diy solar

diy solar

How to correctly install a ACTIVE CELL BALANCER to Lifepo4

I have a JiKong JK BMSthat does 2 amp active balancing. It constantly finds the highest cell and then draws 2 amps to charge up a super capacitor. It then finds the lowest cell and pushes the charge from the capacitor into that cell. You can set the lowest voltage it will function all the way down to just 2 volts and the difference between cells down to just 0.003 volts for it to stop operation and save power. They sell the basic board as a balancer only, but I got it with the BMS functions as well with a 200 amp FET based switch for protection. It is common port, but it can limit charge while still allowing discharge, and allow charge while blocking discharge. It also has 2 external battery temp sensors to place on the pack and you can set temperature limits for charge and discharge as well.
The only little issue may be that it needs 40 volts to operate. It will work with smaller packs, but under 40 volts requires a power source other than the main pack. Some use a small boost converter to make 48 volts to power it up. The bluetooth range is about 30 feet if you can see it, but it does not like going through walls.
IMG_8224.PNGIMG_8226.PNGIMG_8227.PNG

Your mistrust is wise. I have had bad experiences with crimps that have poor connectivity on BMS wire harnesses. From now on I will always crimp then solder.
Use crimp terminals that are sized properly for your wires, then use a racheting crimper that is designed for those terminals and you need not fear your crimped terminals.

Automotive and aerospace applications universally use crimped terminals because soldered terminals increase the risk of wire breakage when subjected to vibration.

And solder dipping the wires before crimping pretty much guarantees a failure.

Normally, I would say it always pays to get good tools. For all my small connections, I use good quality crimp terminals and a very nice crimper now. All of the times I had bad crimp connections in the past, it was due to a bad wire fit or a cheap tool doing a bad job. It certainly pays off to spend a little more on good tools.

I was a bit torn on the large wire crimper I knew I would need to make up the battery cables. The high quality versions get pretty expensive. So I bought one of the cheap Amazon hydraulic crimpers for making up all of my large battery bank cables. If I did this more, I would have went with a solid american made version, but I do not see me using this more than just building my own battery cables. I could not justify the extra cost for less than 20 crimps. With the right size connector, it makes a rock solid connection. They do not recommend using any solder as it makes the ends of the cable much more brittle. The cheap crimper does require a little more care to make sure the dies stay lined up well as you begin to crush the sleeve. Once under pressure, it holds great. If I end up doing more jobs with it, I might make some shims to hold the dies better. I feel it was a good investment and would recommend getting one if you need to connect battery cables. The money I saved using bulk cable just about paid for the crimper when compared to buying custom pre-made cables with the ends already on.

HaldorEE and GXMnow, I agree....I have done a robotics program with High School kids for 15 years and we used to solder the battery cables and they would break right at the edge of the solder joint. We now use compression connections and it lets the cable move more without breaking....

We are handling the batteries a lot and this is kind of an accelerated test that most home battery systems wouldn't see, but I am sold on the compression fittings. Compression with solder doesn't work either, it breaks right at the edge of the solder.

I have a JiKong JK BMSthat does 2 amp active balancing. It constantly finds the highest cell and then draws 2 amps to charge up a super capacitor. It then finds the lowest cell and pushes the charge from the capacitor into that cell. You can set the lowest voltage it will function all the way down to just 2 volts and the difference between cells down to just 0.003 volts for it to stop operation and save power. They sell the basic board as a balancer only, but I got it with the BMS functions as well with a 200 amp FET based switch for protection. It is common port, but it can limit charge while still allowing discharge, and allow charge while blocking discharge. It also has 2 external battery temp sensors to place on the pack and you can set temperature limits for charge and discharge as well.
The only little issue may be that it needs 40 volts to operate. It will work with smaller packs, but under 40 volts requires a power source other than the main pack. Some use a small boost converter to make 48 volts to power it up. The bluetooth range is about 30 feet if you can see it, but it does not like going through walls.
View attachment 19629View attachment 19631View attachment 19632
Hey GXMnow, how do you like that BMS? I'm thinking of buying the one that Heltec sells that looks just like yours.
Do you think it would be good for a 48v pack made of 16 new 280a cells? Some people say a 10amp active cell balancer is better but it would seem that 2amp would be fine for new cells.

