diy solar

diy solar

Is 240v really necessary?

Actually, if I configure it, my three MPP 6048's can output three phase 120/208.
The bigger machines in the shop already had VFD's on them since no 3-phase was available from the utility, I just kept those rather than building a 3-phase system, which would then require me to balance that 3-phase power, ah, no thanks!
I'm actively looking for 3 phase stuff so I can VFD them. Mostly a motor for my existing 5 HP 240v compressor and a complete 5HP wood planer. Just so I can ramp them up slowly. My inverters (4x SI) can handle the surge, I just don't want to stress them.

I'm curious if you specifically need AC pumps? So many DC pumps exist for different applications that it might be more efficient - provided you don't already have AC pumps in place.

Last edited:
I'm curious if need AC pumps? So many DC pumps exist for different applications that it might be more efficient - provided you don't already have AC pumps in place.
The issues with DC pumps are several.

Not that they are bad, but the installations usually are a good distance from the power supply; higher voltage AC doesn’t notice the same way.
Secondly, the cost of larger cabling for lower voltage, higher amps DC is a factor to consider.
Lastly, the sheer volume of 120V/240V product at the high-efficiency end of the market usually can land you where you want to go rather than having to choose from a limited selection.

I feel DC pumps work best from a near-by surface/shallow bury tank, pumping a short distance from the point of use. Keep the cables short and the pressures low, like an RV set up really.

The issues with DC pumps are several.

Not that they are bad, but the installations usually are a good distance from the power supply; higher voltage AC doesn’t notice the same way.
Secondly, the cost of larger cabling for lower voltage, higher amps DC is a factor to consider.
Lastly, the sheer volume of 120V/240V product at the high-efficiency end of the market usually can land you where you want to go rather than having to choose from a limited selection.
Oooh, yeah, I can see now where that would definitely be a factor. I was thinking about the inverter loss going from DC to AC and wasn't really thinking about it being a DEEP well (went back and reread the original post).

Back