did to get thru the night.

Not long after the wife and I got married we rented a house that the previous occupants had left a power bill owed on. We couldn't get the power company to turn it back on in our names. So I bought a 1500watt generator and we lived off that thing for a few months till it was straightened out.

That was almost like not having power since it ran out of gas during the night. Also the carb froze up in cold weather till I figured out I could prop a sheet of plywood on it to trap heat against the carb. Then there was the joy of trying to stay within 1500 watts power usage wise.
That sound very simalar to my whole 2 years of junior collage in the 70s after they kicked me out of the dorm.
I mean , who would have thought beer hidden in your dresser was such a horrible offence.

My thought is:
The loop back (return line) would tee off the supply line before the flow switch near to the faucet.

Could you maybe sketch out a plumbing diagram so I can better understand the setup?

My thought is:
I've looked at this pretty hard and I don't think it's the way I want to go, if I do anything. The only upside I can see to this is saving water. Since it doesn't recirculate until it's powered on I would still be waiting two minutes for hot water. I just wouldn't be wasting the water while I'm waiting. I don't like wasting water but I can't see putting up with the noise and remembering to turn it on every time. I think I'd go with the mini tank heater if I put something under the sink, but the wife already says she doesn't want that. So I'm back to maybe going with a recirculating on demand WH whenever I have to replace the units we have now. I couldn't put the recirculation loop right at the sink but I could put it maybe 3/4 of the way between the WH and the sink so it would cut the wait down to maybe 30 seconds.

I can still see where this has a lot of applications. I'm thinking one of the mini tankless or tank versions might be pretty nice out in the shop where I'm just going to wash my hands most of the time. Always another project on the horizon!

Seems like just yesterday I was living in my 100sqft camper off 200-800w of PV and my dump load was getting to run the computer for the day!, along with charging up my power tool batteries, and AAA rechargeables, which could be used as backup if the main 12v system couldn't make it through the week.

Well actually at the point I made it to 800w, I had a mini fridge and a chest freezer and could just turn the freezer on blast to use up the extra PV in the summer. They were outside, so no need to run them in the winter.. hehe

Now Ive upgraded everything about 10x, including my living space! Oh how things have changed. Now im looking for ways to dump power as well. Recently have been using it mostly to heat the house with a 1500w space heater.

I apparently never signed a contract when I got my propane tanks (moved into the house in January, never bothered hooking it up to the grid, and Jan was alright, battery system has tripled since then. I think the best way for me to cut power in winter will be to get a smaller inverter that can run critical loads and not be the power hogs that my EG4 6500s are).

Anyway, I found out the 240gal propane tanks I got will have to be filled 3-4x times a year, when I thought multiple people at their company told me it would last me the whole year. (So my heating cost per year will 3-4x what I thought. So ive been cutting firewood with my electric chainsaw. Definitely gonna have to get a woodstove sooner rather than later). The rep from the propane company was absolutely amazed I didnt have to have my tanks filled yet. That 1500w space heater has sure been putting in some work. Been cooking with a crockpot and toaster oven. Very curious about the induction stoves that were posted in this thread.

So thats my story of feast and famine.

Best ideas I think ill pursue for using the extra PV are:
A/C
Food Dehydrator / Freeze Drier (surprised no one has mentioned that yet in this thread, unless I missed it).
EV

an EV just seems like the ultimate dump for PV power. Plus you are replacing gas, which is super expensive. Would probably be more cost effective to replace gas with extra PV than to replace propane or nat gas thats heating your home or water. (side note, I just hang my clothes up to dry)

When are they coming out with the at-home hydrogen generators so I can make hydrogen in the summer and burn it in the winter?

Food Dehydrator / Freeze Drier (surprised no one has mentioned that yet in this thread, unless I missed it).

That's one of my loads during autumn, drying mushrooms, etc.:

Or apples:

jfhwr3weg1h91.jpg

When are they coming out with the at-home hydrogen generators so I can make hydrogen in the summer and burn it in the winter?

Make bio-diesel. See if you can find a small, local restaurant that has waste vegetable oil. Add methanol (or ethanol) and potassium hydroxide, warm up to 60C, let it settle. You can run the diesel generator on that in winter.

Back