I am investigating Active Balancers, some of you may have seen some on that already. Few things I have found worthy of sharing.

Passive Balancing is tediously slow and inefficient for Large Cells. It is fine for very small differentials.

For cells 100AH or greater, don't bother with 1A or 2A active balancing it just isn't enough. Realize the cells will wander at least 1mv per ah capacity and likely more the higher voltage they go. 5A to 10A is more appropriate for "timely balancing".

There are a LOT of Craptastic balancers out there and YT + others have enough to show what does fail.... BUT they also show Known Good ones tested & abused and still working. From what I've come up with, QNBMM (sold by DeliGreen and others {NOT a deligreen made product btw}) and the Heltec Active Balancers seem to Rise to the surface as Good Working balancers.

I will be getting 8S QNBBM Balancers for my 24V packs which will be interconnected with my Chargery BMS8T-300's (passive balancing OFF) and DCC setups. They will be thrashed on the 175AH packs (the used ShunBin cells) which will give them a hard workout. I will report my findings / experiences in a separate thread.

I'd also like to point out, that one of our Members / Moderators here @Craig also sells these QNBBM's, I believe he is ordering a batch of 8S models in now. It may be prudent to check with him as that would be shipped from California once he has'em.

For Reference:
Heltec on AliBaba https://cncdheltec.en.alibaba.com/productgrouplist-814905857/Active_Equalizer.html?

DeliGreen (AliBaba store) QNBBM listing (lots of it) https://deligreen.en.alibaba.com/productgrouplist-806516208/Active_Balancer_BMS.html?

My LG Chem pack is still basically new, and the cells are proving to be very well matched as well as balanced now. This is great for me, but it is not asking too much from my JK BMS balance function. I now have about 20 cycles from about 90% down to 40% and back up again. My pack just started charging this morning, I connected to the BMS and took a screen shot just now.
IMG_8403.PNG
The cell balance is at 0.006 from the lowest to highest cell. And you can see at the bottom it shows the highest cell in red and the lowest in blue. All the rest are green. I would have to scroll down to show all 14 in my pack. The Cycle count number seemed low, as I know I have more like 20 cycles, but the first few were only down to 60%, the 50% and the last few down just under 40%. I have discharged a total of 2634.6 amp hours out of the pack. The pack is rated at 360 amp hours, and if you divide that, it rounds off to 7 times the pack capacity rating. Now the cycle count makes sense. In the 3 weeks I have had the pack operating, and almost 2 at fairly high power, I have not seen it have to run any balance current with the threshold value set to 0.008 volts differential. It will allow it to be set down to 0.003, but then it is shuffling power around for really no reason. It even lists that the cell measuring accuracy is only guaranteed to within 0.005 volts, so it is pointless to try and balance any closer than that.

Do you need more than 2 amps of balance current?

To give the balancer section a work out, I connected my 12 volt inverter to just 4 cells in the middle of the pack. It was at 60% charge, so it was just below the high volt shut off point. I put about 200 watts of load on it and had it drag them down about 0.060 volts from the rest of the pack, and yes, I had the balancer turned off to make sure it would move. That comes out to a 16 amp load, so the balancer would not have been able to stop the drift, but it would slow it down a bit. It still took a while to get that 60 mv difference. I took the load off and turned on the balancer. I watched the cell voltages page and it was pretty cool to watch the red high cell mark jump around to all of the 10 cells that were higher, and then jump across the 4 that were lower. It kept repeating up and back. The balance current flipping from -1.98 amps to +2.04 amps etc. I saw a high spike of about 2.2 amps and it would dip down to 1.5 at times as it selected a different cell. I did not get an accurate time on it, but in a couple hours, I looked back, and the balancer was turning off and just popping on for a minute once in a while, with the 4 low ones right at 0.008 below the other 10. I set the threshold down to 0.003 and it went back to work pulling them closer still. For my 360 amp hour pack, I would say the 2 amps one cell at a time is plenty of balance current.

