diy solar

diy solar

Hankzor JK BMS with screen and power button

do you know what is the jk bms pinout on rs485 port

Code:
# RS485-TTL jack (4 Pin, JST 1.25mm pinch)
┌─── ─────── ────┐
│                │
│ O   O   O   O  │
│GND  RX  TX VBAT│
└────────────────┘

Not sure on the LV6548 since I never used or had an MPP, but should be online somewhere.

Last edited:
Thanks! Waiting for the power button write up next ;)

Probably this coming week. I'm doing some software work first, so it's connected to a test battery. Once that's done I'll open it up again.
On the display side, it's the black cable. This means it's pin two on the connector:

Code:
# Display Connector at BMS, PWR == BLACK == BUTTON
┌─────── ─────── ───────┐
│                       │
│ O   O   O   O   O   O │
│    PWR                │
└───────────────────────┘

The red cable is BMS Ground (left of the PWR pin in the connector diagram above), and pressing the button puts a 1K resistance between that pin and BMS ground. Without the display connected, there is 8V on that PWR pin, so a pull down resistor.

Last edited:
Code:
# RS485-TTL jack (4 Pin, JST 1.25mm pinch)
┌─── ─────── ────┐
│                │
│ O   O   O   O  │
│GND  RX  TX VBAT│
└────────────────┘

Not sure on the LV6548 since I never used or had an MPP, but should be online somewhere.

Sweet, Thanks!
I have seen that Hankzor was also selling a RS485 module? (Pic attached below)
Do you know what is it for and if I need it with the new rev boards?
What you described previously looks as a half duplex RS485 interface header so what is this adapter for then?

I can also see 2 boards but different price, how can I know which one is the latest rev with the LCD header?

and

Appreciate your advise!

A

Attachments

• rs485.jpg
    rs485.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 11
I have seen that Hankzor was also selling a RS485 module? (Pic attached below)
Do you know what is it for and if I need it with the new rev boards?

Yes, that module converts the TTL serial uart data to actual RS-485 (A, B, GND lines). You can then use something like this to connect ti to USB:

But as I said, doing this is not needed. Just take the RX,TX and GND pins (and an appropriate JST connector) and hook it up to something like this:

Yes, that module converts the TTL serial uart data to actual RS-485 (A, B, GND lines). You can then use something like this to connect ti to USB:

But as I said, doing this is not needed. Just take the RX,TX and GND pins (and an appropriate JST connector) and hook it up to something like this:
I'm puzzled, I have that USB-RS485 converter, can it be connected to the BMS RS485 3-ping port directly? Or can't it?

I'm puzzled, I have that USB-RS485 converter, can it be connected to the BMS RS485 3-ping port directly? Or can't it?

No, the BMS output is TTL (TX/RX/GND). You can convert it to USB directly with a TTL to USB converter (sometimes called RS-232 converter, even though this is technically not really correct). The dongle that Hankzor sells turns the TTL signal into RS-485 (A/B/GND) which then gets converted to USB with a USB/RS485 converter.

No, the BMS output is TTL (TX/RX/GND). You can convert it to USB directly with a TTL to USB converter (sometimes called RS-232 converter, even though this is technically not really correct). The dongle that Hankzor sells turns the TTL signal into RS-485 (A/B/GND) which then gets converted to USB with a USB/RS485 converter.
Oh, darn it. I figured because it's the 3-pin port RS485, this should work and plug it into the Victron Cerbo...

Oh, darn it. I figured because it's the 3-pin port RS485, this should work and plug it into the Victron Cerbo...
Use something like this (with header and terminal block):

If you don't need those, this one is even cheaper:

Both should do 3.3 or 5 VCC.

@upnorthandpersonal could maybe tell us if BMS TTL is 3.3V or 5V?

Anyways, way cheaper than the included adapter

Cheers,

A

Use something like this (with header and terminal block):

If you don't need those, this one is even cheaper:

Both should do 3.3 or 5 VCC.

Anyways, way cheaper than the included adapter

Cheers,

A

No, those adapters would be for the RS-485 signal, which is available after that adapter they sell. If you don't want to use that adapter, use something like this instead:

A manual off/on button would make this 8S BMS/active balancer ideal for a 4S system with a 12V stepup converter where you could put the battery in storage and turn off the BMS to reduce drain. There has been rumors that there will be a 4S JK BMS soon?

No, those adapters would be for the RS-485 signal, which is available after that adapter they sell. If you don't want to use that adapter, use something like this instead:

I thought he was Martijn was after rs485 output as Victron Cerbo doesn't seem to have any USB ports...

Anyways, I was thinking of using this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32857507366.html
To convert BMS TTL to RS485 and then connect RS485 output to RS485 port on the LV6548 inverter...
Basically using above adapter instead of the one sold by hankzor or am I missing something here?

Thanks,

A

I thought he was Martijn was after rs485 output as Victron Cerbo doesn't seem to have any USB ports...

Anyways, I was thinking of using this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32857507366.html
To convert BMS TTL to RS485 and then connect RS485 output to RS485 port on the LV6548 inverter...
Basically using above adapter instead of the one sold by hankzor or am I missing something here?

Thanks,

A

Ah, ok, I understood it wrong since I believe the Cerbo does have USB:

161824fc60ff71.png

Thanks,

A
The Cerbo has USB ports.

I'm trying to use the 3-pin RS485 connection on the JK BMS to go to USB on the Cerbo.

FYI, I'm way over my head here from a software RS-485 perspective.

I have a large 12V based Victron system in my Class B RV which has 5 DIY 280K batteries in parallel using 1 JDB BMS for each battery. This summer a friend tried to help me add the 280K via the USB to RS485 adapter and update the Cerbo with the VenusOS driver for serial battery BMS but it would only accept a single connection so you could not monitor more than a single battery with the Cerbo.

I was just wondering if you are you aware of this limitation and if you have any new or updated information about it??

If you feel this is a hijack of this thread i am happy to remove the post.

Thank you.

Back