diy solar

diy solar

Install and Operation of the SUNGOLD 10KW 48V SPLIT PHASE SOLAR INVERTER

This is likely due to the sampling frequency of the inverter vs batteries. If you tap/click the inverter icon you can get raw data. (I think it refreshes faster but I haven't confirmed it).
It could also be the idle consumption if you didn't program it into SA under the inverter settings in the configuration page (you have to disconnect from the inverter, in SA, before you can make the changes.)
It is consistently off by about 175 watts (battery output/input off by approx. 175 Lower than Load)....
I'm sure it wasn't like that before yesterday when I added the two additional batteries.

maybe the batteries have to equalize (or fully charge) for it to correct itself?

You'd think, but my communication with them has been problematic....seemingly mostly due to language barrier... :(

I did go to the inverter and try changing the protocol from Pylontech to Pace and just got an error condition.

If you get the cable for the battery you should be able to

Well @ChrisG and @42OhmsPA etc... here's what Cindy from Sungold says:

Dear Mr Kenny A. Chaffin,

If you want to monitor the battery, please download the software following link to your computer.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/10TaGv_sRIYUc9-Oq1tO2tpr2oj8HpUpL/view
Please use a RS232 cable to connect the battery to the computer. The 232 to USB communication cable has a pin definition(as the picture shown). Or you can order the RS232 cable from us, and the unit price is 35USD.

Best Regards
Cindy

Which is the same software Dexter in the video said to us. Tried it with my usb -> rj11 and got the same results as with 'Dexter's' software... won't connect...so probably the cable or the pin connections .... since Cindy mentioned it...

looking at my rj11 connections I'm thinking that may be my communication issue....

Last edited:

If you want to monitor the battery, please download the software following link to your computer.
Please use a RS232 cable to connect the battery to the computer. The 232 to USB communication cable has a pin definition(as the picture shown). Or you can order the RS232 cable from us, and the unit price is 35USD.

View attachment 177178
Best Regards
Cindy

Which is the same software Dexter in the video said to us. Tried it with my usb -> rj11 and got the same results as with 'Dexter's' software... won't connect...so probably the cable or the pin connections .... since Cindy mentioned it...
Great job on all this research Kenny, I am following along and will attempt similar soon. You’re saving me a lot of work! Haha

View attachment 177178
Best Regards
Cindy

Check windows device manager and make sure the driver is installed correctly... I've ran into so many driver issues over the years I've wanted to drive computers off a cliff.

Check windows device manager and make sure the driver is installed correctly... I've ran into so many driver issues over the years I've wanted to drive computers off a cliff.
Hmmmm....okay....not quite sure what to look for this driver...Not seeing anything like FTDI CDM Driver.... I'm no Windows expert but that's what I've used for my entire career. :)

Oh...wait I think I see it under USB ... --- oem2inf(ftdibus.inf)
and oem75inf(ftdibus.inf)

Hmmmm....okay....not quite sure what to look for this driver...Not seeing anything like FTDI CDM Driver.... I'm no Windows expert but that's what I've used for my entire career. :)

Oh...wait I think I see it under USB ... --- oem2inf(ftdibus.inf)
and oem75inf(ftdibus.inf)
I would think it would show up as a USB to serial driver. There should be an exe to install the driver with the software.
Wait - the ones you listed should be usb to serial.

I just tried disconnecting the two new batteries to see if that had any effect on the missing watts (about 175-200)....dunno maybe it was there before, maybe it is Inverter Efficiency loss (cost)....

Maybe I just didn't see it before but man, I swear I could look at that Solar Assistant and see the Load and Battary watts right in sync (off a few of course...and I could see the PV input when charging and add the battery charging + load and it would equal the PV Input...
I swear...

From Pierre at Solar Assistant

shouldn't the battery wattage (output) match the load wattage (consumption) when no solar or grid power is active?

I thought it was matching before yesterday when I added two additional batteries to my rack.

Wondering if I broke something?