Look at it like this... How far out of balance and match do you think your cells are? If you run a capacity test on all of your cells, and let's say the worst high to low was 90 AH to 105 AH and the rest are all close to 100 AH. When the pack charges up, the 90 AH will top out first, and the 105 will be behind the rest. That 105 cell is only at 86% and all the 100's are at 90% when the 90 cell is topped out, and this is from all 16 cells being at 0% to begin. That 2 amps of balance current will take about 5 hours to pull 10 amp hours off of the 90 AH cell, and 2.5 hours to push 5 amp hours into the 105 cell. And you do need to add those times, and double it because it pulls 2 amps, then pushes 2 amps, but in this case there will be a lot of overlap as it will use energy from the 90 AH cell, pulling it's voltage down to then push that to the 105 cell to pull it's voltage up. So it might take 7 hours or so to fully balance a pack that has cells that far out of match. Does the pack charge or discharge faster than that? If it does, you should probably have better matched cells. If your pack has multiple cells in parallel, you should put together groups that help match the capacity of each cell group. If this example was a 16S 3P setup, you should put the 90 and 105 cells in the same group so the high and the low help bring them to the average capacity. 90+100+105= 295 where a perfect group would be 300. That is only a 1.7% low group. Where the 90 out of 100 was 10% low.

If the cell groups are all well matched, it only takes a small balance current to get the cells to get in line in a day or so. And if they are well matched, it will stay in balance with very little current. Mis-matched cell groups will always go out of balance and need more balance current to pull them back in balance. A powerful balancer is kind of like a band aid for a bleeding battery pack. As a pack get's larger, yes, it will need more balance current. So if you are slapping together a 1,000 amp hour bank, you may need 10 amps of balance current. That is just 1% of capacity, so if a cell group is 1% off on capacity, it will be able to keep it balanced during charge and discharge. But if a cell is 2% out, it will take longer to pull it back in balance after charge or discharge has stopped. My 2 amps of balance current is only 0.56% of battery capacity, and it is having no problem keeping them balanced as it appears my cell groups are matched even closer than 0.5%. And yes, you could always just add another balancer unit in parallel if you find you need more current. My original plan was a low current passive balance and an active balancer in parallel, but when I found this BMS with 2 amp active balance built it, it fit my needs quite well. If it turned out I needed more current, I could still add another, but my pack clearly does not need it. I got very lucky with the Battery Hookup deal. I am using each half of an 8S module in series with 2 different complete 10S modules. I could have easilly had cell groups that were not well matched, but I didn't. If I did find a drift issues, I have the 2 10S units starting at the negative end, and the 4S halves at the positive end. That was the easiest to wire, but if I had a match issue, I was prepared to move one of the 4S halves to be at the negative end or even swap the 10S pair so that the full 14S strings would match up, but my first setup is working great. Always keep a close watch on a new pack for several cycles to be sure they are holding a good balance, and of course, don't push the high and low voltage ends until you know the pack is behaving well. I learned a lot working with much smaller E-Bike batteries. messing up with 10-20 AH can still make smoke and fire, but the same issue with 360 AH could burn down a house pretty fast.

Thanks for all of the info guys. I will have 66 cells to play with in a month or so.
I'm just hoping to have some batteries online by next hurricane season so I don't need to rush anything.
I'm glad your setup worked out well GXMnow. A lot of people struggle and destroy stuff.

so I built a quick pack for testing, using a generic 7s 20a bms and a 7s version of the active cell balancer (same as will used). it is kinda intriguing. The generic bms does have cell balancing, but it doesn't begin until 4.2v. For longevity, I only want it to go to 4v per cell, and so unless I want to force it to get fl charge, the pack would never balance.

Higher ended bms have the ability to set these parameters.

I disagree that it only works from one cell to the next, as ive got 4 of the 6 indicator lights on... started with 2.

Which balancer are you using?

