diy solar

diy solar

Install and Operation of the SUNGOLD 10KW 48V SPLIT PHASE SOLAR INVERTER

Well......that was interesting.....

Got down to about 20% SOC. I was expecting the same behavior as I saw the first time the batteries went down. That one (and only til now) time the batteries dropped to 10% SOC and the grid kicked in switched to grid power for load and began charging the batteries which I allowed and let continue til fully charged at 100%.

Since then I've added 2, maybe 3 additional Sungold 48V 100AH SG48100P rack mount batteries. Behavior this time was different...lot of power usage yesterday and very little sun. I know we were going to bottom out some time in the next couple of days because of clouds, snow, weather.

got down to about 20% SOC and bam! Error 04 Battery under voltage stop discharging alarm.
the inverter went to grid and began charging but alarm continued. I checked the battery params and yes at least one of the 'packs'/batteries dropped below the value (52V).

It says a restart will clear the error, but that didn't work. Turned inverter off and back on and no difference....still alarm even though voltage had recovered above the threshold of 52v

I tried turning AC grid off and back on with no difference ... still alarm...bypass for load..and charging battery...

so then I thought okay a Complete shut down and restart I guess....

began the process - Turned all batteries off and alarm cleared....so turned batteries back on and inverter went back to 'normal' operation but still charging batteries at about 3kw...now back up to 31% SOC and all operating 'normally' (other than I'm on grid and grid bypass.

I'm thinking I'll let batteries charge to full capacity as see if we return to SOC operations and disable grid bypass....

this of course will totally screw my plans to evaluate the full month of using the system and its effect on my Xcel power bill. :( :( :(
(but this will also give me a chance to do a 'full' cycle on the batteries to see if that makes a difference in the discrepencies I'm seeing on Solar Assistant between Load/PV/Battery status/usage.

May need to adjust some of the default parameters as much as I'd prefer not to.

P.S. one other item...I did have a disconnect of my RaspberryPi to Battery Monitoring yesterday....manually reconnected and operating normally again... Hmmmm....

Last edited:
That usb port may be an achilles heel on that model of inverter.....
This was the connection between the raspberry Pi and the inverter rs232...nothing to do with the inverter...

Followup: batteries still charging from grid at about 3 Kw... at 76% I'm going to just standby and see what happens when 100 % SOC...

Well....didn't make it to 100% as it did before. Stopped at about 85% SOC (will have to investigate why) ... maybe because of voltage settings or that PV came on with sun peeking through...but it stopped charging but left the grid on powering loads.... hmmm....

That usb port may be an achilles heel on that model of inverter.....
What makes you say that?

Well....didn't make it to 100% as it did before. Stopped at about 85% SOC (will have to investigate why) ... maybe because of voltage settings or that PV came on with sun peeking through...but it stopped charging but left the grid on powering loads.... hmmm....
I'd bet a steak dinner your cells are out of balance and the settings with communications enabled are charging to aggressively, causing the BMS to go to OVP...
You've figured out how to access the BMS via PC, iirc?
What's the 100% value in the BMS settings?

I'd bet a steak dinner your cells are out of balance and the settings with communications enabled are charging to aggressively, causing the BMS to go to OVP...
You've figured out how to access the BMS via PC, iirc?
Definitely something with settings either in the inverter or the BMS....I'm betting the BMS.... I'm very unsure about all these battery settings...and it seems many are different than the default. I'm sort of assuming they were adjusted when I set the battery type etc. as instructed by Sungold. But who knows.... I know I did not alter anything other than the AC output priority to SBU instead of UTI.

I'm going to have to learn a bunch about this battery charging/discharging etc.

I'm even more confused because the first time my batteries 'bottomed out' they seemed to be operating from the SOC ... hit 10% went to grid....charged to 100% and stopped (but stuck/stayed on grid for load instead of switching back to SBU/battery)....

Not sure what you mean by 100% value....but I'm looking at pack 1
seeing SOC 87
SOH 100% (not sure what that is??)

I need a beginners course in batteries I think :)

Pack 2 is
SOC 76
and
SOH 100%

Pack 4
SOC 97
SOH 100%

Not sure what you mean by 100% value....but I'm looking at pack 1
seeing SOC 87
SOH 100% (not sure what that is??)

I need a beginners course in batteries I think :)

Pack 2 is
SOC 76
and
SOH 100%

Pack 4
SOC 97
SOH 100%
You would need to connect to the BMS with a PC and the BMS software.
From there you could see what cell voltage the BMS is trying to charge to to read 100%.... I bet it's 3.6v / 3600mv or higher... No need to charge this high.

Here's just one of many great posts by @Steve_S explaining things way better than I care or care to type.

