diy solar

diy solar

Install and Operation of the SUNGOLD 10KW 48V SPLIT PHASE SOLAR INVERTER

You should be able to program in charging schedules to allow grid charging at certain times. I know the options are there in the SRNE but I haven't messed with them yet.
Your 'switch' would be setting OSO to only allow solar charging vs SNU that allows solar and utility.
There is definitely a lot to learn, that's the fun and rewarding part.

You should be able to program in charging schedules to allow grid charging at certain times. I know the options are there in the SRNE but I haven't messed with them yet.
Your 'switch' would be setting OSO to only allow solar charging vs SNU that allows solar and utility.
There is definitely a lot to learn, that's the fun and rewarding part.
Yes. Will look at that in the (near) future. My near-term goals as I further evaluate this system and etc. is to get it more permanently installed. Add the 3 additional rack batteries (which should have been here today but are delayed til tomorrow (perhaps?)....seems Sungold and Fedex have an issue with the shipping labels ... the end up being 'unreadable' and have to be replaced somewhere along the shipping line. This happened with one of the two batteries I got with my initial order and has happened with all three this time at different places in the line. Hopefully I'll have all three tomorrow and can get them connected in over the weekend as I continue to consider/develop my install plan.

P.S. the above power bill/electricity savings was while using the previous system - the Ecoflow Delta Pro.
The new Sungold inverter has only been in place a bit over a week now and I won't see results from it for another month or so.

.....and yes! The Sungold 10k48 did just as expected... it hit 100% SOC on the batteries after about 4.5 hours or so and immediately went back to normal operation (running off battery and solar as the sun comes up).

I'm quiet pleased with the operation/sequence. I will likely adjust that upper SOC setting though to limit my grid usage as that is my whole endeavor here. :)

Additionally I should be getting a cable delivered today which might (or might not) work to get the Raspberry Pi and Solar Assistant connected directly to the (two) batteries.

Also, looks like one of my three additional batteries is out for delivery and should arrive later today. The other two perhaps tomorrow...they are in town according to tracking...

Enjoy!

Just got my latest Xcel bill.... same temps etc as last year....down 40% electricity use. That's from using Ecoflow Delta Pro for the month of October with only the Office/internet/tv/entertainment/microwave/toaster over on it.

Will be very interesting to see the November comparison with the Sungold 10k running 3 additional circuits including the fridge and furnace...

My 2 cents...
Set grid charge current to 0a, let the grid carry the loads until the panels take over again. Bring the soc cutoff up a bit so you have a bigger buffer if the grid would go down.
If bad weather is forecast, utilize the grid to charge.
So funny you’re talking about this @Kenny_ because I am working on the same thing now. What I did was set 61 to 14 and 62 to 95, but I also set 06 to cso so I am not allowing any utility on the batts, if batts are low for days or I see no sun coming ill throw it back to 06 snu and let utilities charge. My setup has been running so much better on oso mode and manually controlling when I allow utility batt top offs, the utilities were pushing me too high into 100soc too often I think that’s where my OVP problem was starting

Other project
Labeling things today:
AB70442A-2EDD-4244-929D-CF964FF3D8DA.jpeg

Last edited:
@Kenny_ i don’t understand this value ID46 is this to mean I could allow the machine to charge off utility at a certain time? So at 5pm-7pm I could allow utilities to top up the battery if it’s low? And then be cso all other hoursimage.jpg
image.jpg

That seems/sounds right....
I certainly don't want my batteries charging from utility at Peak Hours.

BTW got a third battery hooked up....two more hopefully tomorrow

That seems/sounds right....
I certainly don't want my batteries charging from utility at Peak Hours.

BTW got a third battery hooked up....two more hopefully tomorrow
Very nice. More pics please. Good point on peak, looks like my peaks end at 10pm, so I’m going to experiment a 10pm-12:30am utility charge. My machine let this Powerwall drain to 5% SOC, batt BMS default is 4% cut off, but without BMS attached I can’t set inverter SOC so I’m going by voltage… it kicked it out at 49.9V per inverter setting to stop discharge of batts, I may attempt BMS comms again after I deep cycle this a few more times image.jpg

You guys need to look into the SA or HA integration and automation. On my test Growatt I have automation that will change the charging priority from only solar to grid and back based on various data points such as SOC, cloud cover, solar irradiance forecasts, etc. or a combo of these. Set it and forget it!