The one that I saw Will test a while back, has a small inductive converter that can only pass power between cells next to each other, but it can then use the next converter to pass it on again and so forth, so it can eventually take power from cell one and cycle it across to cell seven, but there will be some loss as it goes from cell to cell. And there needs to be a difference in voltage at each step to trigger the transfer. They do work and will balance a pack. It is more efficient than just using a load resistor, but it is not as efficient as the switched super capacitor type like the JK. In the real world, if you just have one weak cell and/or one strong cell, it will work just fine. The weak cell with less capacity will top up too quick while charging and the balancer will pull voltage to the cells on either side of it. The strong cell with more capacity will come up slower, and start pulling power from the cells on both sides of it. When discharging, it will work the same, but in the opposite directions. It is a reasonable system, but as you get to more cells in series, I think the effectiveness fades a little. I almost went with a setup like you are describing, but I wanted more control over how it worked. The other balancers with an array of capacitors instead of the inductors seemed worse on paper. They can't move any real current with out a large voltage difference. The whole point is we want very little voltage difference. Passive resistor load balancing can get the cells perfectly top balanced, but it is doing it by just taking the extra energy and making it into heat. Active balancers try to use as much of that energy as possible to help preserve the total pack capacity and also the round trip efficiency of the system. If you have a 2 amp passive balancer, and it needs to bleed off a bunch of power to keep the system in balance, your charge source needs to supply all that extra power that is just heating up balance resistors. You can set some to start balancing at lower voltages, but then even more power is going into heat if the cells charge at different rates.

The way the JK balancing works is quite elegant, but it needs a lot more circuitry. It needs a matrix of mosfet switches so any cell can be connected to the power converter to either charge or discharge the big capacitor bank. It is very efficient, but it can only pull or push from just on cell at a time, but it can do 2 amps. They have balance only models up to 10 amps. The JK BMS I have can pull and push 2 amps, at just 3 millivolts difference.

My JK balancer moved a lot of energy in a balance test without making any heat at all. I dragged 4 cells down about 2 amp hours and in about 3 hours it was all back in balance again. And it can balance at any voltage, but you can tell it to stop working below a given voltage level as well as difference between cells so it does not drag the pack down shuffling power for no reason. I have mine shut off balancing when the top and bottom cells are within 6 millivolts and if a cell goes below 3.1 volts.

This is also made by JK, it is basically just the balancer section of my BMS. It even uses the same app to adjust settings and monitor the operation. It just does not have the protection disconnect components. I had thought about adding one of those to a Daly BMS, but then I found the JK BMS with the active balancer and BMS functions built into one unit.

do I need 2a of cell balancing? I think currently, I do not need it.
things can become out of balance over time, but even these tiny little balancers are actively moving energy around as soon as there is a small amount of difference between the cells. One of the cells would have to go significantly out of wack to make a difference.
But shouldn't we be staying away from mismatching capacities in series to begin with?

A word of Caution in regards to the Adverts on the Chinese Sites. The Translations SUCK, we all know that.
I have seen some Active Balancers advertised as "Battery Management System" but ARE NOT, as they do not have the ability to control, manage and cutoff cells for Hi/Low Volt or Out of Temp range conditions.

There are a FEW companies that make a BMS with Active Balancing (not cheap). More commonly BMS' will have Passive Balancing as opposed to Active, while other BMS' have no balancing capabilities at all. BE VERY CAREFUL READING THE ADVERTS !

Also note that as Active Balancers are available with different amperage capacity for shifting the power around, they start at 1.0A and go up to 10A. The higher capacity the Blancer has the more expensive it will be due to to the hardware to support it. Appreciate that a 1.5A Active Balacer will still be quite slow on Large Capacity Cells compared to a 5A or 8A balancer.

HEAT: The Active Balancers get pretty warm, Working temps on QNBBM's are -40C to +80C / -40F to 176F for example.

I did not check the temp on mine, but even after several hours, it was still touchable. my guess is no more than 115f.

I have a dedicated bms for the other functions. but even mid grade bms with balancing only balance at the top (like 4.15 or higher) .

I did not check the temp on mine, but even after several hours, it was still touchable. my guess is no more than 115f.

