diy solar

diy solar

Half price electric cars

Solar Is great until the sun don't shine (as we all know too well!). Wind, ehhhh, it is something, but wind doesn't always blow, questions about bird deaths, etc. But if you consider carbon to be the big boogie man I guess it is better..?

But I still can't imagine the country being 100% solar and wind. We cannot do Dec and Jan in many parts of the country only on solar, and Nov and Feb are tough. How do you expect to go totally solar and wind on a massive grid scale with that in mind?
if I was in wyoming I'd be doing wind only

electric has gone up ~3x in 40-50 years
gas has gone up 12x in 40-50 years

yep

yep and the reliability sucks
Gas got the worst under Obama and Biden. It was much better under administrations that were energy friendly. Heck everything was cheaper 2016-2020 before the current pResident and his (purposeful) train wreck.

Solar Is great until the sun don't shine (as we all know too well!). Wind, ehhhh, it is something, but wind doesn't always blow, questions about bird deaths, etc. But if you consider carbon to be the big boogie man I guess it is better..?
I believed in the boogie man when I was a little boy.
But I still can't imagine the country being 100% solar and wind. We cannot do Dec and Jan in many parts of the country only on solar, and Nov and Feb are tough. How do you expect to go totally solar and wind on a massive grid scale with that in mind?
With massive battery banks of course.
1600S1000P at a minimum. 😉

It doesn't rain all the time either yet water comes out the the tap OK.

Hardly the same thing and you know that.

Unless you expect to have super giant batteries capable of storing enough from summer sun to have excess to use in winter... holy crap that is a lot of batteries.

Free market solutions? The free market has only one purpose and that is to make as much money as it possibly can. Negative externalities, like pollution, unless prohibited by law (and thus the voting public) is not a consideration. By making rules on what is and isn't allowed, the free market has some guidelines that all players have to follow.

Yes, with some (enforceable) guidelines free markets can do better, but that is not a given. I would not want private ownership of roads, nor would I want governments to build the cars to drive on them.

Free markets can still have laws. It is when the government and corporations join together to design, implement, and enforce laws in a coordinated way that problems arise.

Hertz is ditching (some?) electric cars in part because companies like Tesla don't give volume discounts to Hertz. At to that that in China there is a price war going on between the 300+electric car manufactures and profits are dropping. IF other countries allow car imports from China, (under a free market they would) The traditional companies are in a world of hurt as they are too slow to innovate.

Gas got the worst under Obama and Biden. It was much better under administrations that were energy friendly. Heck everything was cheaper 2016-2020 before the current pResident and his (purposeful) train wreck.
gas absolutely skyrocketed and went insane in 2007-2008 wtf you talking about

Free markets can still have laws. It is when the government and corporations join together to design, implement, and enforce laws in a coordinated way that problems arise.
ban lobbyist then

In reality that is correct, should we call them regulated markets? (Which is something a few people here are aggressively against)

I have a problem with corporations having so much influence on government. I hear that in the US they can donate money to the political campaigns of politicians and in return those politicians will give subsidies to those corporations well in excess of the campaign contributions. Add to that their news media is privately owned, which means advertising dollars can and do prevent the news media pointing out the real issues in an unbiased way.

Last edited:
Hardly the same thing and you know that.

Unless you expect to have super giant batteries capable of storing enough from summer sun to have excess to use in winter... holy crap that is a lot of batteries.
Hydropower is seasonal energy storage. Pumped hydro is weeks, batteries hours. We are building large pumped hydro for just this purpose. Massive batteries are going up at a rate of knots.

Places unable to have sufficient renewables + storage can use nuclear.

Just need to end coal and most gas where possible for grid energy generation. Gas should be saved for applications that cannot be transitioned economically (e.g. many industrial processes).

Where are you getting this from?

YearNational Average Gas Price (Dollars/Gallon) ThenNational Average Gas Price (Dollars/Gallon) In 2022 Dollars
1978$0.63$2.85
1979$0.86$3.52
1980$1.19$4.25
1981$1.31$4.25
Are you literally only talking about gas here or both of them?
I got gas from the prices here. 35 cents to who the hell knows somewhere around 4

hell even in 1999 gas was still 85 cents all over colorado mountains

Are you literally only talking about gas here or both of them?
I got gas from the prices here. 35 cents to who the hell knows somewhere around 4

hell even in 1999 gas was still 85 cents all over colorado mountains
You said "gas has gone up 12x in 40-50 year"
Please explain this. I purchased a lot of fuel back then and I don't believe this is true. I posted National Average prices and price adjusted for inflation.

gas absolutely skyrocketed and went insane in 2007-2008 wtf you talking about

ban lobbyist then
Right, I recall that in 2008. Some smug Prius owner tried gloating at the gas station about his mpg until I pointed out I still got upper 20s out of a car that cost me only $3500 and asked him what his car payment was.

But the highest I've paid for gas was during Obama and Biden. I paid over $4 sometime in 2010 or 2011 I think it was. Near $5 under the current clown show a year or two back. Came back down some but still higher, and been edging up again recently.

You said "gas has gone up 12x in 40-50 year"
Please explain this. I purchased a lot of fuel back then and I don't believe this is true. I posted National Average prices and price adjusted for inflation.
and I asked if you were talking about only gas or both of them..
and then I did explain it
need to be linked to my post again?

Right, I recall that in 2008. Some smug Prius owner tried gloating at the gas station about his mpg until I pointed out I still got upper 20s out of a car that cost me only $3500 and asked him what his car payment was.

But the highest I've paid for gas was during Obama and Biden. I paid over $4 sometime in 2010 or 2011 I think it was. Near $5 under the current clown show a year or two back. Came back down some but still higher, and been edging up again recently.
Yep, people buying those insanely priced cars will never see a return
I still have my car from the 1990s, still runs fine. Cost me ~4k as well
Remember when diesel was cheaper than gas pre bush? the good ol' days

Yeah not sure why diesel is so high now. Demand is part of it. Stricter regs? And then..no clue.

Also, the 10 cents difference between grades is looong gone. My toy car needs mid grade and it is like 40 cents more per gallon now. Blah.

1711837359473.png
20,000 years ?- glacial periods are 120,000 years.
The interglacial periods are short, the glacial periods are far longer - the graph above has the temps invertered I expect.
We are not (today) under two miles of ice, in a glacial period, we are in the latest interglacial period -ie the short warm period between ice ages.
If the pattern were repeating as ice cores indicate in the past, it should be getting colder every winter at this point in the cycle.

Yeah not sure why diesel is so high now. Demand is part of it. Stricter regs? And then..no clue.

Also, the 10 cents difference between grades is looong gone. My toy car needs mid grade and it is like 40 cents more per gallon now. Blah.
The missing 10c grade difference is infuriating lol.
I still pay it but sheesh. Although if I can find an ethanol free station I go there over getting blended premium

Back