You guys need to look into the SA or HA integration and automation. On my test Growatt I have automation that will change the charging priority from only solar to grid and back based on various data points such as SOC, cloud cover, solar irradiance forecasts, etc. or a combo of these. Set it and forget it!
Mine is working fine. Just looking to tailor a few things to stay off grid as much as possible. :)

Chris so you’re saying let solar assistant give the inverter commands? My solar assistant pi gets here tomorrow I’ve yet to experiment with it

Chris so you’re saying let solar assistant give the inverter commands? My solar assistant pi gets here tomorrow I’ve yet to experiment with it
Yes. The new beta of SA looks to have SRNE support where you can set all kinds of automation and control just like I can on my Growatt. I integrated SA with Home assistant to even perform further automation like I mentioned above. Truly cool stuff. My favorite so far is the integration with OpenWeather. If a severe storm weather code is thrown for my area HA/SA increases my Utility Charge Current and switch battery charge current from solar only to Utility. After storm is gone it switches it back to charge only from Solar and decreases util charge current. Here are some screenshots of the latest SA beta.

Attachments

• IMG_3998.jpeg
    IMG_3998.jpeg
    116.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3999.jpeg
    IMG_3999.jpeg
    175.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4001.jpeg
    IMG_4001.jpeg
    227.8 KB · Views: 5
Yes. The new beta of SA looks to have SRNE support where you can set all kinds of automation and control just like I can on my Growatt. I integrated SA with Home assistant to even perform further automation like I mentioned above. Truly cool stuff. My favorite so far is the integration with OpenWeather. If a severe storm weather code is thrown for my area HA/SA increases my Utility Charge Current and switch battery charge current from solar only to Utility. After storm is gone it switches it back to charge only from Solar and decreases util charge current. Here are some screenshots of the latest SA beta.
That is very cool to have access to weather/sun conditions!
Nice!

Got the usb - rj11 cable but didn't work. Battery is just showing aggregate info.

Can't connect using any of the cables/methods I've tried to get Solar Assistant to talk to the Sungold batteries. :(

Guess I'm just SOL.....

There are a pile of options in the new beta. I'll have to dig through more of them and see what might be useful to me.
It would be awesome to be able to communicate with a weather station through a local intranet in order to have SA control items based on pressure changes, winds, temp swings, etc.

Got the usb - rj11 cable but didn't work. Battery is just showing aggregate info.

Can't connect using any of the cables/methods I've tried to get Solar Assistant to talk to the Sungold batteries. :(

Guess I'm just SOL.....
What options for batteries are you seeing in the SA menu drop down? You are disconnecting from the inverter in SA before you try to connect to new batteries, correct?

There are a pile of options in the new beta. I'll have to dig through more of them and see what might be useful to me.
It would be awesome to be able to communicate with a weather station through a local intranet in order to have SA control items based on pressure changes, winds, temp swings, etc.

What options for batteries are you seeing in the SA menu drop down? You are disconnecting from the inverter in SA before you try to connect to new batteries, correct?
There's about 11....I tried them all with a direct RS485 cable and nothing ... won't connect.... I didn't try every option with the rj11 cable....maybe tomorrow.....

With the third battery connected....last two batteries due to arrive today...

still at 60% SOC with the third battery not having completely charged up yesterday and a few hours til sunrise.

PXL_20231110_101930659.MP.jpg

Let's try something else with your battery communication.
Do you have any windows software from sungold power to talk to their batteries ? Do you have an RS485 to USB adapter ?
You do !!!! absolutely fabulous, get it all set up and running so you can see your batteries in the windows software, now you know that your batteries can communicate and that your RS485 pins are correct. Now just plug that RS485 adapter into solar assistant and see whether any of the selections will now work for you.

Let's try something else with your battery communication.
Do you have any windows software from sungold power to talk to their batteries ? Do you have an RS485 to USB adapter ?
You do !!!! absolutely fabulous, get it all set up and running so you can see your batteries in the windows software, now you know that your batteries can communicate and that your RS485 pins are correct. Now just plug that RS485 adapter into solar assistant and see whether any of the selections will now work for you.
Well...let's see. I got the inverter software... not sure that will talk directly to their batteries though....worth a try...

I've reached out to Sungold to see if they have windows software that talks directly to their batteries and what cable/connection to use for such.

diy solar

diy solar
Back