I have a dedicated bms for the other functions. but even mid grade bms with balancing only balance at the top (like 4.15 or higher) .
Ummmm..... Lifepo4 BMS ? LFP 100% = 3.65V NOT higher. Is that a BMS for LIPO ? or another chemistry ?

I have gotten pretty good at reading "Chinglish" instructions and data sheets. Some of them are very bad, and some out right lie. I tend to over research everything before I spend my money. So many of the BMS boards on sale are very poorly made and use junk components. Since the batteries are some of the biggest expenses in the system, I didn't want to trust their safety to just any little piece of junk. It took a bit more of a leap of faith in the JK BMS than I normally would take. JK being Ji Kong, and their only slightly better than average english translation did have me a bit nervous, but I did find a few good reviews. Their active balancer only systems had several good review videos and I could not find any that had a bad experience with them. But the units that did the balancing and had the other BMS safety functions did not have any test videos yet. It was a new product when I ordered mine. It certainly was not the cheapest option out there at about $200 but it was still quite a bit less than a Batrium or Chargery system, which don't have active balancing yet.

One of the big selling points about it for me was the setup flexibility. Since I knew I was using re-purposed EV car batteries, I wanted to be sure I could dial in the parameters. The JK BMS allows you to set the high and low cut off voltages and temperatures, even down to how far it has to come back before re connecting and even set the time delay for how long it will allow a current overload and the current thresholds. It also can work on virtually any number of cells. The ad said 14S to 24S but once I got it, I found you can set it down to even just 4S and it works just fine, with the only issue being you need a separate 40 volt or more power supply to power the electronics on the board, if your pack is lower than 40 volts. They even suggest using a DC-DC step up converter for lower voltage packs. You can set the voltage per cell down below 2 volts so it even will work on LTO or Ultra Capacitors. The high side can go up to 5 volts per cell if a new chemistry comes out that is even higher than the 4.2 of Cobalt type cells. If the board gave me any reason to not trust it, I could always use it for something less demanding like an e-bike battery. But in my use for about a month so far it has been working great. The only time it got semi hot was when I was running 80 amps through it, when the air temp outside (and in my garage with the battery bank) was over 110F (43C) but even then, the mosfet temp sensor only got up to 54C (129F) which is still well below the preset safety shut off temp of 75C. The two battery temp sensors allow you to adjust the charge and discharge high and low temp cut off points (all independently), but the 3rd temp sensor on the mosfets is pre set and fixed to shut off at 75C. The cast aluminum case acts as a heat sink for the protection switch mosfets as well as the balance circuits, but it does not have any fins to aid the cooling, and the casting quality is not the best. I bolted it onto an 1/8 inch thick 5.25 inch 3U 19 inch aluminum rack panel to increase the cooling area a bit. I tried to use the factory threaded holes, but the threads were very shallow and the surface is not flat. It bows a bit out in the middle, so when I tried to tighten it to the plat, it stripped the few threads. I ended up taking the case off and drilling and tapping the holes for the screws that hold the unit together all the way through so I could use long screws and get a good hold on it. and I used some heat sink compound to aid in heat transfer to the plate. While I had the case off of the board, I also drilled out the holes near the Bluetooth module to get a little better range as the tiny holes were only giving me about 10 foot of range. With the bigger holes I get about 30 foot with a solid connection now. I am not worried about the heat now while on grid as I am only hitting about 30 amps in the daily cycling, but if I have to run off grid, I can see it easily running over 80 amps again, so I am probably going to add a finned heat sink on the other side of the case as well to help keep the mosfet temp down.