You would see data similar to the photos I posted if you are able to communicate with the BMS via PC.

Oh and SOH = state of health.

Attachments

• IMG_20231027_135827.jpg
    IMG_20231027_135827.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20231027_135901.jpg
    IMG_20231027_135901.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
Definitely something with settings either in the inverter or the BMS....I'm betting the BMS.... I'm very unsure about all these battery settings...and it seems many are different than the default. I'm sort of assuming they were adjusted when I set the battery type etc. as instructed by Sungold. But who knows.... I know I did not alter anything other than the AC output priority to SBU instead of UTI.
I'm betting the inverter trying to charge to BMS programmed full cell values... See post above.
So glad I don't deal with battery to inverter comms and run off voltage....
I'm going to have to learn a bunch about this battery charging/discharging etc.
I'm learning everyday.
I'm even more confused because the first time my batteries 'bottomed out' they seemed to be operating from the SOC ... hit 10% went to grid....charged to 100% and stopped (but stuck/stayed on grid for load instead of switching back to SBU/battery)....
What is the wiring configuration for your battery packs? Pack to pack and main run to inverter?

What is the wiring configuration for your battery packs? Pack to pack and main run to inverter?
Yes.

I just don't understand these params/values and what they mean ... SOC I got but what's SOH?

Can't seem to find a manual for PBMS tools that explains everything...

I don't understand your question. If you are talking about microinverters on the panels then no, I don't think so.
Yes, microinverters on the panels. Any inverter can do that, that's similar to this one?

You would need to connect to the BMS with a PC and the BMS software.
From there you could see what cell voltage the BMS is trying to charge to to read 100%.... I bet it's 3.6v / 3600mv or higher... No need to charge this high.

Here's just one of many great posts by @Steve_S explaining things way better than I care or care to type.

You would see data similar to the photos I posted if you are able to communicate with the BMS via PC.

Oh and SOH = state of health.
Yeah, got that...thanks....let me try to decipher this...

well, I'm pretty lost... I don't really care about the cells unless that is somehow affecting my overall operation of the inverter... what I need to understand is how it decides when to charge, stop charging, what params control that and also when how etc it switches grid on and off to do that.

My goal is to limit grid usage to minimum and run as much as possible from solar and batteries and also of course to manage the batteries is such a way as to keep them healthy and extend their life....

So much to learn.

I'm confused as to the difference in the first time the system went to grid to charge batteries and the second time today.
I'll figure it out eventually but seems very different events.
1st time seemed to be associated with SOC
this time it seems to have to do with voltages rather than SOC

Last edited:
Yes.

I just don't understand these params/values and what they mean ... SOC I got but what's SOH?

Can't seem to find a manual for PBMS tools that explains everything...
SOH is state of health as mentioned above.
I doubt you will find a manual that explains everything, that's what the forum is for. ?
Yeah, got that...thanks....let me try to decipher this...

well, I'm pretty lost... I don't really care about the cells unless that is somehow affecting my overall operation of the inverter...
I think the cells may be if you are using BMS communications...
what I need to understand is how it decides when to charge, stop charging, what params control that and also when how etc it switches grid on and off to do that.
I only know how this works using voltage based settings and it works well. I've been through the settings section of the manual numerous times, it makes sense the more you read it. I'll share the latest version of the manual SRNE sent me, there are more details than the printed manual.
My goal is to limit grid usage to minimum and run as much as possible from solar and batteries and also of course to manage the batteries is such a way as to keep them healthy and extend their life....
Run in SBU, charge with OSO.
Cuttoff to grid at 48V, go back to battery at 51V or lower.
Bulk charge to 55.6V (lower this if you get over voltage errors because a cell is running) hold for ~1 hour, float charge at 44.8V - 55.2V.
So much to learn.
Every day. In a few months it will all make sense....
I'm confused as to the difference in the first time the system went to grid to charge batteries and the second time today.
I'll figure it out eventually but seems very different events.
1st time seemed to be associated with SOC
this time it seems to have to do with voltages rather than SOC
What are and what were your settings?
(keep a cheat sheat / log book...)

Attachments

• SRNE ASF v2.3.zip
    7.8 MB · Views: 9
SOH is state of health as mentioned above.
I doubt you will find a manual that explains everything, that's what the forum is for. ?

I think the cells may be if you are using BMS communications...

I only know how this works using voltage based settings and it works well. I've been through the settings section of the manual numerous times, it makes sense the more you read it. I'll share the latest version of the manual SRNE sent me, there are more details than the printed manual.

Bulk charge to 55.6V (lower this if you get over voltage errors because a cell is running) hold for ~1 hour, float charge at 44.8V - 55.2V.