Thank You

Hi Kenny

They should, but it's best to compare SolarAssistant to the inverter LCD screen to see if it's showing the correct values. From a monitoring perspective we consider those values as the correct ones regardless of whether it makes sense or not.

Kind regards
Pierre - SolarAssistant

-----

and of course this is a bit difficult because of Watts vs KWatts and the sampling rates and etc...

I'm gonna let it sit unless you guys with the same inverter tell me mine is broke. :)
I hate that 200 Watts is just disappearing somewhere...

It is different for charging (where it's missing) and running inverter off battery (where it's not being displayed)

Charging the total of Load and Battery are 100-200W less than the PV Wattage (missing wattage)

and for running off battery the Load is 100-200W less than the battery wattage. (ghost wattage)

and this morning even more cables on the way.... Ordered the cable pair from Current Connected as well as a similar sort via Amazon for delivery today. My installation may be shit, but I'm gonna talk to these batteries is it kills me. LOL!

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: o_O :eek:

and.... this morning....my battery charging watts + my Load Watts = the Pv Watts.... WTF??

...oops....changed....the matched there for a bit but now.....missing watts.... again ... WTF?

and.... this morning....my battery charging watts + my Load Watts = the Pv Watts.... WTF??

...oops....changed....the matched there for a bit but now.....missing watts.... again ... WTF?
I’ve noticed my Pv production will match my load demand, so it’s almost like the inverter is asking for enough to meet load from pv so the data looks like my pv is producing less but it’s actually just being asked for less C9415DC7-6B1B-469E-962A-86EB4B1C1C18.jpeg
Blue load yellow pv red ut

I’ve noticed my Pv production will match my load demand, so it’s almost like the inverter is asking for enough to meet load from pv so the data looks like my pv is producing less but it’s actually just being asked for less View attachment 177378
Blue load yellow pv red ut
yes, I've seen that too when the bms slows things down towards the top of the SOC...

Got the plywood and Hardie board on the wall....knocked / drilled a hole in the living room floor above.... still gotta find it down here (i.e. cut up the drywall etc.... big mess...) and run the 220 AC input down...

and with the plywood and Hardie board over drywall I should be able to mount the inverter with the supplied mounting bolts!

Got the plywood and Hardie board on the wall....knocked / drilled a hole in the living room floor above.... still gotta find it down here (i.e. cut up the drywall etc.... big mess...) and run the 220 AC input down...

and with the plywood and Hardie board over drywall I should be able to mount the inverter with the supplied mounting bolts!
Use a coat or hanger or similar diameter steel rod, cut one end on an angle put the blunt other end in your drill chuck... Find out where your hole is going to come out on the other side...

Best Regards
Cindy

looking at my rj11 connections I'm thinking that may be my communication issue....
Any luck talking to the BMS or BMS config with Pc Kenny? I need to tweak my BMS settings I think ?

Any luck talking to the BMS or BMS config with Pc Kenny? I need to tweak my BMS settings I think ?
Not yet and no response from Sungold yet either... I did just get one cable delivered but need the other two parts of my orders to test it...
I did order the cable from Current Connected use in that SOK video (same BMS apparently) no idea when it might arrive....

Glad I'm following the Bradbury method.... 'Just Jump Off the Cliff, build your Wings on the way Down'.

Now a few more pics of the day's progress

PXL_20231112_213014271.jpg
Here we go!

PXL_20231112_213344068.jpg
Got it!!

PXL_20231112_222419157.jpg
Now what do I do with it?

Not yet and no response from Sungold yet either... I did just get one cable delivered but need the other two parts of my orders to test it...
I did order the cable from Current Connected use in that SOK video (same BMS apparently) no idea when it might arrive....

Glad I'm following the Bradbury method.... 'Just Jump Off the Cliff, build your Wings on the way Down'.

Now a few more pics of the day's progress

View attachment 177448
Here we go!

View attachment 177449
Got it!!

View attachment 177450
Now what do I do with it?
10/3 romex?

diy solar

diy solar
Back