As for how much balance current you truly need? This board does really do 2 amps, but you can also adjust that lower if you feel it is too aggressive for your cells. I left it at the full 2 amps as I am balancing 360 amp hours of cell groups. I was a bit unsure if 2 amps would be enough. If a group is off by just 2% in capacity, that would be 7.2 amp hours of difference. 2 of my Chevy bolt packs have build dates in 2019, but the third pack is a 2018. I could see packs a full year different in age having a 2% capacity difference. So on a charge or discharge cycle, the balancer might have to move that 7 amp hours. My daily discharge is my higher current, lasting 5 hours. Even if it is only having to pull from one cell, it can only pull 2 amps half of the time. So in that 5 hours, it could only move 5 amp hours out of one cell with too high of a voltage. Once the discharge stops, it might still have to work a while if it had to correct for a 7 amp hour difference. For the first few cycles, I kept a very close watch on the system and kept track of the cell voltages. I had it set to run the balancer if the cells are above 3.1 volts, and if the highest to lowest cell delta was more than 0.006 volts. The table of the cell voltages highlights the highest cell in red and the lowest cell in blue with the rest all in green. throughout the charge and discharge cycles, the highlighted cells would move all around the pack, and the difference hardly ever hit the 0.006 threshold so the balancing barely ran at all. Even when I did pull that 80 amps, my pack stayed well within 0.01 volts with the balancer only coming on for a few minutes of the whole 5 hour discharge time. So it seems the cells in my pack are very closely matched, and my worry of needing a lot of balance power was not necessary. To give it a bigger test, I intentionally pulled about 10 amp hours out of just 4 cells. I then activated the balancer again, and it only took about 2 hours for it to get the cells back within the 0.006 volts. I lowered it to 0.003 volts, the lowest delta it can go, and it ran another hour and the cells were all within +/- 0.001 of each other again. The active balancing works great but my pack is certainly not the best test as it is better matched than I ever expected it to be. I don't want to pull my battery bank apart to torture it, but if I had another board, I would be interested in trying it on an intentionally bad bank to see how well it could deal with it. For now, it has been in service nearly a month and is working great. I thought about doing a video, but I am really bad in front of the camera. I have no stake in these BMS units, I paid my own money, and I have to say, my single example has exceeded my expectations.

The good points
1] very good active balancing, it really does move 2 amps
2] total voltage drop including the wires comes out to less than 0.001 ohms. At 80 amps, it was only 0.05 down from the battery lug to the
output buss bar.
3] the setup is extremely flexible. One board can be set to handle any type and number of cells from 4S on up to 24S
4] Every parameter is adjustable, even the current limits and temperatures, including low temp with separate entries for charge and discharge.
5] even though it is a "common port" it can block charge while allowing discharge, or block discharge while allowing charge, basically acting like a diode to allow current flow in the desired direction.
6] The battery capacity counting appears very accurate. You tell it your bank capacity and it counts the energy in and out and keep a running total
7] build quality looks very good. I had the board out of the case and was impressed with the quality appearance
8] I have not had a single issue with the unit yet, but it has only been in operation a month

and the bad points
1] The case is not great. It needs better mounting holes and it is not flat.
2] I am still a bit unsure of the two #7 gauge wires taking 200 amps, at 80 so far they are fine
3] The bluetooth range is short, the antenna should extend out of the aluminum case
4] The instructions are not great. Once in the software it is ok, but to get it to connect the first time took a while. You need to supply a voltage 5
volts HIGHER than the battery to get it to switch on. Until then, it seems completely dead. And if you disconnect the pack, you need to do
it again. With a full charged battery, my 58.8 volts CC CV charger would not do it.
5] I am still not able to find any listing of the data on the RS-485 port. It would be great to be able to monitor the system on wires to my PC
6] may need a voltage converter to power it for systems under 40 volts.

If I think of anything else, I will add it.

Excellent write up GXMnow but I might suggest a slight edit and bold the fact that you are using EV Battery Packs. The Chemistry is important to note but the fact that EV Battery Packs use Matched & Batched Cells that are vigorously tested to conform to "very tight specs" does make a significant difference in battery cell / pack behaviour and management thereof. The structural assembly of EV packs also plays a role in how the cells within the pack are seen and managed, these things are meant for "serious" output & deep charging as well. EV Pack tolerances are very tight.

EDIT: Added link to "Calendar Aging and Lifetimes of LiFePO4 Batteries and Considerations for Repurposing by John Catton"
A valuable Thesis Paper which goes deep into the fine points. Warning 197 Pages.

Last edited:
and the bad points

I would add not likely the physical placement of balancing switching converter's electrolytic caps on board next to BMS series MOSFET switches. Heat coming off series switches is not good for the electrolytic caps long term survival.

Back