Every day. In a few months it will all make sense....

What are and what were your settings?
(keep a cheat sheat / log book...)
That's almost identical to the one that came with the Sungold

Attachments

• SPH_split_phase_solar_charger_inverter_user_manual_3.0-20231012.zip
    2.3 MB · Views: 2
I'll check my values against this and see ... also yeah....wish I'd copied the original values and my changes....will begin to track them now. I may have inadvertently made minor changes trying to figure out the interface etc...

Mine are definitely different than that.

01 - Run in SBU
06 - Charge in OSO
04 - Switch to grid at 43.6
05 - Switch to battery 57.6
09 - Bulk Charge 56.4
10 - Bulk Charging Delay 120
11 - Float Charge 56.4

I've no idea what those bulk and float things are and I don't think I changed any of them other than 01 and 06
I did set the battery type etc as Sungold indicated but don't know it that automatically changed other parameters (like float or bulk charge etc)
I've reached out to Sungold to ask for default params (if different than manual) and if changing the battery type would have changed other params because the don't all match the defaults listed in the manual ... particularly the various voltages, limits, etc.

I have idea if you can 'reset to defaults' and start over .... probably not given my experience with the POS Wifi (which didn't allow reset to factory :) )...

Onward and Upward!

Last edited:
Well......that was interesting.....

Got down to about 20% SOC. I was expecting the same behavior as I saw the first time the batteries went down. That one (and only til now) time the batteries dropped to 10% SOC and the grid kicked in switched to grid power for load and began charging the batteries which I allowed and let continue til fully charged at 100%.

Since then I've added 2, maybe 3 additional Sungold 48V 100AH SG48100P rack mount batteries. Behavior this time was different...lot of power usage yesterday and very little sun. I know we were going to bottom out some time in the next couple of days because of clouds, snow, weather.

got down to about 20% SOC and bam! Error 04 Battery under voltage stop discharging alarm.
the inverter went to grid and began charging but alarm continued. I checked the battery params and yes at least one of the 'packs'/batteries dropped below the value (52V).

It says a restart will clear the error, but that didn't work. Turned inverter off and back on and no difference....still alarm even though voltage had recovered above the threshold of 52v

I tried turning AC grid off and back on with no difference ... still alarm...bypass for load..and charging battery...

so then I thought okay a Complete shut down and restart I guess....

began the process - Turned all batteries off and alarm cleared....so turned batteries back on and inverter went back to 'normal' operation but still charging batteries at about 3kw...now back up to 31% SOC and all operating 'normally' (other than I'm on grid and grid bypass.

I'm thinking I'll let batteries charge to full capacity as see if we return to SOC operations and disable grid bypass....

this of course will totally screw my plans to evaluate the full month of using the system and its effect on my Xcel power bill. :( :( :(
(but this will also give me a chance to do a 'full' cycle on the batteries to see if that makes a difference in the discrepencies I'm seeing on Solar Assistant between Load/PV/Battery status/usage.

May need to adjust some of the default parameters as much as I'd prefer not to.

P.S. one other item...I did have a disconnect of my RaspberryPi to Battery Monitoring yesterday....manually reconnected and operating normally again... Hmmmm....
The same thing happened to me and I alarmed until 97% SOC and then started discharging again to run the inverter later that night. I noticed the alarm clear is a lagger sometimes. Best case is to ignore and don’t touch anything lmao

From Sungold WRT Factory Settings for 10K48 inverter:

If you want to reset the inverter to default (factory) settings, please disconnect the AC input, PV input and the loads to the inverter, and only turn the inverter on with battery connected only. Then please press two buttons in the middle of the screen (up and down) at the same time for about 5s-10s, and the green box will flash (as picture shown). Then please power off the inverter and restart it.

unnamed.jpg

Best Regards
Cindy

from a post elsewhere:

My Solar Exploits

Not a lot to report. Had a multi-day overcast and snow and the batteries bottomed out and the system automatically switched to grid power and started charging the batteries. The confusing thing is that it made the switch at a different point and in a different manner than the first time. No big deal, but will need to figure out why and maybe adjust some parameters.

This bottoming out puts a small glitch in my hopes of running a full month just from Solar/Batteries but still hoping to see a significant difference in the monthly Xcel bill…should know in a couple of weeks.

Also moved my panels around in the backyard to hopefully better take advantage of the winter sun. Moved one set back against the rear fence where I can leave them at a more productive angle. We’ll see.

Enjoy!

#solar #power #solarpowere #energy #storage #harvesting #battery

PXL_20231126_181003664.jpg

diy solar

diy solar
Back